Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
You show me a model 1911 that has fired 250,000 rounds without a JAM or HANGUP.....PLEASE DO!!!

When the chips are down, and given the option, any person with a lick of sense would toss that Glock in the trash and pick up the ol' Mossberg. Arbitrary measures of reliability don't trump reality.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well the fact of the matter is that unless a 1911 model is LOOOSE as a Goose it would never fire if put into sloppy mud, sand etc....

Wow - this morphed into a "1911s suck" thread just as I expected.

Since we're citing articles without, um, citation - I'll add that I remember reading another article where they did just such a test between three different 1911s, and they did much better than you are claiming, Tonk. I'll see if I can find it...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
Chuck Taylor wrote a aricle for Combat Handguns several years ago and he stated that all the militay 1911's were made loose to function. He even tested them from a ransom rest where some shot 2 inches at 25 yards and some shot 12+ inches at 25 yards. He did have one that shot 2 inches at 50 yards even though it had the "rattle" as he called it.

I have never shot a 1911 that old so I have no idea personally so take it for what it is worth.

Dink

Chuck also wrote this...

�If you�ve heard that Old Ugly is on the way out, you�d better look again, for such is simply untrue; quite the opposite. Everything it has had the capacity to do for the last eight and a half decades remains valid. It thus remains King Of The Hill and will likely continue to do so well into the next millennium. To produce a handgun with better or more practical capabilities will be difficult and perhaps impossible. And I, for one, feel that we can look forward to watching the M1911 continue to dominate the handgun world well into the foreseeable future.�

�So, is there really a "best" pistol? Technically, if we eliminate shooter skill from the equation, yes. When interviewed after the tests, all participants agreed that the big Colt Government .45 (SA) had the best all-around combination of power, "user-friendliness," accuracy and functional reliability, while the Glock M-22 .40 S&W ("semi"- DA) and LW Commander .45 (SA) tied for second. The Browning P-35 9mm (SA) was rated fourth and the Smith & Wesson M-39 9mm (DA) last.�

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
MOGC, just so you know this fact! The 1911 built for the ARMY back then was sooooo loose you are lucky to hit a 12" by 12" square at 30 feet.

The BS flag flutters to the field...

That one hit the BS meter so hard it bent the needle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More interesting reading...

http://pistolsmith.com/pistolsmiths/3980-vickers-sand-test.html

And apparently, the torture test I remember reading is a reprint from Guns & Ammo that was included in The Complete Book of the Model 1911 by Patrick Sweeney. If I haven't thrown that one out, I'll post some of it - but it probably got lost in "the purge". Anyway, some 1911s survived mud buckets and truck tires pretty well, IIRC.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JOG
You show me a model 1911 that has fired 250,000 rounds without a JAM or HANGUP.....PLEASE DO!!!

When the chips are down, and given the option, any person with a lick of sense would toss that Glock in the trash and pick up the ol' Mossberg. Arbitrary measures of reliability don't trump reality.

Hopefully anyone with sense would pick up a Remington 870 and leave the mossberg...

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Hopefully anyone with sense would pick up a Remington 870 and leave the mossberg...

Dink

If someone would just invent the Glock 12 ga. all other shotguns would be obsolete.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/03/11. Reason: spellin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

And apparently, the torture test I remember reading is a reprint from Guns & Ammo that was included in The Complete Book of the Model 1911 by Patrick Sweeney. If I haven't thrown that one out, I'll post some of it - but it probably got lost in "the purge". Anyway, some 1911s survived mud buckets and truck tires pretty well, IIRC.
He wrote a book II of that Title. I'm pretty sure I have both.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Dink
Have to agree with DINK on this one issue. Well, no. Someone with maximum sense would pick up an Ithaca Model 37 M&P. Best police/security pump shotgun ever made.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
When I started in this department there were still a couple of the Ithaca 37's in inventory. I shot them a little and I would still take a 870 any day of the week.

Dink

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
JOG: I have been in many situations where the "chips are down" and UNFORTUNATELY I was never inside my gun vault where I could open up any safe and pick and choose from among many pistols, shotguns and Rifles at these times!
When the "chips were down" I was VERY happy to have my concealable, high capacity, night sighted, super reliable, accurate and QUICK to get into action GLOCK with me!
I think you are the one without a "lick of sense" - by the way!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JOG
MOGC, just so you know this fact! The 1911 built for the ARMY back then was sooooo loose you are lucky to hit a 12" by 12" square at 30 feet.

The BS flag flutters to the field...

You mean like this

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I started in this department there were still a couple of the Ithaca 37's in inventory. I shot them a little and I would still take a 870 any day of the week.

Dink
Why? Only one "hole" in the action, and that on the bottom where least likely to have dirt or debris fall in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Interesting reading in the quote; not surprised the Glock didn't function, as overall, it's a pretty tight gun too.

Overall, I'd guess that dirt/mud conditions that make problems for a 1911, would for the most part make problems for the Glocks as well.

I've got 1911's & Glocks & both serve a purpose & I don't plan on immersing either in a bucket of mud or the bottom of a sand pit, so I won't be losing any sleep over how much dirt it takes to muck up either one.

[bleep] happens but you don't have to wallow in it.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
...I don't plan on immersing either in a bucket of mud or the bottom of a sand pit, so I won't be losing any sleep over how much dirt it takes to muck up either one....

Neither will I. wink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Dink
Why? Only one "hole" in the action, and that on the bottom where least likely to have dirt or debris fall in.

The biggest reason is because when your going somewhere and you taking your shotgun its awful nice to see that round feed from the magazine to the chamber. I never have liked a gun that I could not see if there was one in the chamber.

Dink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Dink

The biggest reason is because when your going somewhere and you taking your shotgun its awful nice to see that round feed from the magazine to the chamber. I never have liked a gun that I could not see if there was one in the chamber.

Dink
That seems a reasonable concern, but not outweighed IMO by the anti-debris factor unless you've experienced failures to feed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is quite apparent that most of those posting have not been to the U-TUBE to see all those tests put on the GLOCK pistols.

Now big deal in my book, I know what is what and I sure as hell know what I carry regardless of some people just want to walk around blind as a bat.

I do love the .45acp but the 1911 model can NOT hold a candle to the GLOCK, H&K or even the newer XD's........its called technology gentlemen.

Now for some who insist that the pistols being carried by those in the 1960's were simply "wore-out" just don't really have a friggin clue. I was once shown a new issue model 1911 (3 to be exact) that came to our company Sgt. My Sgt refused the offer to carry one of those pistol because they were in fact not very damn accurate.

Now do you think for one friggin minute that the US Army was going to have people qualify with wore out pistols on the range? It strikes me as very ludicrous that the rifles that were being used every day during basic training were sure as hell NOT WORE OUT and those who fired still managed to score "EXPERT" on the range. Now JWP you can stick that BS flag right up your frigging rectum savvy!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

YOu dumb azz you can stick up yours because that's were it belongs.

I guess that Sgt Alvin Yorks 1911 was so inacurate that the only reason that he killed 7 Germans with when thye charged his position is because he missed them and the inacurate bull missed his aim and killed them 1 shot each

You have just proved that cluelessness knows no bounds

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Now do you think for one friggin minute that the US Army was going to have people qualify with wore out pistols on the range?

Yea I think so. The one my Grandfather brought home form the war had no rifling's in the barrel. That's correct it was smooth as a babies bottom. I've been shooting 1911's for a long time and they are accurate and dependable SAVY

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.