Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
NO prob, I reread your post.I understand not wanting to spend the $ when you're stuck with Musket caps.That kinda stinks BTW.I love trad ML's and inlines, but I've never understood some of the laws out there.You can use an inline, but not a modern primer.If a state wanted to keep it primitive, mandate open sights, sidelock ignition etc.Anyhow, enough of my rant LOL.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ruger # 1, Of course you have the other extreme of the savage
using smokeless powder and still calling it muzzle loader!!
Where is the cut-off? Just my 2cents. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by northcountry

Well, can you load the Savage from the breech or without using a rod?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The jug says only 209 primers are recommended. I dont know if a musket cap would ignite it or not. I only use it in my inline, run regular Goex in my caplocks.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by northcountry

I can see your point, but for me its kinda like the crossbow thing.I personally hunt with a recurve and would have zero use for a crossbow.But they are legal in my state and many others, so I say go for it if that floats your boat.

Our ML season opens Saturday and I'll be carrying a .40 flinter I built this year.But I used a Knight to kill a pretty decent buck earlier this yeaR.

A state allowing modern inlines, but limiting the primer system is a bit dumb is all I was really getting at I guess.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
Hunter01...........

I have to tell u...DONT go away from the Barnes. Its a proven killer for u (and me too). I JUST switched from 3 pellets of 777 this yr and am now a believer and in BH209. Shoots much cleaners...and WAY more consistent. I shoot a TC .50 Prohunter. My brother shoots a TC Truimph. His gun is a lil more finicky iwht it, but mine loves it. AND, i shoot 120gr of it and dont notice much kick which i credit the flex stock and design of the PH. I shoot the 245g Barnes spitfire @ about 2050 fps. A lil slower then 150gr of 777 pushes them, but consistently more accureate.
Hope u get a load to work for you!

Good shooting!!

Id see NO reason to go away from barnes unless its absolute max BC you were after for distance.... my one gun just wouldn't shoot barnes well enough at 300 yards and beyond to use them there.... but other than that, barnes has always had a great track record.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I finally took my Knight rifle to the range today to start experimenting with my new loads. I shot the Blackhorn 209 with TMZ Barnes 290 gr. with CCI 209 magnum primers. As you advised, I got the Lehigh breech plug. Love it. It is easy to use and when I went to clean it and the bolt, I was amazed at how clean it was. I shot 3 shot groups at 50 yards with 100 gr., 110 gr., and 120 gr. Further work is needed but first results are good. The 110 gr. and 120 gr. shot better than the 100 gr. I was having trouble get good readings with my chronograph, but I did get around 1900 fps with the 110 gr. Didn't get readings with the 120 gr. I love the clean burning of the Blackhorn 209. I shot nine shots, and the 9th bullet went down the barrel just as smooth and slick as the 1st bullet went down the clean barrel. Nice. I was surprised, however, that when I put the first cleaning patch through the barrel after I got home, that it came out really black, but after the third patch, it quickly cleaned up to a clear patch.
So, overall, first impression of the powder/bullet combination, is very promising. I'm not sure if the 1900 fps from the 110 gr. is a little slower than I thought it should be. I'll have to check the charts. And it was 84 degrees out. I did also notice that the barrel got hot with the firings. Never seen, or noticed that heat when shooting other powders, etc. No biggie.
I'll continue to shoot these loads and report back. I want to see how they group at 100 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to think PYRO-DEX and Spitfires pulled a good group til I did some searchin on the web..turns out folks were really likin the 209 with 260grain Harvester PT Golds..till they tried 209 and the 300 grain PT Golds...
Called the company, they sent me a "sample pak" of each...this pic is 4 of the 300grainers, 100grains of 209 @ 100yards. Anytime, anyday, all day long. O, and I didnt clean my Encore til about a week later..no rust or corrosion..
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, that is great shootin. Mine isn't shooting like that, but I'm still working on it. Nice grouping......

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.