Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never said it wouldn't kill Elk,just said there are better choices out there.If someone has to ask this question,then there not as experienced as the ones like R-13 and Buzz H posted.

I am thinking not about old cranky Ranchers(smiling R-13) and there field experiences living the life unlike a huge majority here that have limited time to hunt and scout and usually pay big bucks to go hunting and ask if this or that works....

I to have seen the 243 kill Elk,more than once or twice but there are much better choices out there for the average hunter.

Jayco

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by joecool544
Killed seven elk with the 6mm Rem, five with the 100 gr. Partition two with out. From 20 yards to 300 only had to shoot one twice but wasn't using the Partitions on that one.

Will it kill elk? yes. Is there better choices? Yes

From someone who has used it, this pretty much says it all.

Scenerio: You are presented with a 300 yard shot at a world record elk. You have at your side a 243/6mm and a 300 win mag. You shoot both equally well. Which are you gonna pick up? Should a lowly cow get any less respect?

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If being under gunned is showing disrespect and the converse is true, I am very respectful as I am usually over gunned.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Originally Posted by joecool544
Killed seven elk with the 6mm Rem, five with the 100 gr. Partition two with out. From 20 yards to 300 only had to shoot one twice but wasn't using the Partitions on that one.

Will it kill elk? yes. Is there better choices? Yes

From someone who has used it, this pretty much says it all.

Scenerio: You are presented with a 300 yard shot at a world record elk. You have at your side a 243/6mm and a 300 win mag. You shoot both equally well. Which are you gonna pick up? Should a lowly cow get any less respect?

re�spect   /rɪˈspɛkt/ Show Spelled
[ri-spekt] Show IPA

�noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
7. favor or partiality.
8. Archaic . a consideration.
�verb (used with object)
9. to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat.
10. to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
11. to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.
12. to relate or have reference to.
�Idioms
13. in respect of, in reference to; in regard to; concerning.
14. in respect that, Archaic . because of; since.
15. pay one's respects,
a. to visit in order to welcome, greet, etc.: We paid our respects to the new neighbors.
b. to express one's sympathy, esp. to survivors following a death: We paid our respects to the family.
16. with respect to, referring to; concerning: with respect to your latest request.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use to hang out with an old rancher that lived in North West Montana. While I knew him in the 70's and 80's Pass on in '88. He would collect his elk and every thing else with an old 243 that he bought new sometime around 1960. He told me something that had stuck with me and my shooting ever since, No matter how far the game is close the distance by half before you shoot. As for bullets its easier on them when all you have to do is punch a hole in the ribs, put a hole in the lungs or the heart and it don't matter a wit what you shot it with. I never shot an elk with a 6mm but I did collect a couple with a 6.5 x 55 and a 7 x 57. These days I shoot a 7mm RM mostly do to the rifle I bought some years back. We tend to go with much bigger cartridges these days, this is due to a couple of things, hunting seasons are short, and we don't have the time to be picky about distance and shot angles, like in the past. And well its tough just getting a shot these days due to the wisdom of re introducing wolves. No a 6 mmm would not be my go to rifle for elk, I would hunt with a 6.5 mm, just because I like just a bit more bullet weight than what you get with a 6mm. There is always going to be a trade off on this, Smaller Cartridges can be housed in lighter guns that are reasonable in the recoil and shootablity for most. The heavier cartridges, need heavier guns to keep recoil with in reason. Since 1980 my rife of choice for elk and moose has been a 338 winchester, I am 30 years older now, and I rather carry a lighter rifle, so a 7.5 lb 7mm RM works for me. a 338 housed in that light a rifle would be a hand full to shoot well. At least that is how it is with me. In the end, we end up with either a 270 or a 30-06 performance and recoil. Somethings never change.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone for the great insights on using a 243 or 6mm for elk. Sounds like it will kill elk but as most said there are better choices.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It never ceases to amaze me the hunter today who really believe the 6mm and 243 aren't enough to even hunt Whitetail with. I would bet more Elk have been killed with the 30-30 Win than any other round out there. No matter what you use to hunt Elk with just be aware of your rifle and your own limitations.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Hate to bring actual experience to an internet forum, but.....
Over the last 50 years with the 243 I have seen both over the shoulder and thru the scope one shot kills on elk everywhere from powder burn close in the timber to... well better not say or some twit's liable to get their panties twisted. Only know of a couple dozen out of the entire bunch that used anything other than a cup and core hornady 100 gr bullet. The other bullet was the Nosler partition and that's because that's what my Moms rifle shot the best...
As with any cartridge YOU MUST put the bullet where it will do the most good, and anybody that thinks you need something big to shoot thru an elks paunch and kill it probably haven't shot enough elk to matter.
Bottom line yes the 100 gr bullet from a 243/6mm remington will kill elk dead, and as with a 338 if you blow ones hind leg off you still got a mess....
Some of you bonafide experts could tell the old guy in this picture that a 100 gr 6mm bullet isn't anygood except up close and on small elk, and he'ld laugh in your face.
[Linked Image]

Kind of weirdo to see an elk on the lope flats like that, private land by chance?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of those Elk who must have lost his way.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I know my brother in law shot many a mule deer and 17 plus bull elk with his model 70 Winchester .243 caliber. I waited over 4 decades before I oppted to try my luck with a 25-06 that got the job done.

However, I truly believe considering types of shots and yardage to boot, that the .243 caliber should really stop at mule deer. I myself would never grab anything in the way of a rifle caliber less than the 6.5/06 with 140 grain bullet or better yet, those 160 grain bullets.

Now maybe some of the hunters can shrug my idea of ethics out the window and that is their previlege but I'll stick to my guns on elk calibers, thus starting with the 6.5/06 then go upward.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/11/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea one of those good ideas the game and fish had gone bad. Turn a bunch of elk loose on a ranch and then treat them like transplanted pheasants. Worked good till the ranch changed hands. Then those transplanted elk didn't get shot off due to new owners charging for hunting etc.
Meantime they spread out and the Game and Fish really screwed up and forgot to manage them. Herd grew to about 5-600 and spread from Nebraska to Laramie Peak.
See Wyoming elk area 3.
Elk and private land like that don't mix. Nothing to put you in a better mood than having 150 of the sorry bastards grubbin your alfalfa to the dirt , 10 license for the area, and a dumb ass biologist telling you you ain't nuthin but a pickupseat biologist.

But I've got better horns hangin on the wall that was shot on the Upper Green River with a 243..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was the only arm I owned, OK, but be very conservative on ones shots. Personally though, I'd put some effort into finding something with a bit more uuummmph.

1Minute
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You are presented with a 300 yard shot at a world record elk. You have at your side a 243/6mm and a 300 win mag. You shoot both equally well. Which are you gonna pick up? Should a lowly cow get any less respect?

What would be the difference, if both are loaded with TSX? The bullet will penetrate plenty from each.

I'd pick the 243 because I know that I would shoot it much better than the 300 and have much more confidence in it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Cut that in aprox. half (150-200 yards) and only shoot on broadside, behind the shoulder shots, and you will probably be OK.

I would use one only if there were NO other options and then be very selective on my shots.

Nah, I have a 243 that has now accounted for 9 elk--7 by me, and 2 more in the hands of youngsters. I would strongly recommend a premium bullet. I use 100gr Partitions.

Broadside shots out to 300 yds have all been pass-throughs, quartering away or towards me the bullets have stopped in the off shoulder.

15 years ago, I did watch a hunter shoot a bull 3 times with 100 gr Core-Lokts at about 40 yds. The little 4 point bull never moved until the third shot--then he took a step backwards and keeled over.

The 243 ain't a shoulder breaker, I wouldn't try a last ditch Texas Heart shot at a big bull going dead away, and I would be leery at taking a 400 yd shot. But all the 100 gr Partitions recovered look just like all the different caliber Partitions I've dug out of deer/elk/pronghorns/bears/sheep over the years.

My 11 year old is kind've smallish for his age, but when he goes elk hunting with Grampa next year, he'll be packing that 243.......he's the reason I originally bought the rifle in the first place...... grin

That rifle has good elk karma.

Now I'm gonna have to buy a 243 for my own or break out my "big" 270's........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Wife has killed many elk with her 243. She is picky about the shots she takes and is deadly accurate.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My 17 year old brother shot a bull this year with a .243 using a 95 grain slug. He dropped it with one shot and he didn't move an inch after he hit the ground. I would not hesitate if you feel confident in your shooting ability, but isn't that how it should be with all calibers?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boxelderhunt
My 17 year old brother shot a bull this year with a .243 using a 95 grain slug. He dropped it with one shot and he didn't move an inch after he hit the ground. I would not hesitate if you feel confident in your shooting ability, but isn't that how it should be with all calibers?

There is no doubt a .243/6mm bullet can kill an elk � that has been proven many times.

Best choice for most people/situations? Nope, not even close IMO.

Since I started hunting elk in 1982 I have seen more elk wounded and lost by hunters using a .243/6mm than probably all other calibers combined. A .243/6mm wouldn�t be my first choice.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good Lord, what a thread. I am sorry but it upsets me that some folks always try to see what the lightest combination of caliber and bullet that can be used to take an animal as big as an elk. That falls into the category of "stunt hunting" in my book.

You can wish for perfect broadside shots at 150 yards or less but you damn well should PLAN on other eventualities as well! Same argument on bullets. I don't choose a bullet that works when things are perfect, I choose a bullet that will perform when things are NOT perfect. The same rationale should be applied to your choice of caliber.

Good Lord...these are big animals! Is a 243 or 6mm the best a person has to shoot with? If so, go buy something bigger.

Flame away.....give it your best shot. I still have my asbestos underwear on from last time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am been hunting 70 years yet but I killed elk with 338 win, 300 wby mag, 30-06, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag. I just never used anything I considered smaller, like a 243. I believe I know where to hit an Elk to make it drop. Some people tell me the older you are more you want to use something smaller to shoot. I not sure about that. My 300 wby has been getting the job done for 30 years and will continue to kill elk if I point it in the right place. I figure a 243 will kill elk too if it is pointed in the right place.

Last edited by DayPacker; 01/17/11.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...lotta elk in Georgia? It amazes me how many people think they are bullet proof and you need a cannon to kill them. Let's see, I have taken 14 now with a stick that has a sharp point on the end. What was the question again? Oh yeah, .243 and elk. Not the best choice, but sure gets it done. I like the 100 grain Hornady Flat base spire points the best. I lost count long ago how many critters, both big and small have fallen to that bullet. It always stays together, penetrates very well and really messes stuff up inside. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 49 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.