Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JWALL,

In the past 25 years, I'd say powders have improved more than bullets. I know a lot of people think many of today's bullets are vast improvements, but I've used most of today's premoium bullets and still don't see any magic improvement over the Nosler Partition in how well they kill big game.

Actually, the big improvement I've seen is in varmint bullets. They're more accurate, fly flatter and open more violently than the standard soft-point and hollow-point bullets we used to use.

The bigbest improvement in powders is in temperature-resistance, though some powders also provide a little more zip as well. Many of today's powders burn a lot cleaner as well, and even include anti-coppering agents.

Scopes are much better overall. Twenty-five years ago the scopes with the best optics and adjustments often weren't truly waterproof, or very rugged. The toughest scopes often didn't have the best optics or great adjustments. Today we have many great combinations of optics, adjustments and toughness.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
With today's powder and bullets the 7x57 Mauser is still one of the top choices. IMO the 7mm-08 is almost the same wine in a different bottle. It must to tough to be a gunwriter and talk the new stuff up when it is just the same old gal with a new dress. grin
whelennut (9x57) wink

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D: THANKS, I feel we are the beneficiaries of many things too.
I believe that many firearms are improved as well. Not every improvement is better tho, some SAFETIES for example.

Now we have a new thread going about N Ps and I agree that they are hard to beat. I prefer their action to the smaller frontal opening area of some others.

THANKS to your thread about getting the most out of the 06, I have a renewed interest in loading and hunting the 06. It's been a long time since I did any new loading or hunting w/ the 06 and I'm actually looking forward to next year.

We ordinary joes can learn a lot from you gun writers since you have much more access in the industry than we. Sometimes we don't learn from abstracts, we must attend the school of hard knocks. go figure! !

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

JWALL

An Old Handloader with all his finger and both eyes,

Just Deaf in Left Ear.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (BABore, 257 mag, 35, badwolf, BDR1, 6 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.