Print Thread
Hop To
#469345 04/09/05
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have a Sony model DCR-TRV230 camcorder. It does not use a memory stick. It's about 4 yrs. old. I have taken 28 tapes ( probably 35 hrs.) of my grand children. I wanted to see if I could download it to my computer, & make some movies. Never tried this yet.

My problem is this camcorder does not have a "jack/cord" that you can hook into a "usb" port of my computer. In the manual it says to use a "sony i.link" cable. Never heard or seen a "i Link" cable. Has any one ever tried to down load 8mm digital tapes from this model Sony to a computer with this "i.link" ? Or could some one refer me to some site that may answer this question. I haven't made to much headway with the sony web site. Thanks

Gene
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just tried something for you... go to www.google.com and put Sony i Link Cable...in the Search.....it produces a ton of results, including one Sony at 21.88....

Looks like they would be available in two different lengths and at many different prices... 4"-9" and 11 foot

you might wanna check locally at something like a Best Buy, CompUSA or Circuit City or any Video Camera/Camera retailer....I'd guess its a common cable to other than just Sony....

If you buy Sony Brand its probably gonna cost ya a little extra and there are probably aftermarket cables that work just as well and cost somewhat less....

Both can be seen at www.sonystyle.com the 4'-9" cable has a Sony Part Number: VMC-IL4415 and the 11' cable has a Sony Part Number: VMC-IL4435....if you put that number in the Search Box, one at a time, it will take you to the cable with info....or just call 1-877-865-Sony for phone orders

If you search again in google and leave the word Sony out it will take you to results that are other than Sony....it looks like they are made in 4pin to 4pin and 4pin to 6pin....Sony is 4pin to 6pin
Bottom of the first page is BestValuePlus.net @ 33.42 for the 4pin to 6pin .....

Good Luck......

Last edited by Alaskan454; 04/09/05.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Alaskan454,

I see what you mean about a ton, of results, don't know what I was doing wrong. I will get one, & see if I can transfer the tapes.

Thanks

Gene
P
Pat Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had the same problem a few months back. A trip to the local CompUSA solved the problem. I purchased "Pinnacle Studio AV" for analog camcorders. Comes with a card for the puter' that solves all of the little bugaboos.
If you have a fairly new computer, it should work well for you also. Video can eat a hard drive for breakfast, so you need a fairly large drive, 4 Gig per 20 minutes of video. Once you have it captured on the drive, burn it to DVD or what ever your preference. (The card that comes with it has outputs VHS, etc.) Look around a CompUSA.com & see what ya' like.
My Camcorder is a Sony HandyCam, has the place for the Yellow & Black wires...
Pat

Last edited by Pat; 04/10/05.

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Pat,
Thanks for the info. I have a circuit city, & a best buy, with in 30 miles, so I 'll try one of those.

Gene
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You will need some sort of video editing software as the others have mentioned. Also do not buy the Sony ilink cable all that you need is 1e3394 firewire cable. It will be much cheaper and it is the same thing. Your computer will need a firewire port also.

You will also need a good bit of harddrive space as video will eat up space in a hurry.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Last week my sons bought me a Dell, with a 512 dual ram, & 80 gig. hard drive, CD R/W.

Bamahunter,

Since I am not to smart on this, if I don't go with the "ilink", & go with the cable you identified, I'll have to buy a "firewall" port connector for my computer, right ?

In my simple mind, what I would like to do, since I have 6 USB ports, is to use a connection from the camcorder to "something", that I could connect from that "something" to one of the USB ports in my computer. Is this possible ?

Alaskan454, Pat, or Bamahunter,

Maybe I am I trying to make this more "simplier" than I can , by just trying to go from my camcorder to "something", & then to a USB port ? Can I do that ? There is software in the computer,on a trail bases, because ever so often, it tells me I have so many days to buy the package**really never paid much attention to it. I think it's Adobe 5 , for some thing like $50 or 60 . I guess the next time it "pop's" up, instead of telling it , "later", I should see what it is. Thanks

Gene

Gene
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Gene.... great question. I have a similar interest.

I went right to the manual for my new Dell (as Iam sure you did) and it only makes mention of Trouble shooting IEEE1394...

Back to google and searched " firewire connection to computer ".....tons of info, again

Looks like the USB 2.0 Port can be used but it provides a very slow transfer rate....next option will be to install a card (Video Capture Card) that has the Firewire Port which is somewhat covered in the Dell Manual in " Removing and Installing Parts" ...too bad we didn't have this card factory-installed by Dell...I see now it was an option

Looks like that card will come with the software required to transfer video from DV camera to computer hard-drive and to edit also..... maybe your DV camera came with a CD for that also....

I think what he's saying about the cable is that the Sony Brand iLink cable isn't required as any Firewire cable will work, and cost less......

Maybe someone will jump in and help us here again....

Last edited by Alaskan454; 04/11/05.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 14,938 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,146
Posts18,542,544
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.