Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would like to hear from some guy's who have experience with this caliber, is it enough for clean kills on big Tom's or should I go .223 Rem maybe?...............Thanks Hillbilly.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Speed ain't your friend, unless you plan on shooting them at 600 yards.

Hornet should be just skookum.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have heard that a 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a Hornet case will cleanly dispatch Turkeys, to include "Big Toms".

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The shots I'm going to taks are in big woods and seldom over 75yds or so, I know a few guy's that regularly take turkeys with .22 Magnum's but For me this is a little light, I'm looking for a cartridge with enough azz but not too much..........Hillbilly.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll be fine

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, yes. There may be equally good rifle cartridges for turkeys, but none better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The shots I'm going to taks are in big woods and seldom over 75yds or so, I know a few guy's that regularly take turkeys with .22 Magnum's but For me this is a little light, I'm looking for a cartridge with enough azz but not too much..........Hillbilly.
At woods ranges you can't beat a .32-20 or .357 carbine with FN cast bullets running 1300-1400 fps. A .30-30 carbine with cast or jacketed bullets moving at similar speeds is just as good. The .22 mag. with 40 gr. Win. HP's has also worked very well for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't think I have ever been more impressed with a cartridge, than I have been the .22 Hornet. It is absolutely a superstar. For putting groceries in the freezer, it just works.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I opened a similar topic about the 204 ruger and quite a few people chimed in about the .22 hornet. I'm seriously thinking I need a barrel for my thompson center! Roll Tide . . .

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
where leagle the hornet is hard to beat for turkey with correct bullet choice and placement is good with out too much damage from damn near 0 to 300yds easy enough .204 can blow the #$%^%^ out of if too close like much under a 100 yards or so

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The 22 Hornet is a great turkey round. I also love to use my old model 92 win chambered for 25-20.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Both rounds in the right rifle are accurate enough for head shots in usual hunting scenarios and will not tear up meat if you need to hit them in the vitals.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm not good enough to try a head shot on an old Tom but I think with the guy's real world advice I've read here that I have found My cartridge......Now all I need is to decide on the right lightweight rifle and I'll be set, Damn this is fun!!...........Thanks Hillbilly.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Browning low wall.
Ruger bolt action.
Sako bolt (good luck finding one)

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had more Sako's than I can remember but don't like their scope mounting system so I don't buy em anymore, the Browning low wall is out cause I want a bolt action rifle, now the Ruger 77/22 hornet is another whole kettle of fish, that rifle would be a real contender, it seems that there is a very limited market when searching for a bolt action .22 Hornet, what little I've looked around I also like the CZ 527 but I don't like the mag hanging down like it does, the new M1 American model would be perfect but it's only available in .223 Rem...............Thanks Hillbilly.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Posted it on here earlier, taken a few weeks ago. Anschutz Hornet, 45gr Ballistic Tips, hit them right where the neck meets the body. If you do a body hit you will have a lot more power than needed to get the job done on a 25lb bird. There's enough there for deer and coyote with the right bullet too.

[Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look no more!!!!!!! 22 hornet is made for turkeys! i have horded a bunch of nosler 22 hornet 45 gr, bt. first bird was 125 yards. drt. after a bunch of ribbing about not giving the birds a chance my #2 bird i took at 10 yards with same load. stalking to get that close was cool. for the record my gun is a pre war mod. 70 original long barrel. it shoots the noslers very fast but gets the job done! D O M I T !

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great picture!!..................Hillbilly.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have used several different Hornets on critters ranging from sparrows to coyote and many many turkeys. The hornet will work fine. The major drawback is that some of them are very hard to get to shoot accuractly.If I ever buy another hornet it will be anshults there expensive but well worth the money.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Anschutz is a thought, I will check out their line up and see what they offer, I am afraid the Anschutz rifles might be a little on the heavy side for what I want though.............Hillbilly.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used a .218 Bee, out of a 10" Contender, to take toms, out to 80 yards or so- works very well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not the Hornet, but I've used the 218 Bee with Remington 46 grain factory loads and the 256 Win Mag with 86 grain 25-20 bullet to kill turkeys. I'd agree that the POA is the intersection of the neck and body for quick kills and minimal meat damage. I like the 22 MRF too and think that the 33 grain VMax bullets would be just the thing for turkeys with an accurate rifle. My Marlin 982s and Savage 93s in 22 MRF would be fine turkey getters, if gettin' turkeys could be legally hunted with rifles in NE.

Jeff

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've shot lots of Toms with an ol' Winchester Model 43 in Hornet...

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My Hornet is a Browning Micro Medallion. If you can find one of them, grab it!

I have shot multiple 200yd groups under 1 1/2" with factory ammo.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Micro Medallion sounds like a nice rig and probably light too................Hillbilly.

L
lhg Offline
L
I really like to kill them at inside 40 yards with 2oz. of 3" # 6 shot from my Rem. 870 21" barrel extra full choke..Calling them in in the Spring is what I prefer...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
K

F
F
As far as varmits go I would use the .22 hornet over the .22 mag. However, the property I lease restricts us to only a rimfire in the off season and so we use the .22 mag, not by choice but by rules. I can tell you that the .22 mag can do some damage out to 75 or 100 yards if the shot placement is right, but I prefer the .22 hornet.....

If you want a plinker go with the .22 mag or even a .22 lr, if you want a small varmit/ranch rifle, I would go with the hornet.....

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Got plenty of .22 long rifles, I'm looking for a rifle to chase turkeys in the Fall...From what I read here I've found the caliber I just need to find the right lightweight bolt action, not much to choose from though so far...........Hillbilly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
VaHillbilly, PM sent.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive cleanly dispatched turkeys with a 10-22 ruger at 100 yards or just short of by placing the bullet right between the shoulder blades so to speek and they take off on a run and they get shorter as they go and eventually disapear and as I uesed to tell guys years ago its amazing how easy it is to train a turkey to jump into a frying pan with a ruger 10-22...

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had more Sako's than I can remember but don't like their scope mounting system so I don't buy em anymore, the Browning low wall is out cause I want a bolt action rifle, now the Ruger 77/22 hornet is another whole kettle of fish, that rifle would be a real contender, it seems that there is a very limited market when searching for a bolt action .22 Hornet, what little I've looked around I also like the CZ 527 but I don't like the mag hanging down like it does, the new M1 American model would be perfect but it's only available in .223 Rem...............Thanks Hillbilly.

I'll agree with the others that the Hornet may be close to perfect........As far as rifles, think Ruger 77/22 All-Weather or Browning A-Bolt Micro hunter......though Brownings are shunned around here the A-Bolt Micro Hunter has better mag confines for pointed bullets, shoots better than the Ruger, and converts easily to K-Hornet which would be my vote along with the 40gr B-tip for "Gobble Perfect"..............

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 01/01/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although the .22 slug seems optimal to control meat damage and enhance flatness up to a point, the .22 cartridge choice seems a matter of shot distance. If distance enabled me to make it with a .22 rimfire to the head, I would. Otherwise, and if we can make good shot placement a given, the .22 Hornet (or K Hornet) looks good after that distance and the farther out it goes the more it becomes a matter of MV/SD/BC, although we know the .22s limits due to bullet factors and potential wind. I would love to try a Tom with one of my Hornets, but our regs on firearms allow only shotgun for turkey.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Might want to check on GB for a 219 savage in hornet, the one I have shoots great and has accounted for a pile of turkeys before I came to own it Russ

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I will look at the 219 on gunbroker.........Thank Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The savage 219 is a single shot break down rifle, I am interested in a bolt action, but thanks anyway...Does anybody know if the Remington mod 799 is any good? I found a few of those....Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Find a Ruger 77/22Hornet.

The 799 is poorly finished, heavy, pseudo-Mauser.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Sean, I know your advice is gold...............Hillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Responding to yout "bolt action" wish. Early on I had a .22 Hornet in a Savage Model 23D, bolt and clip/mag fed rifle, not fancy or expensive at the time but shot very well. Later found an old used pre model 70 Winchester (Mod 54 I believe) that also was factory .22 Hornet, and it is quite good. Might find one of these "older and outdated" models at a better price than the new ones. I would grab either for good shooting. The Ruger 77/22 (much more costly) in Hornet is good and looks great, and the bolt/rotary mag system works well. But, the factory trigger does not seem as good as the previously mentioned old timers. Have seen other very nice one-off conversions to .22 Hornet out there in shops and at shows and they are less expensive than the new rifles, some of which are really quite sharp looking - but have not tried them.

The best two .22 Hornets I have known were single shots - one a Contender and the other a great barrel on an old Martini action.

Hope this helps.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Thanks Sean, I know your advice is gold...............Hillbilly.

You are scaring me... quit it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Find a Ruger 77/22Hornet.

The 799 is poorly finished, heavy, pseudo-Mauser.

Isn't it the same action as your 7.62x39, (and my Daly) IIRC.

Unless Remington had them cheap things up a little more when they imported them.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yes it is, and no, it ain't.

The base action is the same, but the finish and quality of it are WAY lower.

Remington had them cheapen things up a LOT, and the stock flat out sucks; heavy as hell, and ergos all jacked up.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, as long as they didn't put a M700 trigger in it, how bad can it be? laugh

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Finished to a 60-grit luster... for starters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish this state would allow taking turkeys with a centerfire gun. Strictly shotgun, muzzleloading shotgun or archery only.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I live on the border of our respective states and did not know this, what a shame....................Hillbilly.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
i have a 77/22 hornet and a 799 as well as a cz in hornet there is things about all like better than the others; like the mag. on the ruger the best as well as the saftey design, the cz hate that trigger but does shoot very good with various bullets weights the 799 i like the trigger the best (after it was reset and polished)the gun weight it is a little heavey with laminate stock fit and finish on mine is not that bad at all and it does shoot the best groups of all three with 35 v-max's has shoot groups in the 3's with these little bullets and poor little ruger as much as i want to like it have not got it to shoot much under .75 @100 meters with anything yet and have had it for about 6 years

Last edited by ldholton; 01/09/11.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would be tickled to death with a Ruger that shoots like that...........Congrats...........Hillbilly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned both the Browning Micro, and the Ruger 77/22 and I have to say that in my case both were excellent rifles, but the Browning was alittle more accurate. I know you don't like the CZ's mag, but my friends is probably even more accurate than my Browning.

For what its worth,
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
If CZ would build a 527 M1 in .22 Hornet it would be by far My first choice, I had a 527 M1 in .223 and it was a most excellent little rifle and very accurate, but the regular 527's are the definition of ugly to me with that unsightly magazine hanging down past the trigger guard..............Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Giving the Ruger a little "Special K" love cures a lot of ills.

Same can be said of a lot of "sick" Hornets.

W
wch Offline
W
One vote for the 25-20 with 65 grain soft point handloads: works well in Central PA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By Special K do you mean enlarging chamber to a "K" Hornet?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep.

Technically, a rechamber, as it's more than just enlarging.

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a kimber in 22 K hornet. After killing many turkeys with the K hornet and many others I think the K hornet is the best cartridge for turkeys, but hey thats just me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Yep.
Technically, a rechamber, as it's more than just enlarging.

Well, technically, its a matter of semantics, I suppose. When taking the old Savage 23D from Hornet to K Hornet, did so with a reamer that opened (enlarged?) the sides of the existing chamber outward and forward to the new "K shoulder. No change in size of the Hornet case at either end - fire forming just blew the middle out to the new shape. Is that a re-chamber?

Now, when taking a 30:06 to a .308 Norma Magnum, that did seem to be a re-chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it too !!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 218-B in a Ruger #1 B, bet that would work where legal.

Last edited by 333okh; 01/27/11.

NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You'll be more than fine. My son has harvested several Tom's cleanly with his 22 mag (before he was comfortable shooting a 20 ga). However, they were all within 50 yards.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like the caliber but finding a light weight bolt action that I like is proving to be a tough job, this isn't a very popular caliber by any means, I like the Ruger 77/22 sporter but I'm afraid it wouldn't shoot to suit me.................Hillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I wish this state would allow taking turkeys with a centerfire gun. Strictly shotgun, muzzleloading shotgun or archery only.

I hunted for years with a .219Don Wasp till the turds in charge in Jackson outlawed it. Also used a .38special S&W with semiwad cutters, worked great on close called in toms.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the caliber but finding a light weight bolt action that I like is proving to be a tough job, this isn't a very popular caliber by any means, I like the Ruger 77/22 sporter but I'm afraid it wouldn't shoot to suit me.................Hillbilly.

Have you looked at the CZ 527 .22 hornet. Weighs 6.5lbs

Here's a review link: www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category8/156.html

Last edited by MCT3; 02/06/11.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know you are looking for a bolt gun but a little Contender carbine in 22hornet would be a class act for turkeys. Light short and handy.

Other wise I say CZ.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have looked at the CZ but I can't get past the magazine hanging so far down, if CZ chambered the Mod 527 M1 in .22 Hornet I'd buy one in a second...............Hillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't care for the new versions, you probably can find an old Savage 23D (clip fed bolt action and mine was an excellent shooter) or a Winchester Model 54 (bolt action magazine feed before model 70), both of which were factory produced in .22 Hornet. The old Win 54 is a very nice rifle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use 22mag in a Savage 93. works fine. 22mag is the smallest caliber you can use on turkeys in Wyoming.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
smile For a time Browning chambered the Abolt for the Hornet..I bought one in 1995 and still have it..I have used it on about 5 turkeys..If you can't find a hornet to suit my next favorite is the .222 or .223...Usually load those with a heavy bullet..

Wyogal, did you apply for spring gobblers or are you going for a general permit?...Since I have time, I put in for the extra gobbler permit and will buy a general for the same area..being retired is wonderful..Also how do you like you .22 mag. for turkey???I picked up a CZ at a yard sale this summer it has been riding in the pickup most of the time since..but took my all gobbler with my old .222....

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
hi, I'm going for a general permit. I usually hunt around Buffalo, or Shell. The Savage is pretty accurate. A 222 would be great I'll bet. I've got 3 more years to retire at 63. I'm envious.

Last edited by Wyogal; 02/08/11.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wygal, that is pretty country up there, but lots of private land..my last student teacher was from the Buffalo area..he is in Alaska teaching now..also one of my former students manages a ranch up in that country..he said he had lots of whitetails, but turkey was kind of iffy...Usually, I hit Sundance for about a week or ten days..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sundance is a great area, that I've also hunted. Its just too dang far for me to travel. There's National Forest above Buffalo that's hit or miss for turkey, but it gives me a chance to tromp around the countryside. And now and then I get a decent size Tom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.