Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently won the Minox BF 8x25 BR bino in Cameralands regular giveaway drawing.

I've always thought of these types of mini size binos were merely toys that couldn't possibly take the place of a set of full sized 8x42's.
From the minute I opened the box I began to be impressed by these binos. They are solid, with very nice twist up eyecups, a smooth but tight hinge, and an accurate focus wheel. They are small but they feel substantial in the hands.
The optics of this little Minox compares favorably to my Burris Fullfield II 8x42's and my Zen-Ray Vista 8x42's. While these are surely not close to top shelf binos they are still pretty good and they are full size. The clarity is every bit that of either of the big binos.
The part that I have really come to like about the Minox became apparent when I took these into the woods with me while archery hunting. I usually take the FFII's when hunting because they are significantly smaller than the Vistas. These Minox are in another league entirely as far as portability and handiness go. They fit easily into the pocket of my jacket rather than riding on my chest with a harness like the FFII's.
The Minox are also very nice to use with one hand which allows me to keep my bow in my other hand.

I've learned that using these small Minox binos increases the ease with which I glass while hunting and they give up VERY little optically compared to my full size models.

These Minox BF 8x25 BR's have earned a place in my hunting gear bag.

Here is the link to the binos on the Cameraland website.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62033

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got some Minox HG 8x33 BR ASPH binoculars from Camera land last year and hunted with them.

They were great, and did not get lost, because they were tied around my neck.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought two pair of the 8x25's on Monday from Cameraland as stocking stuffers for my brother and my son. They are certainly not in the same league as my 8x42 Nikon Monarchs but I didn't expect they would be. When I ordered them over the phone, Neil was very upfront about how they would perform.He said that I would have to spend a lot more on another mini binocular to see much improvement in performance. Examining these Minoxes I believe him. After looking through them, I was pleased with the clarity all the way to the edges of the field of view. No pin cushioning and good light gathering given the small objective lenses. For their size, they felt surprisingly substantial and are way better than other small binos I have looked through and used -- or tried to use -- in the past.

The whole transaction with Cameraland was a pleasure by the way. I ordered them on Monday and had them on Tuesday morning.And I didn't get charged for shipping either. Nice.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I recently won the Minox BF 8x25 BR bino in Cameralands regular giveaway drawing.

I've always thought of these types of mini size binos were merely toys that couldn't possibly take the place of a set of full sized 8x42's.
From the minute I opened the box I began to be impressed by these binos. They are solid, with very nice twist up eyecups, a smooth but tight hinge, and an accurate focus wheel. They are small but they feel substantial in the hands.
The optics of this little Minox compares favorably to my Burris Fullfield II 8x42's and my Zen-Ray Vista 8x42's. While these are surely not close to top shelf binos they are still pretty good and they are full size. The clarity is every bit that of either of the big binos.
The part that I have really come to like about the Minox became apparent when I took these into the woods with me while archery hunting. I usually take the FFII's when hunting because they are significantly smaller than the Vistas. These Minox are in another league entirely as far as portability and handiness go. They fit easily into the pocket of my jacket rather than riding on my chest with a harness like the FFII's.
The Minox are also very nice to use with one hand which allows me to keep my bow in my other hand.

I've learned that using these small Minox binos increases the ease with which I glass while hunting and they give up VERY little optically compared to my full size models.

These Minox BF 8x25 BR's have earned a place in my hunting gear bag.

Here is the link to the binos on the Cameraland website.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62033

I bought a pair of these in October and used them for archery, rifle and muzzy hunting this year. Agree with everything you said above -they are the best compact binoc I've owned. The only thing I'd like is a bit more tension on the adjustment wheel as they seem to go out of focus slightly every time I put them inside my coat and take them back out.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was surprising to me how good these inexpensive compact binoculars performed and felt.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the lead on the GB auction, and I'll be taking a close look at those Minox binoes. They sound real good and specs indicate they weigh only 10 ounces or so.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy your day and loved ones tomorrow. grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why don't they make these in a 6x? That'd really be nice....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.