Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't see anything that is going to stop this train wreck, what say you?

It does seem a bit overwhelming at times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It wouldn't take a full blown revolution just hang a few key players and the rest would immediately get religion.

These thugs are all cowards and can only hide behind beauracracy when it starts to get personal they'll run for cover like the rats they are.

It is the always weak that seek power and bonds for others.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by burner
The only way revolution would work is if the military, or a large portion of it, was on the side of the people.

How are you going to deal with predator drones, computer-guided bunker buster missiles fired from offshore, M-1 tanks, etc., with your AR-15 or your AK-47. Answer: You're not, so you're going to have to make sure that they aren't going to be used against you.

I have heard that said before, but keeping in mind perhaps not all in the military would fire on their own people, and the U.S. is a big place with a lot of people 300million plus.
There is a lot of firepower, but you would have to use it, perhaps doubtbull, and maybe you would run out of toys before people.
I can't really imagine a situation where the armed forces would turn on their own people to a great extent
I guess i can also add i would hope not in my lifetime to see a situation of that nature develop

I agree, I don't think the military would fire on their own.

However, I would want to be on the side of the people controlling those weapons, UNLESS they were the ones firing on their own.

A man and his rifle CAN win the day, but even back in Vietnam and Afghanistan, the technology wasn't what it was today. I don't know that those are valid comparisons anymore.

The best way that this would happen is if the military defected en masse and there either weren't enough trained people to use the weapons against us, so they were mothballed, or the military joined in.

The other issue to consider here is: What if China or Russia chose to help the existing government, because of all the money that is owed to them? That could get hairy. Maybe they would choose to help the revolutionaries, but I doubt it unless they thought that it was beneficial to their ends.

Remember, even the Minutemen had the support of France to help provide assistance.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stray round
It wouldn't take a full blown revolution just hang a few key players and the rest would immediately get religion.

These thugs are all cowards and can only hide behind beauracracy when it starts to get personal they'll run for cover like the rats they are.

It is the always weak that seek power and bonds for others.

I think this is why they have pulled some of the high profile stunts that they have pulled so far.

David Koresh, Ruby Ridge, etc. come to mind. Flex their nuts to scare people back into submission.

Unfortunately the US law enforcement others have been more than willing to participate in these "exercises."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any sort of revolution would give them reason to impose martial law.
Hell most would clamor for something to be done to stop the violence.
I believe the military would mostly do their jobs.
Remember Kent state?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only way revolution would work is if the military, or a large portion of it, was on the side of the people.

How are you going to deal with predator drones, computer-guided bunker buster missiles fired from offshore, M-1 tanks, etc., with your AR-15 or your AK-47. Answer: You're not, so you're going to have to make sure that they aren't going to be used against you.

The Iraqis and Afghans seem to be doing okay against them so far, and have been for years. I 'spect American guerrillas could too. The US military is good at destroying small, high-value targets; it sucks at offense against a large, diffuse, thinly-distributed defense.

As for soldiers not firing on Americans, I think that's a forlorn hope. Yes, I know about the Oathkeepers and such; but when it comes time to sic the US military on the American citizenry, those people will be immediately discharged with extreme prejudice and replaced with gangbangers from the hood and all the other Francises from Stripes: "All I know is now finally I get to kill somebody."

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A man and his rifle CAN win the day,
'Can', yes, but in very limited circumstances.. But one man can be more easily isolated and overtaken. IMVHO opinion, a better strategy is to have four or five-man teams (ala SEALS) that can cover one another, spread out to flank attackers and provide different types of firepower..

But what the hell do I know.. I was in submarines.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Barak

The Iraqis and Afghans seem to be doing okay against them so far, and have been for years. I 'spect American guerrillas could too. The US military is good at destroying small, high-value targets; it sucks at offense against a large, diffuse, thinly-distributed defense.

Herein lies the issue though. The Iraqis, etc., for the most part don't live like we do.

When you're used to living in caves, you're harder to find than when you're used to living in the city.

How many of us are truly prepared to live like nomads to avoid the government troops? Especially in the dead of winter across most of the northern US?

Control the cities and a large portion of the population is locked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But cities can't survive without supplies; supplies have to come in from outside. Supplies coming in from outside, and the convoys that carry them, are vulnerable. Even city dwellers, subjected to the starvation and pestilence of a long-term siege, might find the intestinal fortitude to knock off a garrison soldier now and again.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Possibly, I'm just saying that a lot of people who think that the current government will go down like the British did are sorely mistaken.

If and when it happens, I don't think it will look ANYTHING like 1776.

For one thing, in 1776 we were still a colony. Makes it good and bad -- we can cut off the head so the body dies, right in DC, but that also means that everything they need to control us is right here too.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Everyone needs to make plans now. Join your lacal Alarm and Muster group. Prepare NOW for the upcoming events. Think about what you and your family will have to do and where you will go. Do you have enough supplies? Guns, ammo, food, medical supplies. Start stocking up on prescription meds. At lease three months supply. The same for food and water. Be prepared. It is coming!!

The foundation for old age is good memories.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 2012 election will be big. Mark the wrong candidates and beat them. The Tea Party was highly successful at dong this. Full conservative control of Congress is not out of the realm of possibility.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sse
The 2012 election will be big. Mark the wrong candidates and beat them. The Tea Party was highly successful at dong this. Full conservative control of Congress is not out of the realm of possibility.

But will they be able to, or will they even TRY, to undo all of the damage that Obama has done?

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
True Tea Party style conservatives will. The current Repub establishment won't. I still find it amazing that so many real conservatives have been elected and also reveal how far off the mark Repub's have become.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barak

When American forces over in the sand box are trying to limit civilian casualties, the insurgents can pick and choose when to engage.

As we saw in WWII, if America applies a full court press, civilians along with enemy combatants are just plowed under. There was no place to hide in Tokyo, or Hamburg.

My guess, just as with our first Civil War, .gov will stop at nothing to preserve their power.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Barak

When American forces over in the sand box are trying to limit civilian casualties, the insurgents can pick and choose when to engage.

As we saw in WWII, if America applies a full court press, civilians along with enemy combatants are just plowed under. There was no place to hide in Tokyo, or Hamburg.

My guess, just as with our first Civil War, .gov will stop at nothing to preserve their power.

Civilians in Hamburg (I don't recall any significant damage done to Tokyo--Doolittle's raid was largely symbolic) weren't exactly diffuse or thinly distributed. They were pretty thick on the ground.

How would you go about destroying the population of Afghanistan, for example? More than 99% of the energy you put into it would be wasted bouncing rocks.

But the US government, regardless of what it would like to do, or what it's capable of doing, can't afford to destroy a significant portion of its subjects or their infrastructure, because it depends on those subjects and that infrastructure for its own sustenance.

The danger is not from the military. Sure, the government will eventually use the military against its own subjects, because politicians are by and large stupid people. But the biggest key to survival for any government is its popular legitimacy, and using the military against the American people will cost the government far more in legitimacy than it could ever gain from such a use.

The danger is from the government intellectuals who will be constantly finding ways to absolve the government and convict its enemies in the eyes of the American people, maintaining its popular legitimacy.

For example, "Murdering unarmed journalists in Iraq was okay, because there were weapons in the vicinity." Or, "Wikileaks is bad because some of the information it might release at an indeterminate point in the future might be indirectly connected to the identification of some spies."

If liberty is ever to be regained, either the government intellectuals will have to be stopped (not likely) or a significant fraction of the people will have to become smart enough to see through their spin (also not likely).

Guns are great, but they won't end up preserving much liberty. No matter how grimly you cling to them, you'll die one day and your children, indoctrinated by government intellectuals in government schools, government media, and government-approved churches, will toddle down to the sheriff's office and sell them to a buy-back program. Or if your kids don't, their kids will. Because the popularly legitimate government told them that guns are bad and they believed it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A smart man said years ago that not a dimes worth of difference between the 2 parties,fine example with the votes the last few days. Doom and Gloom!!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Barak, you make everybody out as mindless robots...I don't think they are, and those parents who "see" will also point out to their children the realities. People are beginning to wake up. The last election was a sort of wake-up call.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"...don't recall any significant damage done to Tokyo..." ????

Wow! Maybe 100,000 Japanese that were killed during ONE bomb raid with fire bombs would disagree with you!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Barak
But cities can't survive without supplies; supplies have to come in from outside. Supplies coming in from outside, and the convoys that carry them, are vulnerable.
Yes. And that very thing can be used against 'em in DC.. OTR trucking companies send their drivers and vehicles to DC, then just stop. Block all roads going in/out of the city.. A bunch more clog the runways.. No supplies coming in, nothing/nobody allowed out - starve the bastids outta the capitol..

It would require a huge organizational plan.. But it could work...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 16,460 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,204
Posts18,543,622
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.