Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
The Gen4 Glocks have a switchable magazine release, and aftermarket releases do the same thing for previous generations. Other than the ejection port there's nothing else to change.

Whenever I've switched a magazine release or safety it screws me up and I end up switching it back.

Was looking at a Generation 4 Model 22 the other day and saw that. After dropping magazines (and slide releases on other models) with my left index finger for about 42 years, I wouldn't want to switch either!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DINK
steelhead didn't the coast guard have to go with the glock for there units in either Texas or Florida? The article I read said it was the only pistol they could get that would go 12 hours with out rusting due to the salt water.

Dink
I guess the Navy during WWII had ships full of rusty 1911s.

Another dumb [bleep] comment. I wonder how many boardings in and out of a 20' boat a Navy battleship performs in a day. We are in constant contact with/around water.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All here are opinions. I like my Steyr M9A1, more than my Glock. I feel that the Glocks are more dependable than all the other autos, because they are less sensitive to different mags. The CZ 75 is my 3rd choice.

If one really thinks that his auto handgun model is most dependable, he can borrow against his retirement, and send a check to a group from this forum in the amount of $25,000. The gun of his choice would be purchased NIB along with 10 mags. Telemarketers can be hired to fire all the handguns until they fail one shot. Winner takes all, handguns, mags, money, and all.

FWIW, the only thing that I would bet that much money on, is that if the police stop a Willie Nelson tour bus, they will find pot. Happy New Year.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort
Thanks for the info JOG! Are you a southpaw too?

Yes sir. I've never felt it was an issue with handguns except for holster selection. Long guns are much more of a hassle.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

Lipstick on a pig. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They might "work" but they sure as heck don't fit my hand near as well as a 1911 does so it may as well not even exist. Doesn't matter if it goes bang every time if I hate shooting the thing.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I have several 1911 model pistols and the Sig Sauers as well. However, I can shoot the Glocks without a problem and I can not do so with the other models mentioned.

I will also say, that I have never seen any make of pistol, tested and put through the "ringer" like I have seen the Glock pistol for a fact. Now buried in sand, frozen, thrown into the 2 ft of water, pushed into a bucket of sloppy mud, still all this and the Glock goes BANG BANG BANK!!!

This is something I just don't believe my Kimbers, Colts, Springfieds or Par Ordinance would do in the same type of test. Just for for thought gents and a light turned on for true reality!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
This is something I just don't believe my Kimbers, Colts, Springfieds or Par Ordinance would do in the same type of test. Just for for thought gents and a light turned on for true reality!

Why would you even own a gun that you didn't feel is reliable for your purposes? Not including a collectible of course. Do you own a deer rifle that might not fire when that big buck steps out?

If a firearm is going to find a place in my safe it either works, will be made to work, or is gone. It doesn't matter if it's a BB gun or a CCW, I have to have complete faith it will work.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

Why would you even own a gun that you didn't feel is reliable for your purposes? Not including a collectible of course. Do you own a deer rifle that might not fire when that big buck steps out?

If a firearm is going to find a place in my safe it either works, will be made to work, or is gone. It doesn't matter if it's a BB gun or a CCW, I have to have complete faith it will work.
Exactly my feeling on the matter.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Me too. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cut my teeth on a colt 70 series handgunning, it was when I thought of myself as a pistolero. lol

still find the 1911 most comfortable, still have the original I started with and a Kimber to boot in Commander size. Love both of those pistols. If the S(ever) hits the fan, would surprise me none to have 1 or both of those on me.

got a Glock 22 for momma, hmmmmmmmm we're on to something here, simple, fairly reliable, cheap.

I've got one 870 and IIRC 5 Mossbergs in 500 or 590 config.

the Glocks fill the same niche for me that the Mossies do in the shotgun world.

not pretty, but pretty dang reliable, cheap enough

and I have more folks to arm than just myself if the world would turn dicey.

Glocks have their place imo, not at the top of the list for my favorite handgun mind you.

but they have a place in my needs

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jog now before you start to whipping me with the "Cat Of 9-Tales" It is not about what can take the tests that have been done on the GLOCKS savvy!!! I did some of those tests back in the 70's on my Colt model 70 series pistol 1911. It would NOT fire if I stuck it in a bucket of sloppy mud and I sure was not going to attempt the under water test. It did NOT fire when I buried it in white sand but during the first shot and then JAMMED UP solid.

Now I shoot Glocks because my hand lets me do so and I can not work the safety on the 1911 models period. So I hope this explans my chooing the plastic pistols over the works of art I have gathering in my vault. My Glocks will never shoot 1-inch groups but by CCW weapons really don't need that kind of accuracy understand. Just draw and go BANG with a GLOCK.

Now as far as my big game rifles go, since you choose to bring the subject up, I own some 30 model 70 Winchesters in my vault and half dozen Rugers as well.......all bolt guns. Two Remingtons that were passed down to me, one a .35-Whelen. Also 4 of those Marlin Levers, 4 of the Winchesters (2 are pre-64 models. Various shotguns in O/U, semi-auto and pumpguns too, up the wazzoo! Along with a very nice collection of pistols you betcha. It only took me 55 years to get it done I dare say.

I own 2 of the Browning Bars in .338 & 25/06. Savages for varmint/predator hunting will total at least 6 at the present time in various calibers and one to be brought home on Monday, another model 12 in .223 for the wife. Cheer's!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk,
I guess many thousands of war time soldiers, cops, explorers, hunters, citizens, and even the bad guys since 1911 haven't wrung out the 1911 design to suit you, huh?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MOGC, just so you know this fact! The 1911 built for the ARMY back then was sooooo loose you are lucky to hit a 12" by 12" square at 30 feet. I know that for a fact being one of those so called soldiers back in the 60's.

They were certainly NO modern day KIMBER, SPRINGFIELD, Par-ORD. STI or COLT of modern day. These pistols are built to very tight tolerences and that is why they shoot so damn good.

The older 1911's were indeed made to fire in the sloppy mud that lay in the trenches of World War 1 and the sand of the South Pacific but NOT the premier pistols of today.
Now if you sir doubt my words, anytime you wish to put on an exhibition with a 1911 testing it in the sand, mud, and water, against one of my plastic UGLY GLOCKS, please do let me know and I will set it up my local gun club. The GLOCK is what it is simply put, a damn good CCW weapon that will fire under 98% of the things that will cause a modern 1911 like the Kimber or COLT to lock up or simply JAM.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
MOGC, just so you know this fact! The 1911 built for the ARMY back then was sooooo loose you are lucky to hit a 12" by 12" square at 30 feet. I know that for a fact being one of those so called soldiers back in the 60's.

They were certainly NO modern day KIMBER, SPRINGFIELD, Par-ORD. STI or COLT of modern day. These pistols are built to very tight tolerences and that is why they shoot so damn good.

The older 1911's were indeed made to fire in the sloppy mud that lay in the trenches of World War 1 and the sand of the South Pacific but NOT the premier pistols of today.
Now if you sir doubt my words, anytime you wish to put on an exhibition with a 1911 testing it in the sand, mud, and water, against one of my plastic UGLY GLOCKS, please do let me know and I will set it up my local gun club. The GLOCK is what it is simply put, a damn good CCW weapon that will fire under 98% of the things that will cause a modern 1911 like the Kimber or COLT to lock up or simply JAM.
The 1911s that passed the Army's tests in 1910 were not nearly as loose or inaccurate as you suggest. After decades of use, they became loose, but even then their mechanical accuracy was well within specs for their intended purpose.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Those military 1911's in the sixties and even before were worn out. They were never that inaccurate when produced

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC, just so you know this fact! The 1911 built for the ARMY back then was sooooo loose you are lucky to hit a 12" by 12" square at 30 feet.

The BS flag flutters to the field...

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the fact of the matter is that unless a 1911 model is LOOOSE as a Goose it would never fire if put into sloppy mud, sand etc. This much I know for a fact as of running my own tests on a model 70 series that I owned.

All a person has to do is simply look at the U-Tube on the internet and see for yourself how the tortcher tests have played out on the GLOCKS. Now other pistol has been subjected to tests the Glocks have passed with flying colors and I might add the H&K pistols too. You show me a model 1911 that has fired 250,000 rounds without a JAM or HANGUP.....PLEASE DO!!! Now lets not try to make me out as someone who hates the 1911 model, I own several of those pistols but like I said, I bet my life on the GLOCK first and foremost as a CCW weapon of choice.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Chuck Taylor wrote a aricle for Combat Handguns several years ago and he stated that all the militay 1911's were made loose to function. He even tested them from a ransom rest where some shot 2 inches at 25 yards and some shot 12+ inches at 25 yards. He did have one that shot 2 inches at 50 yards even though it had the "rattle" as he called it.

I have never shot a 1911 that old so I have no idea personally so take it for what it is worth.

Dink

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,648
Posts18,512,573
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.