-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a 2010 Taco double cab 4x4 LWB TRD Sport and have 8500 miles on it now. I have the JBL sound system, which I�d recommend. The bucket seats suck and as they only have the manual back and forth movement for leg room along with a tilting backrest. I previously owned a 2006 SLT GMC EXT cab and miss the creature comforts (8 way power leather seats). The ride on the Taco is firm, responsive and handling is sports car like compared to the full size GM versions that I�ve owned over the past 20 years. I like the smooth 5 speed automatic transmission and ease of 4H and 4L and VSC. The 4.0 engine is certainly more then adequate. It seems to move through the snow very well. I have not gotten it stuck yet and have been through some deep hard and soft packed snow. I do like the rear seat fold down set-up a lot and the bed has plenty of tie downs (I added 2 additional). It can tow 4500 lbs which is all I need (drift boat). Everything inside the cab is manual for controls, i.e. seats, temp/heater, trip meter, etc. for a top of the line model like the JBL TRD Sport. I added a tri-fold Torza Tonneau cover and OEM Nerf Bars. I get 18 to 22 MPG depending on my driving. I was getting 17mpg in my GMC all the time??? Overall, I�d rate my 8 months of owning and driving a Taco 7.5 out of 10. I like the looks of the truck and it will hold a high resale value. With the Toyota name it should last a long time. I�ve had zero problems to date. If I had to do it all over again, I�d probably buy Tundra. I�m a 6 foot 225 lb guy with mostly in town driving. I do an average amount of off road driving in spring and fall, along with light towing or a drift boat.

"Life is tough"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an 07 Tundra and would never buy another. It was hands down the worst truck I've ever owned. If I went back to Toyota it would be in a Tacoma or 4-Runner. I have actually been thinking about picking up a double cab Tacoma, Toyota dominates the market in that size truck

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
2009 Tacoma double cab. Generally OK with it, needed a truck that was moderate size, but could still have reasonable seating in the back to haul kids, grand parents, etc. The Nissan rear seating was much smaller. I kinda wish there were a better option on the market but I couldn't find it. Honda Ridgeline wasn't an option: to much vulnerable stuff hanging down, not enough clearance, no low-range.

Mileage 16-18 in town, 20-22 on the road at any reasonable speed, on Revo load-range C tires. Probably could do better on the highway with a lighter tire. The highway tires on the regular version are crap and I got rid of them immediately. The TRD has Goodrich tires that are OK.

I've had some warranty issues: transmission programming sucked (downshifted erratically) and they took 9 months to develop a reflash to fix it, but they did and it's fine now. The heater didn't work well and they had to take the whole dash apart to replace a plastic air door that had the foam insulation falling off. Cupholder broke. The driveline clunks when you release the brakes unless you keep it very well lubed, and even then sometimes. The engine surges slightly when at a stop and will actually pull forward an inch or two against the brakes. I"m used to it, but my wife finds it disconcerting. They also had a recall on the gas pedal, and at the same time reflashed the ECU AGAIN this time to install software that kills the power back to idle if the brake and the accelerator are both heavily applied. They did this right: you can still use power and brake when off road, it only kicks in if the accelerator is floored and the brakes applied. I tested it to confirm that it worked right.

Main complaint: rear springs are too soft. With anything resembling a hunting trip load (well below the max load spec), it ends up hitting the rubber snubbers hard on any sharp bumps. There is a Technical Service Bulletin under which dealers will *sometimes* replace the springs with heavier ones, but you have to demonstrate the problem by bringing in the truck with a measured load and show them that the springs sag. Basically, it's a very front heavy truck, and they designed the spring rates to match and give a balanced ride with the bed empty, which is how most people test drive them. So if you put a load in the back, the rear springs are too soft and it bottoms. I may get around to getting that TSB done while it's still under warranty. Also the leaf springs squeak, sounds like jalopy.

Still, there's nothing else on the market the quite does what I need to here I am. Mine was assembled in Mexico.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like my 07 Access Cab with the 4cyl. You're right about the rear springs. I didn't hear about the TSB until mine was out of warranty and the dealer here wanted $1,000 to replace the rear springs, so I haven't gone back. I've checked into getting a professional spring manufacturer/repair place to fix it and they will take your truck for a day and build/install a set of rear springs to suit your own load conditions for $425. I may do that one of these days. I'm reluctant to buy some extra leaf kit and end up getting nothing more than a harsher ride.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 12/19/10.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I'd put a set of airbags on if I needed to haul heavy only occasionally. Leaves the empty ride smooth, and just air up when you need the extra spring resistance. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I understand what you are saying because I have airbags on my F-250 and I love them. I may end up doing that to the Tacoma also, but at this point I'm still "shopping".

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
One other thing about my model of Taco: the shocks are pretty weak and the front end especially is under-damped. Another time, I would buy the TRD model which comes with Bilsteins. I particularly notice it if I go into a deep but smooth hole or swale on a muddy road. On the upside of the bump, the front end of the truck rebounds way too much, the suspension hits the bottom stops, and your head hits the roof. It's kind of a low-rider hydraulic jack effect, which is great if that's what you want. Sometimes this even happens on the ramps going into parking lots if I go in too briskly, or on speed bumps. At some point I will upgrade the shocks, though if I get the TSB done I think that includes new shocks which perhaps will fix the problem. The truck is generally competent on trails but you do have to keep the speed down and watch out for certain kinds of bumps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PeaEye
2009 Tacoma double cab. Generally OK with it, needed a truck that was moderate size, but could still have reasonable seating in the back to haul kids, grand parents, etc. The Nissan rear seating was much smaller. I kinda wish there were a better option on the market but I couldn't find it. Honda Ridgeline wasn't an option: to much vulnerable stuff hanging down, not enough clearance, no low-range.

Mileage 16-18 in town, 20-22 on the road at any reasonable speed, on Revo load-range C tires. Probably could do better on the highway with a lighter tire. The highway tires on the regular version are crap and I got rid of them immediately. The TRD has Goodrich tires that are OK.

I've had some warranty issues: transmission programming sucked (downshifted erratically) and they took 9 months to develop a reflash to fix it, but they did and it's fine now. The heater didn't work well and they had to take the whole dash apart to replace a plastic air door that had the foam insulation falling off. Cupholder broke. The driveline clunks when you release the brakes unless you keep it very well lubed, and even then sometimes. The engine surges slightly when at a stop and will actually pull forward an inch or two against the brakes. I"m used to it, but my wife finds it disconcerting. They also had a recall on the gas pedal, and at the same time reflashed the ECU AGAIN this time to install software that kills the power back to idle if the brake and the accelerator are both heavily applied. They did this right: you can still use power and brake when off road, it only kicks in if the accelerator is floored and the brakes applied. I tested it to confirm that it worked right.

Main complaint: rear springs are too soft. With anything resembling a hunting trip load (well below the max load spec), it ends up hitting the rubber snubbers hard on any sharp bumps. There is a Technical Service Bulletin under which dealers will *sometimes* replace the springs with heavier ones, but you have to demonstrate the problem by bringing in the truck with a measured load and show them that the springs sag. Basically, it's a very front heavy truck, and they designed the spring rates to match and give a balanced ride with the bed empty, which is how most people test drive them. So if you put a load in the back, the rear springs are too soft and it bottoms. I may get around to getting that TSB done while it's still under warranty. Also the leaf springs squeak, sounds like jalopy.

Still, there's nothing else on the market the quite does what I need to here I am. Mine was assembled in Mexico.

Mine is an '08 Taco TRD 4-door and I threw Toyo 265/75 MT's on it. I can't rub tires no matter how hard it's cranked over,or how much daylight I gather beneath same.

All I've done is beat the dogschit outta it and I love it like few other things in this World. Far and away the best crummy I've ever been in.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Stick, do you have the 5 speed man. or automatic?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6-speed...and having had 5-speeds from inception,I did some humorous things while searching for reverse on the first day..............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stick,
how are the 265/75's working out. My 07 is the same truck. Mine came with 265/70's and I replaced them with 245/75's when they wore out partly because I couldn't find any 265/70's I liked. It came down to 245/75 or 265/75 and I was concerned about losing power going to a bigger tire. I could really tell the difference years ago when I replaced the tires on a 85 f-150 I had with larger tires.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab Long Bed.
V6, 5spd Auto
850 Miles
15 days old
Mileage not so great 15-17 mpg. should get better once broke in.
Good room in cab for a small truck, bigger than a Ranger, Colorado
Comfortable seats, leather and heated
Very quiet
Rides like a car
Hate the so called adjustable steering wheel.
Radio is ok, had the Bose in my chevy miss that.
Power is ok for a v6.
Trans needs another gear, pulls 2100 rpm at 70 mph.
Easy to manuever and park in tight parking lots.
Great Truck for the money.
Best small truck out there.

This is my first Toyota and so far I like this truck. I looked at these for about 3 months before I bought one. I traded in my 07 2500 HD CC SB (lbz) Dmax for this truck. I miss the big truck room, and power but I really did not need the Dmax anymore. All the 1/2 tons really did not interest me at all. I loved my Dmax, so for me to replace it with a Tacoma was a hard choice. I'm very happy with the truck, the more I drive it the more I like it.

Last edited by jmt277; 01/20/11.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
Stick,
how are the 265/75's working out. My 07 is the same truck. Mine came with 265/70's and I replaced them with 245/75's when they wore out partly because I couldn't find any 265/70's I liked. It came down to 245/75 or 265/75 and I was concerned about losing power going to a bigger tire. I could really tell the difference years ago when I replaced the tires on a 85 f-150 I had with larger tires.

Was pushing rotten/soaking snow with the front bumper for miles,but a few hours ago. It goes like a Raped Ape.

Pard just a coupla weeks ago,outfitted his '10 version of same,with identical skins,due to how mine goes.

Mine FLYS down the road and I rally the [bleep] outta it,at every opportunity............(grin)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know what you mean, I'm more satisfied with this truck than any I've ever owned. I will probably move up a tire size when these are worn out.

Last edited by JMR40; 01/21/11. Reason: fixed typo

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have an 04 Tacoma TRD extended cab.

Best truck/4X4 I've owned.

I'm 58 and have owned 4X4's since I was 17.

It has a firm ride but handles like a sportscar. I drive country roads to work daily and this truck is a joy to drive through the curves.

If I live long enough to wear this one out, I'll buy ANOTHER!!!! (GRIN!)

Virgl B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If there was something better,I'd of simply bought it.

There ain't..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend has a 2006 ish HiLux with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine and its been a great vehicle. I was surprised (and impressed) that it stil had manual locking hubs...Its a little heavy on the fuel consumption, but otherwise its ideally suited for a stalkers vehicle here in the UK...

A Defender will be better off road, but the Hilux is a more practical and reliable all rounder..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They'd sell like hotcakes here...............

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm thinking a Tacoma vs. the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Anyone own either of the later? Toyota is pretty much proven in the smaller truck world.

Don't see to many of the Chevy?GMC small trucks. I was thinking of the v8 in one. Bad idea?

Still debating ext. cab vs crew cab and auto vs. 6 spd. I'd like to get another standard again before they become extinct!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ppfd
I'm thinking a Tacoma vs. the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Anyone own either of the later? Toyota is pretty much proven in the smaller truck world.

Don't see to many of the Chevy?GMC small trucks. I was thinking of the v8 in one. Bad idea?

Still debating ext. cab vs crew cab and auto vs. 6 spd. I'd like to get another standard again before they become extinct!

If you care about reliability and resale value you will pick the Toyota.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 10Glocks, AceBall, Amos63, 14 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.