T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SteveG
He could have used a burglar alarm.
Any other recent local break-ins?
Yep, over the summer, just a few blocks away. Was actually a shooting in that one. Neighbors of the victims watched a pick up truck full of black young men unload the valuables into the truck, and eventually asked what they were doing. The burglars told them to mind their business, and fired several rounds from a .22 into the porch where they were standing. They ran inside and called the police while the truck sped away.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
You need to move out of that hood bro! I mean seriously!

RUN!!
I'm beginning to agree.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rattler
most burglars are not interested in tackling any good sized dog.....my GSP trying to get to them through the door is pretty intimidating.....
No doubt. The GSP has the look of pure business to him.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
You guys are mean . . . . . . . . . . but funny! grin
I'm almost tempted to unblock their posts just this once. Almost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice as hell once you get through the door though if im home anyway.....the schip will still try to take you out though......funny as hell watching my daughters friends.....they arent scared of my 50 pound bird dog, but that 10 pound schip has them on the run every time.....funny as hell watching them peak out the door to her bedroom to see just where Bear is and than making the mad dash to the front door before she can get ahold of them grin its entertaining when its one of her gal friends that might go a 100 pounds.....gut busting hilarious when its a guy that goes 220.....especially with me yelling "GET'EM! GET'EM! GET'EM!" at the top of my lungs laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Sounds like kids out on Christmas break.
I bet they love this time of year. They probably figured there were Christmas presents around the tree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Horrible feeling to have your home broken into and things rummaged through.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know why I would not get a gun back. It seems it is a strong arm tactic to reduce crime reports. They always seem to report crime is going down, but I doubt it. I checked with other LEO and they confirmed it was general policy for city and county where I lived (Brevard County, FL). I also had a rifle and another pistol, but I quickly realized I should not mention them and may need tto quickly hide them. I was told any gun at the scene would be confiscated.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Better him than you.
Yeah, true.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
nice as hell once you get through the door though if im home anyway.....the schip will still try to take you out though......funny as hell watching my daughters friends.....they arent scared of my 50 pound bird dog, but that 10 pound schip has them on the run every time.....funny as hell watching them peak out the door to her bedroom to see just where Bear is and than making the mad dash to the front door before she can get ahold of them grin its entertaining when its one of her gal friends that might go a 100 pounds.....gut busting hilarious when its a guy that goes 220.....especially with me yelling "GET'EM! GET'EM! GET'EM!" at the top of my lungs laugh
laugh When I was a kid, we had a Yorkshire Terrier that would do that. Fearless little dog. Any strange man who entered the house would get his ankles viciously attacked. He'd hang on to the pant leg like grim death. Some men would freak out and really fling him across the room. Tough little dog, too. My folks thought it was cute, so never broke him of the habit.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mountainclmbr
I don't know why I would not get a gun back. It seems it is a strong arm tactic to reduce crime reports. They always seem to report crime is going down, but I doubt it. I checked with other LEO and they confirmed it was general policy for city and county where I lived (Brevard County, FL). I also had a rifle and another pistol, but I quickly realized I should not mention them and may need tto quickly hide them. I was told any gun at the scene would be confiscated.
Sounds like pure tyranny right there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yea, they did not even want or take a description of the home invader. They were only interested that I had a gun in a confrontation in my own home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive tried breaking her of it, wanted her to be an office dog but they were bred to be burglar alarms on barges and farms, even with intense socialization from the first day we got her she would take off after everyone that came in the door, took her 6 months to get used to my brother coming over every night to use my internet and she loves him and stays with him when we are out of town.....she is dead set on protecting her patch of ground from any and all comers.....quit taking her to the shop after 12 months of introducing her to everyone that walked in the door and she still was bark first and scarring ppl.....

not sure what the german shorthair would do if i aint home, have seen him get aggressive when a stranger we were chatting with we ran across out hunting got to close to my wife......didnt try and bite but it was a hell of a growl....pretty sure he would have bit had the guy not taken a step back.....he is a major goofball 99% of the time but prolly wouldnt be smart to push him.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/20/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
... he is a major goofball 99% of the time but prolly wouldnt be smart to push him.....
Well, it's contrary to the popular conception (and that's a good thing if deterring burglars is your objective), but ask any normal person who owns a Pitbull (not some tough guy from the hood), and you will likely get the same personality description as you gave of your German Shorthair.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my brother had a pit i loved.....think they are great working dogs, he used his as a cow dog when dealing with a couple really pissy bulls.....the dogs i have the most trouble with locally are stock dogs someone decided to make a pet out of and not keep exercised or gave a job to, have yet to have a problem with a pit....BUT have seen some otherwise really good pits go really bad without warning.....cause of that i wont own one of the breed as a pet.....for the same reasons i wont own a dalmatian....

do i think pits should be outlawed? no, dont think any breed should......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pit bulls are powerful, but I think they are not so smart on average. I have Belgian Teruveren and Belgian Shepard dogs that have successfully fought off black bears on two occasions. But a pit bull is better than a poodle!

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's troubles Hawk. Seriously time to be looking for a new chunk of real estate. Maybe look for a few acres outside the city limits where you could have a garden and some chickens, maybe an orchard.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's troubles Hawk. Seriously time to be looking for a new chunk of real estate. Maybe look for a few acres outside the city limits where you could have a garden and some chickens, maybe an orchard.
That would be nice. I can have both a garden and chickens where I am, though. I pass other properties on my walks not far from here with chickens (I love to stop and look at them free ranging), and quite a few with horses. Folks across the street have three horses. Unfortunately, once you cross the railroad tracks, about five block east of me, it becomes a very different neighborhood. I PMed you a couple years ago about what happened one night when I, lost in thought, accidentally crossed into that area.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

and some goats.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wildbill59

and some goats.
Goats are cute animals, but I'm off goat's milk. I tried to get used to it, but just couldn't. Love my cow's milk, i.e., that I get from a natural grass fed dairy. I drink it raw. Much better that way.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 54 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.