Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

1. The caveman survival scenario. This scenario envisions the total break down of all civilization due to some super catastrophic event such as a giant asteroid hitting earth or total nuclear winter. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario.

Do you guys have any other survival scenarios to share and the types of weapons that might work?

I've been thinking about a "zombie take over the world scenario." How would I harden my house to repel the zombies? What would I need in terms of weapons and ammo? Would food be available or should I stock up on canned goods and gasonline?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Survival scenarios! Now there is a subject for discussion.

I'll be brief though. Most of the 'preppers' I know, are not disaster specific. Instead, they live their lives prudently, frugally, and with an eye to keeping one step ahead of life.

This means maintaining your health and body, keeping adequate supplies of food, water, gear, fuel............. in short having enough of the basics of life to sustain life.

Weapons probably get discussed more than food preps, or your financial preps, but heck, guns are fun. I believe that my modest preparations in that regard are sound, well thought out, and more than sufficient.

Here is one little grouping that I was considering the other day. My Quality Hardware USGI .30 Carbine, my Springfield 1911-A1, and my KBAR.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/22/10.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who was a green beret and taught winter survival to special forces in the wild woods of Maine. He said the soldiers would come and go, while he just stayed out there. He could have had all the comforts of home, but would only indulge in one. A cast iron frying pan! He said " to heck with the weight, I would take that pan with me everywhere." He's a really nice guy. Partially mad, mind you, but very nice. He's got a German Mauser and a long bow he hunts with. He's 70 plus and still gets his deer every year.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Yeah, but you're screwed if all your cats revolt. wink

This is very true! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcp
I don't worry about it. The government will take care of me. That's what they are there for. crazy

Yep, we can all sit on our roofs a cry and wail if Obama doesn't rescue us immediately. He'll be on it day one!

I'm better when I move.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

I'll take number 3 for 200, Alex.

I bet you'll get that 200, too!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While we're on the subject, it appears that, when things sort out after a #3, people end up going to jail for things they did during it. So, don't lose sight of the fact that order will be returned someday, and some people may be asking questions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
as some former NOPD members found out last week.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and Africk is really going to drop the hammer on them at sentencing.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans,"

Yup, I'm of the same mind set....haven't heard a DAMNED thing about Non-Hybrid seed here,.....either

However,.......

"Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh"

....if you are indeed serious,....I'll be adding YOUR arm and ammo to my more then sufficient store of same.

Ron's call out, "the other thing is i believe it would be good above all else to have a group of like minded people of good heart to band together.
A wolf by himself is one thing, but a pack is another.
I have also encouraged sharing and helping one another."

....all I can say is Semper DesertRatUS !

Tee-Heh-Heh

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
question one, is that worth surviving in? Life is not worth living if it must be done in misery. If I knew a nuclear exchange ws coming, I'd stand outside to give a good look

Last edited by crosshair; 12/22/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.haven't heard a DAMNED thing about Non-Hybrid seed here,.....either

Should have mentioned it but it slipped my mind, daughter grows a bunch of greens and veggies and we have some generic citrus trees and even grow old fashioned seeded watermelons & Strawberries.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'll be brief though. Most of the 'preppers' I know, are not disaster specific. Instead, they live their lives prudently, frugally, and with an eye to keeping one step ahead of life.

This means maintaining your health and body, keeping adequate supplies of food, water, gear, fuel............. in short having enough of the basics of life to sustain life.

Weapons probably get discussed more than food preps, or your financial preps, but heck, guns are fun. I believe that my modest preparations in that regard are sound, well thought out, and more than sufficient.

Here is one little grouping that I was considering the other day. My Quality Hardware USGI .30 Carbine, my Springfield 1911-A1, and my KBAR.
[Linked Image]
Classic combo. Love it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 444Matt
You forgot zombies. Gotta have a good zombie gun!

And a carnivorous, reptilian alien rifle...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You would have to band together with good neighbors to survive. One well armed and fed family won't be able to hold off a crowd of starving people. At least not for more than a few occasions.

Crossfire, get yourself plenty of dry beans. None of them are hybrids. For a small investment, say $100 dollars, you could have ten years worth of the latest disease resistant hybrid seeds. That would be many more times useful than a bunch of old heirloom varieties that are susceptible to diseases and low in yield.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

[Linked Image]

My kind of guy. Your weapon choice would be my way of thinking as well especially for numbers 3 and 4.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crosshair
question one, is that worth surviving in? Life is not worth living if it must be done in misery. If I knew a nuclear exchange ws coming, I'd stand outside to give a good look

For number 1 that's the way I look at it to.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
most survival situations will come down to coming in at 4:00 a.m. with lipstick on your collar and you smelling like perfume.

if you can survive that, what's a little nuclear fallout?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't think you'll survive you're probably right.

Tools, seeds, guns, short ropes and tall horses....grim Christmas but maybe better days ahead. Don't fergit the whiskey for medicinal purposes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.