Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My only complaint is that it, like most lightweight commanders in my experience, occasionally spits spent brass right into my face.

That's nothing a little extractor/ejector tuning won't fix. My first guess would be too much extractor tension. Second guess would be too short an ejector.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
When you click on reply to a post, it normally means you are replying to "that" post. It helps people sort out who the remarks are directed at. I know, I ended a sentence with a preposition and it's improper.

Dan
"... at whom remarks are directed ..." grin

I would have said "to whom" but I'm from Wisconsin.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I didn't. I said I picked the G19 over others. The Glock grip angle apparently turns off Clint Smith too. Me personally, I love 1911s and want get another one but I've experienced too many malfunctions with them to trust them as my primary self-defense arm.

Expat
There really isn't "a 1911." There are dozens upon dozens of them, and probably thousands. There isn't a 1911 company out there who's the only company making them. You therefore have to take each one and judge it individually. If you have one that works, however, it works. If you don't, then it needs adjustment till it does.

Yep. Perhaps the next one.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
But do you see what I mean? Comparing "The 1911" to a Glock is comparing apples and oranges. One refers to a design pattern used to put together a handgun to different standards by different companies using parts from several different companies each, and the other is an actual product made in house by a company called Glock. You have to narrow down the scope on the 1911 side at least to one company, but even then there are all sorts of mags out there in common use, and even that one company, for the most part, is using different parts from different manufacturers at any given time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Here's my personal experiences...

I just grabbed a G19. Same boring story. It just works. Every time.

I don't care how they look, those dang glocks go bang when I pull the trigger. I don't have to worry about what I'm feeding it or how I treat it. I learned that through a lot of rounds and some sad experience.

I'm back where I started.

Honestly, don't fool yourself, you do need to worry about what you feed it and how you treat it. It does make a difference, nothing is perfect and if you don't concern yourself with quality ammo and good maintenance then you are setting yourself up for more sad experiences. BTW, of all the Glock's the G19 would be my pick too. But you can bet I'd keep it clean, lightly lubed, maintain the magazines, and she'd be stoked with good quality defensive ammo that I had assured myself was reliable in the gun and shot to point of aim.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But do you see what I mean? Comparing "The 1911" to a Glock is comparing apples and oranges. One refers to a design pattern used to put together a handgun to different standards by different companies using parts from several different companies each, and the other is an actual product made in house by a company called Glock.

We need to invent a new term...how about 'SFPP' (Striker-Fired Polymer Pistol)?

Then we can lump everything into one basket like is done for the 1911. Glock, XD, M&P, Hi-Points, and all the rest share one reputation.

"I bought a new SFPP today and it's a piece of junk, therefor all SFPP's are junk."

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am the first person to make light of a Hi-point but in all honesty I have never seen one fail. I have not seen any shot very much though.

I have worked a few shootings/suicides with them and they always work.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But do you see what I mean? Comparing "The 1911" to a Glock is comparing apples and oranges. One refers to a design pattern used to put together a handgun to different standards by different companies using parts from several different companies each, and the other is an actual product made in house by a company called Glock. You have to narrow down the scope on the 1911 side at least to one company, but even then there are all sorts of mags out there in common use, and even that one company, for the most part, is using different parts from different manufacturers at any given time.

Absolutely. Production of the 1911 is not monolithic like the Glock. I get that. I don't have massive 1911 experience, but as a 40 year shooter (almost 47 years old), you couldn't call it insignificant either. Through my years in the military, as an owner of 1911s, and as a shooter with relatives and friends that own them, I have experience with US Army 1911s, Colt Series 70s and 80s, older Springfields, an AMT, and a few others makers. All these guns were stock.

Also understand that the baseline is that I love the 1911 and the cartridge it fires and want to give it another chance that I might not give a CZ, Glock, or XD. That is why I want another one. I also recognize that I've not much recent experience with the 1911 (last 10 years). Note that I didn't list experience with Kimbers or some of the other current favorites. But until I get one that works consistently with quality factory ammo, I will carry something that has proven to ME that it will.

What I'm looking for in a 1911 is what I feel I've found in the G19, Beretta M9 (don't like that gun but it has always worked and shot well for me), CZ75 9mm, XD 9mm & .357 Sig, and S&W .38 SP amd .357 mag revolvers; a handgun that works out of the box with the magazines that came with it given proper maintenance, lube and quality ammo. I don't want to have to chase reliability through new mags, after market springs, tuning extractors, lowering ejection ports, polishing feed ramps, and throating barrels. It sounds like these guns are available. Here is to hoping I get one. Kimber, Dan Wesson, Para, and Springfield are the likely candidates. Until then and after, I will feel well armed carrying the previously mentioned G19, S&W M15, CZ75 (if I could get a frikkin reasonably priced holster for it) or friends' and relatives' XDs I have extensive experience with.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
But do you see what I mean? Comparing "The 1911" to a Glock is comparing apples and oranges. One refers to a design pattern used to put together a handgun to different standards by different companies using parts from several different companies each, and the other is an actual product made in house by a company called Glock.

We need to invent a new term...how about 'SFPP' (Striker-Fired Polymer Pistol)?

Then we can lump everything into one basket like is done for the 1911. Glock, XD, M&P, Hi-Points, and all the rest share one reputation.

"I bought a new SFPP today and it's a piece of junk, therefor all SFPP's are junk."
Well said.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Absolutely. Production of the 1911 is not monolithic like the Glock. I get that. I don't have massive 1911 experience, but as a 40 year shooter (almost 47 years old), you couldn't call it insignificant either. Through my years in the military, as an owner of 1911s, and as a shooter with relatives and friends that own them, I have experience with US Army 1911s, Colt Series 70s and 80s, older Springfields, an AMT, and a few others makers. All these guns were stock.

Also understand that the baseline is that I love the 1911 and the cartridge it fires and want to give it another chance that I might not give a CZ, Glock, or XD. That is why I want another one. I also recognize that I've not much recent experience with the 1911 (last 10 years). Note that I didn't list experience with Kimbers or some of the other current favorites. But until I get one that works consistently with quality factory ammo, I will carry something that has proven to ME that it will.

What I'm looking for in a 1911 is what I feel I've found in the G19, Beretta M9 (don't like that gun but it has always worked and shot well for me), CZ75 9mm, XD 9mm & .357 Sig, and S&W .38 SP amd .357 mag revolvers; a handgun that works out of the box with the magazines that came with it given proper maintenance, lube and quality ammo. I don't want to have to chase reliability through new mags, after market springs, tuning extractors, lowering ejection ports, polishing feed ramps, and throating barrels. It sounds like these guns are available. Here is to hoping I get one. Kimber, Dan Wesson, Para, and Springfield are the likely candidates. Until then and after, I will feel well armed carrying the previously mentioned G19, S&W M15, CZ75 (if I could get a frikkin reasonably priced holster for it) or friends' and relatives' XDs I have extensive experience with.

Expat
Your position is perfectly reasonable. Shoot what you have confidence in.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
I am the first person to make light of a Hi-point but in all honesty I have never seen one fail. I have not seen any shot very much though.

I have worked a few shootings/suicides with them and they always work.

Dink

I've never seen one fail either, but I admit to not spending much time watching. Odd to think that there are plenty of Hi-Point owners out there that believe Glock owners spent more money than necessary.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone mentioned Glocks being "controversial". I don't think there's any significant controversy over the function and reliability of Glock pistols. But there does seem to be a lot of controversy on the part of Glock fans in regards to 1911s - and for some of them, any other pistol than a Glock.

Although I have shot some, I've never owned a Glock (yet) - but the only pistol I've owned that never ever malfunctioned - even with crappy reloads - was a Hi-Power. I'd personally (so far) take a Hi-Power over any Glock. In fact - I consider the Glock inferior to the HP in functionality under ordinary conditions, at least in my hands...and much prettier, to boot. smirk

There's some more controversy for ya. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm so glad I'm a rifle guy, we don't have these silly squabbles

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
steelhead didn't the coast guard have to go with the glock for there units in either Texas or Florida? The article I read said it was the only pistol they could get that would go 12 hours with out rusting due to the salt water.

Dink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
steelhead didn't the coast guard have to go with the glock for there units in either Texas or Florida? The article I read said it was the only pistol they could get that would go 12 hours with out rusting due to the salt water.

Dink
I guess the Navy during WWII had ships full of rusty 1911s.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The few guys I know that were in the navy (the last 15 years or so) and were on ships most of the time did not get to carry or shoot a pistol very much. I don't know how much they packed one in WWII and my guess would be that you don't either.

I was told that when they were in a port in a foreign country during WWII that only one man out of a group (I don't recall the number. one in ten maybe?) would pack a pistol onto land. I don't know how much salt water the old 1911 would have been subjective to during these outings.

I was refering to the coast guards chopper guys. Where ever they are stationed they fly and play in the salt water there entire shifts.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of all the glocks, I like the G19 the best. Just got to wonder if they can be set up for southpaw?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Gen4 Glocks have a switchable magazine release, and aftermarket releases do the same thing for previous generations. Other than the ejection port there's nothing else to change.

Whenever I've switched a magazine release or safety it screws me up and I end up switching it back.

Robert Frost
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The few guys I know that were in the navy (the last 15 years or so) and were on ships most of the time did not get to carry or shoot a pistol very much. I don't know how much they packed one in WWII and my guess would be that you don't either.

I was told that when they were in a port in a foreign country during WWII that only one man out of a group (I don't recall the number. one in ten maybe?) would pack a pistol onto land. I don't know how much salt water the old 1911 would have been subjective to during these outings.

I was refering to the coast guards chopper guys. Where ever they are stationed they fly and play in the salt water there entire shifts.

Dink

When I was in the Navy in the early 70s, including more time in choppers than I ever desired -- 1911s were still very much in use. Anyone who ever stood quarterdeck watch as petty officer of the watch (and any number of other jobs) was quite familiar with the .45. I don't recall any of them ever being rusty, but then again, that's what we had gunner's mates for.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info JOG! Are you a southpaw too?

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,661
Posts18,512,878
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.