-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did some of my very best wing shooting with a Remington 870 pump in 28 ga. I would have no problem with a Franchi so chambered. Thou I would really like to have a Parker Repo so chambered with two sets of barrels beaver fore end and a English grip. But I can afford one now even If I could find one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my mod. 1100 28 ga. I wouldn't sell it or trade anything for it. I would really like to have a nice little 28 ga. sxs though. CZ makes a nice one that doesn't break the bank to own. I've even killed a couple mallards with mine and you can get a 1 oz. 28 ga. load now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is complete crap as theories go. An auto-loader still only throws them out one at a time, but my sxs has ejectors that throw em out two at a time. Eeefen Ole n Sven kin figur diss out. Oofdah.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
This is complete crap as theories go. An auto-loader still only throws them out one at a time, but my sxs has ejectors that throw em out two at a time. Eeefen Ole n Sven kin figur diss out. Oofdah.

And even old Sven, old as he is, can probably put his hand over the breech when opening a SxS or an O/U, and catch BOTH of those empties, without letting them hit the ground.

Not even in his younger, quicker days though could Sven reach around in front of the ejection port on that autoloader and catch the empties flying out. whistle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hard-core 28-gauge shooters don't buy doubles with ejectors.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Most of the hard core 28 gauge shooters I know don't leave the skeet field.

Dink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Derr iss at leeest vun! ;-{>

By the way, you been a good enough boy to get that Ugartechea from the jolly ol elf?

Last edited by oldtrapper; 12/17/10. Reason: add Q?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Still working on it....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot trap and skeet when I was a teen, and spent every Saturday and Sunday for years as the "grounds keeper" or trap boy for a rod and gun club. I will tell you that many of the best skeet shooters used Remington 1100 28 gauge shotguns. For the reduction of weight and recoil, the 28 breaks clays more like a twelve gauge than a twenty. It has a longer shot column than a 20 and has an advantage when swinging on birds.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For ruffed grouse, I still shoot my Franchi 28ga auto-loader the best. That said, if there is ever a 391 Beretta in 28ga........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rob p
I shot trap and skeet when I was a teen, and spent every Saturday and Sunday for years as the "grounds keeper" or trap boy for a rod and gun club. I will tell you that many of the best skeet shooters used Remington 1100 28 gauge shotguns. For the reduction of weight and recoil, the 28 breaks clays more like a twelve gauge than a twenty. It has a longer shot column than a 20 and has an advantage when swinging on birds.

Picking nits here-especially since the use of wads have become common-but a shorter shot column is an advantage in a shotgun due to the fact that less pellets are subjected to being in contact with the barrel and therefore less pellets are being deformed. Deformed pellets tend to fly away from the main string. The result is a decrease in pattern uniformity.

3/4oz in a 28, 7/8oz in a 20, 1oz in a 16, 1 or 1 1/8oz in a 12. The 12 always wins in the long haul when it comes to pattern efficiency.

If not so, the 12 would not be the gauge of choice for trap.

Last edited by battue; 12/18/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my break open 28's, the lesser recoil, and the fact that I don't have to bend over and pick up the hulls. There is no doubt everything else, except the 410, throws more lead.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A properly weighted and balanced 28 is a Ruffed Grouse, Quail and Dove hunters nirvana.

Most however screw it up by going to light along with barrels to short.

Addition: Get your hands on a Perazzi MX28 with 30in barrels to go directly to nirvana. Next go to your bank to arrange a loan.

Correction: The Perazzi MX28 will most likely be 29.5in barrels.

Last edited by battue; 12/18/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The longer shot column deal was always explained to me as to be an advantage. You swing the gun through the birds and spread the shot column out. Longer column, longer spread, which is what you want for skeet and pass shooting birds. Right or wrong, I heard it over and over again.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And like a lot of things you hear, it's BS.

One of the advantages of the 28-gauge is that with the 3/4 oz. load most of the shot arrives at pretty much the same time, putting more shot into the bird, whether clay or feathered.

A very long shot column (like that in the .410) tends to result in a very long shot swarm. On crossing shots, this puts less shot into the target.

All of this is why skeet scores with the 28 are so close to those shot with larger gauges.

If you want confirmation of this, buy a copy of Bob Brister's SHOTGUNNING, THE ART AND SCIENCE. It was published several decades ago but is still in print--and is still the best reference on what actually happens in shotgunning.

John Steinbeck
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But JB, in skeet all you have to do is detect a "hit" on the bird, whereas in the field you have to put it down.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And I ain't arguing with you, I'm just saying there is a difference between skeet and bird shooting.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Skeet shooters are keeping the 28 gauge "Cult" alive. At my skeet / sporting clay club there are 5 mans skeet squads you have to shoot a 28 gauge just to join the group. Most shoot the 12 gauge Beretta with tubes and an occasional Rem 870.

Doc

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DINK
I have a Franchi 28 gauge that is about the only shotgun I hunt with anymore. I bet a lose less than 50 hulls a year while hunting.

Dink

One very nice shotgun and one I have never had the pleasure of owning but hopefully will rectify that error soon.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It works the same. The 28 puts more shot into a crossing game bird than it "should," because the shot arrive pretty much the same time.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.