John

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by rattler
prolly cause its alot of meat, a bull giraffe will out weight a cape buffalo.....

Exactly

A pride of lions (and the other predators that are attracted to the bait) can put away a lot of meat....

Much more economical and less time consuming to string up quarters and large chunks from large animals (Giraffe, Buff, Hippo, Zebra) than numerous Impala and other small antelopes.

Exactly right.We got five lion baits out of one giraffe. Thats a lot cheaper than shooting two cow buffalo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the explanations. Learn something every day.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a book called perfect shots or something like that which has pictures of game animals that show the locations of the vital organs. One for Africa and one for north america.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Perfect Shot by Kevin Robertson. The pictures are anatomical drawings superposed over actual photos. More interesting to me however, was the anatomical and physiological discussions. The author is a vetrinarian and PH. He is a very pleasant man to spend the evening with over the campfire, and like most of us, quite opinionated.

Buy any of his books, they are worth the read.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
well lets put it this way then....easy to kill? Lions don't hunt them unless they're sick or injured as a general rule! They are very tough and thick skinned. Back in 1977, one kicked the radiator clean outta my land rover having first kicked it into the fan which stopped the engine! I had thought to give it a ankle nudge to get it off the runway! Like a milk cow? not! In places where they're hunted regularly, they become very wary and with their height can be difficult to approach. The heart lung area is much higher in the chest than imagined...check out the African Hunting shot placement book. I found the best place to drop them was on the neck vertebrae with a .375>. That anchored it....they can run forever it seems when wounded! getting a second shot into a poorly wounded giraffe is tough! Nice trophy tho! One client did it as a half mount..like walking thru the wall! very cool!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.