Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
About ten-twelve years ago when I lived in Cody, Wy, and Burns was working for John Linebaugh (CUSTOMSIXGUNS.COM). Burns had done some kind of re-work job on the front lug of his stainless boat paddle stocked Ruger in .338 Win. and asked if I would care to meet him at the local shooting range to see how it shot. Pretty windy and cold that day so we move in to the clubhouse where we were able to open a wooden window that was set up to be used for shooting from inside.

Burns first shot a three shot group and then asked me if I would like to try it. He was watching through his spotting scope and said that my first shot was about where it should be so I cranked in another round. After my second shot, Burns started laughing and told me that I had missed the whole damn target! I knew better than that but just loaded it up again and let go the third shot. He started to laugh but sorta backed off and suggested that we go to the target and have a look.

Surprise! All three shots were in the same hole and probably would have measured well under a quarter inch. Burns remark was that "that's the first time anybody ever outshot me with my own damn gun" and didn't offer to let me shoot again. In fact, I'm sure that he didn't shoot again that day. Kinda whacked him below the belt, I think. But whatever he did to his Ruger sure made a good shooter out of it.

I never told many people about this but on the way out of the range, I met up with a good friend so I had to tell him but asked him not to get carried away with telling everybody. That was the only time I ever got to see Burns shooting a rifle but he did blow up a H-K .45 cal at that same range. Spectacular!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not surprised by his actions

Nice shooting

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shooting, good post.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
awesome!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Might have just been my lucky day but I meant to outshoot him.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually remember something very close to what you describe.

The difference is that my blowing up the HK 45 was really not that spectacular as it only blew the grip and then the mag out the bottom.

Last shot of the stage so I didn�t get a DNF. laugh My hand was stinging something fierce though.

That ol 338 would shoot. The barrel died at the 2100 rnd mark. Why would you bring that schit up, I had these boys thinking I was really something.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it goes in 3 stages - the gun - the optics and the man - after that it doesnt really matter !

only you thought you were really something ! lol Az

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I actually remember something very close to what you describe.

The difference is that my blowing up the HK 45 was really not that spectacular as it only blew the grip and then the mag out the bottom.

Last shot of the stage so I didn�t get a DNF. laugh My hand was stinging something fierce though.

That ol 338 would shoot. The barrel died at the 2100 rnd mark. Why would you bring that schit up, I had these boys thinking I was really something.

If I had known you were gonna be famous some day I would have pulled that last shot. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blowing up that USP was one of those hurts that really lasts. I actually cannot sit in front of my Dillon without remembering �Hey Dummy, don�t put 2 charges in one case cause that schit hurts�

The mental scar from you shooting that group has lasted even longer and is the reason for my bad behavior. Do you see what you caused??? laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Play the victim card!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Was the USP fixable? Are there any pics?.... grin

Dink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Same thing happened to my wife while shooting our Browning HP 40. It was some gun show reloads that were given to me so I'm not responsible for that.

It was then she picked up my brand new 1911 Sig, fired three clips through it and I had to buy her one when we got home. I've suffered worse things in life. grin

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I had these boys thinking I was really something.

Nah, I thought Lee24 was something though.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Always knew there were something I liked about you, Ivan. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Gee, thanks, Amigo! grin

Are ya all rested up from your journey? And out scouting for your next moose?

Some day, maybe, that is, I'm gonna show up on yo' doorstep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now it's you who will be famous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
Was the USP fixable? Are there any pics?.... grin

Dink

The poly grip part of the frame was split but none of it actually penetrated my hand. In all honesty I was pretty embarrassed and not really in a picture taking frame of mind.

I sent the gun back to HK and they put a new frame on it and made it a new gun. I sold it and went to 1911s.

Hardly the guns fault but I figure a change was in order.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Gee, thanks, Amigo! grin

Are ya all rested up from your journey? And out scouting for your next moose?

Some day, maybe, that is, I'm gonna show up on yo' doorstep.

Moose ended unsuccessfully on December 15th, and Mary still has the bull tag. A busy October, and being gone all November put the finish on the deal. Next year we will go to Ireland BEFORE moose season starts and be home for the opener -- and I should have the tag next year, Lord willing.

If ya come, bring a guitar and a KJB. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yassuh. Never leave home without 'em.

Too bad that ya'll still got an empty tag. That means less moose stew, huh.

Winter time there yet?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
Now it's you who will be famous.

Yeah! grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.