Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I am curious to know if any of you gentlemen have placed in this event at Camp Perry. Let's hear from anyone who has placed. grin whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I know of at least three guys on this board, and lots of guys off of this forum, that have.

Back when I competed, it was something that I always wanted to do, but never got to. frown

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Couple of times. ANd had many more times when the only thing that kept me out was elevation on the 300 rapid fire.. tiny knots but our elevation at home is not the same as it is at Perry. Its a shame that if you'd have shot a much wider group the score would have been much better.....

Always figured once I figured out hte game it wasn't all that hard to place. Placing first is another issue that I never got to though.

Actually wife and I would have made it the first time we ever went except for listenning to a HM that wanted us out of the running.... we had figured the wind, but it was strong... and he told us hell no... not nearly enough... we bought it... miss for me, 5 for the wife... the rest of our shots were centered enough to have done it had the first shot been 9 or better....

Would like to do it pistol wise too.. but probably never happen as I doubt I"ll ever make Perry for pistol. Have only shot 3 pistol leg matches and have 20 points so need to do that at least enough more to get 10 more points to have DD badge.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was at 600 yds. the kid who was scoring for me had not brought the complete scope stand and was sitting on the ground.
He could not see the 9. 10. or X.
He was scoring me as missing and I lost around 50 pts. before I could get him straightened out.
He was only 14 years old. frown
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It happens... unfortunately. I think the rules require at least binocs ....

Of course the first shot he said miss out loud I'd have unloaded and sorted it out, called to the pits, get the first value and go on... I make sure things are sorted out before I start shooting.

Always wanted to shoot a 100-10x at 600 in the P100... never got there... nerves always got me.. IIRC I had a 99-9X once... and I"ve sucked and shot a 100-0x once with a bad barrel....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS when you think about it... its not really hard, the killer is 300 rapid windage and elevation as its 10 shots gone at one time.... thats about the only thing other than a crossfire that ever killed me.

I"ve even shot a 91 offhand and shot a 289 to make the cut...

I always figured.. 95 offhand, and then you have 5-10 more points to spare.. a clean at 300 is easy to shoot group wise... just have to center it... and you could be way off for the first shot at 600 and still net a 7... thats a 97 IMHO at that point...

Regardless 95s across the board will get you close normally.

Too many people throw themselves out of the game mentally.. I know... ask me... I learned the hard way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I was at 600 yds. the kid who was scoring for me had not brought the complete scope stand and was sitting on the ground.
He could not see the 9. 10. or X.
He was scoring me as missing and I lost around 50 pts. before I could get him straightened out.
He was only 14 years old.

I learned my lesson the hard way this year...

Had a seasoned shooter score for me. I figured he'd been around long enough so I didn't ask him to call out my score. When I went to sign my score card I noticed he has me down for a pair of 8's and a couple of 9's. Too late to correct the problem (I didn't plot my shots), a friend of mine had pulled my target for that string. I asked him if I shot any 8's, he said I only had two 9's. frown

From then on everyone scoring my target WILL call out the value loud enough so I can hear... wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Unless its different for these events than regular NRA match slow fire stages... the scorer is obligated by the rules to call out the score for each shot unless the shooter requests otherwise.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm darn near deaf once I push my earplugs in. I'll leave the one on the right side out a little to hear the range commands, once the target's up the plug is in tight. He was calling my shots, I just couldn't hear him. Should have told him to speak up, my fault...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I used to hate hearing them... mental when I made a bad shot... but anymore you have to hear them to make sure...

I typically have a short discussion about how I shoot and so on, and if a junior, I simply ask them that when I start shooting to please pay attention and so on, their mind sometimes wonders... but I also tell them I'll let them know when I start shooting, and once going the target will go down as soon as it comes up so there is no waste of time, and IF I have to stop for some reason I'll tell em to relax until we start again.

I still never plot shots... its a waste to me mostly... I tend to sometimes make dots here and there but generally don't even do that past the first few shots that confirm or deny the zero....

IIRC I"ve read in the bulletins that you have to call out score unless asked not to, but I am NOT Sure thats the case in CMP matches. Been too long since I shot.

Generally speaking if you take the time to discuss things with the scorekeeper, it will wake em up and keep em on their toes... As a scorekeeper I also tend to note the 10th shot and the last shot going into the chamber to make sure I"m on the same page.
I know how easy it can be to get distracted if you have a pokey shooter.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rost495
Do you have to have any special requirements (previous XTC classification, etc.)to shoot in the Presidents 100 or is it a show up, sign up and shoot match? The reason I ask is there are 3 or 4 fairly serious shooters (I dabble in it) in my unit and the CSM is wanting to put together a team to try and shoot some of the Perry Matches. I know down at AMU the President 100 tab is fairly common place, but it is not very common elswhere in the Army.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no requirements required other than there is some minimum age... 14 IIRC, and I think they require a NRA class card in some of the matches, but I don't think its required in CMP ones....

You can do a search at www.odcmp.com.

I would not show up and shoot... you are VERY much better off to pre-register and prepay.... other than that standby squadding can be interesting at times... not that it won't work but much better to be confirmed. I doubt there is anyone at AMU Ft Benning without the tab.... like I said its not really all that hard once you figure it out.

CMP link should give you all the info if you search. NRA puts out data too. If you apply early to a given address they'll send an info/application packet out ahead of time.. or at least they used to, I haven't been since 2003.

If you can't find enough info PM me and I'll dig it all up and get you the info needed. I highly suggest going. Wife and I had a blast each year. It was time to do something different but if you have the chance I suggest it highly. Spent some really great weeks there and wouldn't trade it for anything. Wished I was still going in one way, but in another I"m glad we quit... lots of other things in life we needed to get back to.

Jeff

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the info I'll let the guy's at work know. A lot depends on if we can get the unit to fund building the rifles we need to compete. A couple of the more serious competitors have their own, but not everyone.
I know what you mean about other things in life taking priority after 18 years in the military trying to balance the family needs after missing so much due to deployments and training.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Unless its different for these events than regular NRA match slow fire stages... the scorer is obligated by the rules to call out the score for each shot unless the shooter requests otherwise.

Not true Monte. Calling out the scores is something that is/can be done by request or mutual agreement between shooter and scorekeeper, but it's never been a requirement in the NRA Rulebook nor the DCM/CMP Rulebook.

I wouldn't advise just showing up. These matches fill up by pre-registration in advance, and it could end up being a long trip to just watch a match.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/14/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chris

Didn't the rules of at least NRA say to call them out unless otherwise agreed? I'd swear I read it somewhere.....maybe it was just a suggestion or either than in some match bulletins but not in NRA rules so to speak. I"m sure I've read that "requirement" somewhere.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ChrisF

Not true Monte. Calling out the scores is something that is/can be done by request or mutual agreement between shooter and scorekeeper, but it's never been a requirement in the NRA Rulebook nor the DCM/CMP Rulebook.

Current NRA Rulebook, available online here if you want to look at it yourself. 14.3.1(c), Scorer's Duties under 'Scoring and Marking':

(c) When targets are scored in the pits, enter the value of each shot on the score card as signaled,
announcing the value to the competitor in this manner: "Mr. Blank's first sighting shot (first shot etc.) is a."
After entering all shots of the string, enter the total. If the competitor requests that the shot value not be
called out in slow fire, the shooter forfeits the right to challenge the recorded score. (See Rule 16. 1)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I found the online entry forms for this years match so we just have to wait for them to post the 2011 forms and we are good to go. Thanks Jeff.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Monte,
You are correct. I learn something new every day! I even pulled a rule book from the 90's, and guess what...it was there back then as well! I saw that section in the current pdf and took it to mean scoring done on the card in the pits (which I don't think is an acceptible manner of scoring).
Chris.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Monte,
I saw that section in the current pdf and took it to mean scoring done on the card in the pits (which I don't think is an acceptible manner of scoring).

In that case you'd have to yell really loud for 'em to hear their scores wink

I agree scoring in the pits isn't ideal, but for small local club matches where two relays is all you really have enough bodies for, it is a legal method - as opposed to the shooter scoring their own card on the line.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That thought did occur to me...although I do know a couple of folk that could make it work...even from 600 yards!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.