Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Ain't marketing a hoot?

I bet a lot of the perception that Glocks are more reliable than 1911s comes as a result of the fact that more 1911s get tinkered with (whether they need it or not) than Glocks.

I can understand DINK's reluctance though. If most of his brothers are using Glocks with good results but the ones who used 1911s had problems, he may question his own 1911 experience as nothing more than good luck. I perceive him as one who has little faith in luck and more in statistics (that he is privy to). I think he could work past that by learning more about the mechanics of the gun, but he isn't interested.

Freeme I like the 1911. There is nothing wrong with them. I just think the glock is a better carry/duty gun for a variety of reasons. I do believe that a glock will run dirty where a 1911 might or it might not. I have owned and shot a alot of pistol/revovlers and have come to a opinion of what I want in a carry gun.

I had two great 1911's but when something went bump in the night they were not the first thing I grabbed for.

Dink

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Glocks might be reliable but the grip angle turns me off. That and I would outshoot the Glock 19 shooters at the range with my Colt 1911.

Larry Vickers wrote his findings on some forums that stirred up the Glock fans:
Originally from 1911forum.com IIRC:

Quote:
Larry Vickers

Sand Test
Just had a chance to do a harsh sand test on few different handguns. This test was not scientific but was very enlightening.

Pistols tested were; HK USP Tactical
Customized 1911
rack grade GI 1911
Glock 21

Test consisted of placing each pistol loaded in a Bianchi GI field holster inside a plastic bag with approx 2 cups of fine/medium grit sand ( North Carolina type). Then the bag was shaken vigorously for 10 seconds while holding onto the pistol butt for safety. The pistol was then taken out and 3 mags were fired through the 1911 and 2 fully loaded mags were fired through the HK and Glock - roughly the same amount of ammo. The sand coverage was very good and uniformly covered the pistols. The pistols were loaded in the mode you would expect in a field environment - condition 3 for the 1911, loaded for the Glock and loaded in DA mode for the USP.A test was done dry and lubed with TW 25B. This test represented EXTREME sand conditions - not normal field use, even in sandy conditions.A brief rundown of the results follow;

1)Carrying your gun dry in this environment is a NO GO despite what some will say. All pistols performed worse dry than lubed.

2)All pistols required some manipulation in order to fire - none would function normally straight out of the holster.

3)Overall the HK USP performed the best - the performance of it dry was roughly the same as the customized 1911 but was definately the best lubed. Overall it performed well.

4)The custom 1911 was second - interestingly enough the trigger track was not a real problem - the sand that went in through the ejection port to the bottom lugs area caused the most problems. Once the sand shifted in this area the pistol functioned better.

5)The rack grade GI 1911 was a distant third - the custom 1911 had an 18 pound recoil spring and that helped with feeding greatly vs the rack grade gun. Swap out the recoil spring and it probably would have done better.

6)The shocker of the day - the Glock 21 FAILED terribly. The big problem was failure of the trigger to reset. Also at times the pistol would not fire due to sand in the trigger mechanism. The dry test could not even be completed with the Glock due to this.This surprised all of us as we expected the Glock to do quite well.

Moral of the story; The 1911, even in its customized mode, can get the job done if you set it up to succeed. Lube it right, carry it in the right holster and in the proper mode, and it won't let you down - just like it hasn't for nearly a 100 years.

The HK USP series are good guns - well designed and well made - for service pistols. The ergonomics hurt the pistol dramatically but for an out of the box service pistol/field gun, they get my endorsement.

The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read.

Hope you guys got something out of this - I did.

Larry Vickers

End of quote

If one can shoot a Glock well then more power to them but don't go posting its somehow superior to other great pistols.

MtnHtr

I didn't. I said I picked the G19 over others. The Glock grip angle apparently turns off Clint Smith too. Me personally, I love 1911s and want get another one but I've experienced too many malfunctions with them to trust them as my primary self-defense arm.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I didn't. I said I picked the G19 over others. The Glock grip angle apparently turns off Clint Smith too. Me personally, I love 1911s and want get another one but I've experienced too many malfunctions with them to trust them as my primary self-defense arm.

Expat
There really isn't "a 1911." There are dozens upon dozens of them, and probably thousands. There isn't a 1911 company out there who's the only company making them. You therefore have to take each one and judge it individually. If you have one that works, however, it works. If you don't, then it needs adjustment till it does.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Expat

I have 2 full size 1911s and one small Kimber Ultra Carry and all function perfectly and a full sized 1911 is what I have with me at all times. They all run perfectly, I pull the trigger and I hear a bang every time. If a 1911 has a feeding issue they are not difficult to correct so as to not have that problem again ever IME
A quality 1911 platform has a track record of excellence

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I read alot of Clint Smith before he became "famous". If there was ever a 1911 man he was it. Well until XD and Smith & wesson came across with some money. Now it would not suprise me to see him shooting a Hi-Point if they can come up with the money.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
"But if the only way to extole a Glock is to deride all others????????
Who do you think you are fooling?????"

Are you referring to my post? If so point out the derision.

Dan

That's my post that just happened to be after yours.
I had to find your post to see what you were talking about.
Still don't understand. Seemed like you were talking about one shooter ond two brands.
Let me know where I refered to you.
May take a while..........I'll wait.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glock has a proven track record,and they have been put through some of the most intense torture testing and round totals I am aware of.Hard to talk down a gun that has such a outstanding track record.I would definitely carry a glock before a 1911.

1 and done
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by highridge1
Hard to talk down a gun that has such a outstanding track record.

Just so I'm clear, which Glock are we talking about? Generation 1, 2, 3, or 4? Pre or post the 'Six Part Upgrade? Which extractor? Which breech face?

smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I would definitely carry a glock before a 1911.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a Glock

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
I would definitely carry a glock before a 1911.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a Glock
Like trying to take aim with a brick.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's my personal experiences.

I started out with a G23. It was great, but for some dumb reason I sold it.

Bought a Kahr. It wouldn't feed a whole mag without malfunctioning. They told me it was the "break in period" and it was because it had "such tight tolerances." Ok. I kept shooting it. It kept jamming. I did a little work on it and ended up sending it back. After that it was about 90%.

I then got a Kahr PM9. Same story. Enough with the Kahrs.

I tried several others. I carried a Kimber for a while, and had loads of problems with it, too. Send it back, they say. Forget it. Sold it.

Repeat that cycle for about 6 different handguns. In the middle there I picked up a G29. Never had to worry about break in. Didn't have to worry about anything. It just worked.

I just grabbed a G19. Same boring story. It just works. Every time.

I don't care how they look, those dang glocks go bang when I pull the trigger. I don't have to worry about what I'm feeding it or how I treat it. I learned that through a lot of rounds and some sad experience.

I'm back where I started.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Here's my personal experiences.

I started out with a G23. It was great, but for some dumb reason I sold it.

Bought a Kahr. It wouldn't feed a whole mag without malfunctioning. They told me it was the "break in period" and it was because it had "such tight tolerances." Ok. I kept shooting it. It kept jamming. I did a little work on it and ended up sending it back. After that it was about 90%.

I then got a Kahr PM9. Same story. Enough with the Kahrs.

I tried several others. I carried a Kimber for a while, and had loads of problems with it, too. Send it back, they say. Forget it. Sold it.

Repeat that cycle for about 6 different handguns. In the middle there I picked up a G29. Never had to worry about break in. Didn't have to worry about anything. It just worked.

I just grabbed a G19. Same boring story. It just works. Every time.

I don't care how they look, those dang glocks go bang when I pull the trigger. I don't have to worry about what I'm feeding it or how I treat it. I learned that through a lot of rounds and some sad experience.
I'm back where I started.

You make them sound almost as good as a quality 1911

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much does a quality 1911 cost?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Backroads
Depends.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Backroads

I picked up my Sprienfield used for 500 dollars and it has yet to jam and I have shot it a thousand of more times and it is extremely reliable

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, we come full circle right back to the fact that every maker makes some good ones and some bad ones. I have a S&W M1911PD that has been flawless out of the box for the past 7 years, I think it was around $1,100 (I paid much less, but that�s not available to everyone) new because mine is the one that comes with CTC laser grips which really drives up the cost. I�ve shot many S&W 1911�s and I�ve yet to have a failure of any kind with any of them. I�ve also had great experiences with Kimber and Para Ordnance.

My local police department issues Springfield �Loaded� Stainless 1911�s and they�re absolutely loving them. The rangemaster has informed me he has yet to encounter a malfunction at the range, and they have been carrying their Springfield�s for over 3 years now. I gave some private instruction to a local officer and got to lay my little grubbies on their issue gun and it�s not how I would set up a 1911, but it�s hard to argue with the results. The woman I was instructing was definitively told that her gun would never malfunction, so I induced a malfunction to show her that any pistol will malfunction under the right circumstances.

My boss at my day job paid $440.00 for his RIA which has yet to produce a single hiccup in over 500 rounds for him; so you don�t necessarily have to spend a fortune.

There are a lot of great 1911�s out there. I hear all this talk of bad 1911�s on the internet, but I don�t see them when I�m out shooting. Yeah, you see malfunctioning 1911�s at pistol matches, because people are constantly experimenting with them, changing springs and what not. But I�ve seen just as many problems with Glocks at those matches, and for pretty much the same reasons, people are changing springs, triggers and whatnot.

Also consider that at shooting ranges, and pistol matches, a lot of shooters are using reloaded ammunition. Reloading for a semi-auto takes someone who knows what the heck they�re doing, so many pistol match malfunctions in most any pistol design can often be attributed to bad ammunition also.

So head to a pistol match armed with the knowledge that people there are shooting reloaded ammunition in guns that could be considered �experimental� because of the level of questionable customization and one shouldn�t be surprised to see guns failing under such conditions.

Give me factory ammunition, and I�ll put my S&W M1911PD up against a Glock any day of the week�My S&W may win, the Glock may win, either way, I don�t consider one necessarily �better� than the other.

If you want to talk about the design itself (excluding manufacture); then it�s clear the M1911 has an unbeatable service record that the Glock won�t approach for at least another 50-60 years.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Give me factory ammunition, and I�ll put my S&W M1911PD up against a Glock any day of the week�My S&W may win, the Glock may win, either way, I don�t consider one necessarily �better� than the other.
That's been my experience with my S&W 1911 scandium commander as well. My only complaint is that it, like most lightweight commanders in my experience, occasionally spits spent brass right into my face. That's another reason I'm such a fan of the all steel 1911s, with which I've never had brass shot into my face.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting that the two of the most commonly used firearms are the two most controversial, the AR and the Glock.

I've carried S&W, Beretta, Sig and Glock while a police officer. I prefer and feel armed with a Glock, some other handguns not so much.

Strange there are never any controversies on shotguns other than why some very good ones have been discontinued.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When you click on reply to a post, it normally means you are replying to "that" post. It helps people sort out who the remarks are directed at. I know, I ended a sentence with a preposition and it's improper.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
When you click on reply to a post, it normally means you are replying to "that" post. It helps people sort out who the remarks are directed at. I know, I ended a sentence with a preposition and it's improper.

Dan
"... at whom remarks are directed ..." grin

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,712
Posts18,514,048
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.