-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think your the Dumb-ASS PAL! The model 1911 has come a hell of a long way since it's inception. The COLT Gold Cups and model 70 series are just a couple to mention. Plant that BS flag on your lawn.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tonk
I think your the Dumb-ASS PAL! The model 1911 has come a hell of a long way since it's inception. The COLT Gold Cups and model 70 series are just a couple to mention. Plant that BS flag on your lawn.

From WWI on the 1911 carved out an enviable reputation for itself.

You are not smart enough to know what you don't know

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like folks' preferences in handguns to bring out the warmth and camaraderie of the 'Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk - if you think, as you seem to be saying, that our recent ancestors (1900-era) did not have the ability or desire to mass-produce a semi-auto handgun that is both reliable and accurate (1911 Government), then you are truly clueless.

It doesn't take any high-technology or magic to make an accurate handgun - just some basic engineering. Our steel was quite good circ. 1900. The only real trick is reliability. And if you think a man with the experience of JMB couldn't design in reliability without making the gun inaccurate, you are again clueless.

The only thing "high-tech" about the Glock is the material it's made of. The design elements aren't new.

Seems you have a pretty low opinion of our grandfathers' intellect.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I guess the reason that SGT Major Plumley only used the 1911 the entire battle of LZ X-Ray is because of it's inaccuracy, right Tonk?

You are one clueless individual

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tonk
Well I have several 1911 model pistols and the Sig Sauers as well. However, I can shoot the Glocks without a problem and I can not do so with the other models mentioned.

I will also say, that I have never seen any make of pistol, tested and put through the "ringer" like I have seen the Glock pistol for a fact. Now buried in sand, frozen, thrown into the 2 ft of water, pushed into a bucket of sloppy mud, still all this and the Glock goes BANG BANG BANK!!!

This is something I just don't believe my Kimbers, Colts, Springfieds or Par Ordinance would do in the same type of test. Just for for thought gents and a light turned on for true reality!

Among the areas of success for the Colt was a test at the end of 1910 attended by its designer, John Browning. 6,000 rounds were fired from a single pistol over the course of two days. When the gun began to grow hot, it was simply immersed in water to cool it. The Colt gun passed with no reported malfunctions, while the Savage designs had 37.[4]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

But we had a new service pistol. The various revolvers and old 1911s were put to rest-or were they? Numerous top units have maintained and deployed with the 1911, often a custom version purchased at personal expense. Delta Force, Marine Recon, and various other units recognize the worth of a good pistol in close quarters combat. To them, good means a .45 auto. No matter what the real worth in combat, the fighting man seems more comfortable with the pistol on his hip. That brings us to an inescapable question: if the pistol isn�t very important, is the Beretta as good as any? It depends on your definition. Is the handgun a badge of office, used to direct troops, or is it a genuine implement of battle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more I read of Tonk's lousy 1911's, the more I suspect he's had a go at "tuning" 'em.

And - for the record - (lest someone skimming over this gets the wrong idea) - I don't have any real problem with Glocks. They work fine, but I just don't like 'em.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/other/Glock_vs_1911.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reliability - I have seen more feed failures on 1911-pattern guns than I have with Glocks (or Smith & Wessons and Berettas, for that matter). My personal 1911's, a Springfield and a Kimber, don't experience feed failures, although the Springfield did have a couple when it was new. At a recent IDPA match, I witnessed a Les Baer Custom and Colt Gold Cup experience failure to feed. The original mil-spec 1911A1 is a very reliable gun when using the mil-spec ammo around which it was designed, and contemporary 1911's which are properly throated and broken in are also extremely reliable. The original 1911's which were issued to the Army were built with very liberal tolerances�you could call them loose�because the Army valued reliability under adverse conditions above pinpoint accuracy. Many of the feed reliability problems with 1911 pistols arise from efforts to tighten up the frame, slide, barrel and bushing in order to achieve "match grade" accuracy. Glocks don't tend to suffer feed failures, but in order to achieve this reliability, they have more of their chambers cut away, leaving more of the case unsupported. This design feature has led to some blown Glock .40 S&W pistols. For more on this, see Dean Speir's Glock KaBoom FAQ. One reliability issue which I've seen more with Glocks than other pistols is their occasional failure to detonate primers. While Glock advocates will say that other pistols have the same problem, I've only seen it happen on Glocks. While Glock true-believers are driven to proclaim their guns as the ultimate in reliability, the NYPD has been experiencing extractor problems and double feeds on their Glock 9mms
Durability - I have heard claims that Glocks have launched as many as 300,000 rounds from a single pistol without a failure. I've never seen any documentation which would substantiate these claims, and I remain a bit skeptical about it. I'd like to see the gun, the round, and the test conditions. The FBI tests did document 50,000 rounds through the Glock .40 S&W without a breakdown, and that's an impressive performance. The original Army endurance test for the 1911 was 6,000 rounds. A well-built 1911 can be expected to have a service life of 150,000 rounds, although a part may break here or there during its lifetime. Only time will tell if the first Glocks will still be serviceable seventy five years from now. We know that many of the early 1911's are still functional and greatly desired by collectors.

Accuracy - In my opinion, an average government model 1911 is likely to be more accurate than the best Glock. In addition to that, 1911's can be tuned for greater accuracy whereas the Glock can't be. Between a really outstanding match grade 1911 and a Glock there is no contest in terms of accuracy. Glocks have acceptable accuracy for their intended mission, that being close range combat, but they are not tack-drivers. I haven't had opportunity to test one of the new long slide Glocks, but my initial impression is that they are an answer in search of a question.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/04/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
related to the subject, which is better Estwing or Stanley hammer?

my money is on the carpenter swinging it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think that one of Glocks selling points is the fact that it is a low maintance pistol.

I have several Glocks and every one of them fed/feed and function reliably rigth out of the box.

I am not suggesting that the 1911 design is less reliable, I am only suggesting the 1911 requires one to know more about its design to properly maintain it.

For example, someone a while back (I think it was you jwp475) gave an excellent explaination as to the working of the 1911 mag--or rather--how they should work. The average person--or duty officer would likely not know how to properly tune a 1911 mag. Whereas for the Glock, this is not an issue.

Another area is lubrication. In my limited experiance, the only time I really had issues with 1911's is when not properly lubricated. I've heard several prominate shooters say that the 1911 likes to be run "wet". This is not an issue with Glocks.

These are but simple examples of why I think Glocks require less maintance to keep them reliable.

The thing with Glock, that puts them out of sorts with the more analytical minded, is the advertisement of "perfection". This predisposes such minded individuals to prove that they are not so, and estabilishes a bias againt them from the get-go.

It appears that Glock has proven to be an excellent duty weapon. Perfect? No--nothing is!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have read about several glock range pistols that have documented one million rounds through them. Are there any 1911's that have been shot a million times?

The accuracy issue I don't think is a fair comparison. The glock was never intended to be a bullseye gun that the 1911 is. Would a bullseye gun run 100% of the time? Would they feed hollow points? Is it fair to compare a $500 pistol to a $3500 to $5000 pistol?

I like the 1911. A matter of fact I was looking at springfield's new range master last night. For a pure fighting pistol for the average guy I think the glock wins in durability, ease of use and accuracy. Its hard enough to get guys to qualify with a glock I can't imagine what would happen if they had a thumb safety to mess with and have to clean thier guns more than once a year.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JWP - I liked this quote from your link...

"The police establishment is now properly devoted to the Glock, and this seems to be a good choice. The Glock is a difficult piece to shoot well, and its safety problem has been solved by issuing it with a trigger that only a gorilla would love, but it has been generally admitted that the police today cannot be trained to shoot well - not so much because of time and ammunition expenditures, but because of motivation. A man will do well only at things he enjoys doing, and today's police departments are reluctant to hire a recruit who enjoys shooting. Thus the Glock's "shootability" is irrelevant. The piece is relatively cheap, it is usually reliable, and the company's service policies are outstanding."
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume V, Number 11.

Thing is though....I don't entirely agree with Mr Cooper. I know at least a few guys who shoot Glocks really well (for practical purposes). A couple of them were still in LE when they first started using the Glock, and did well with it from the start. I can get by pretty well with one myself after a little time for familiarization. Admittedly, I'm talking about "gun guys" here. And on that note, there clearly are some "gun guys" in LEO - probably more so in the rural west.

But his overall point is valid, and a little amusing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
...The thing with Glock, that puts them out of sorts with the more analytical mined, is the advertisement of "perfection". This predisposes such mined individuals to prove that they are not so, and estabilishes a bias againt them from the get-go.

That's not it at all. It is the silly ass Glock-o-phile bullsheet that pops up everytime a conversation begins about how superior Glock is to all other handguns for any and all purposes and how depressingly stupid it would be to carry anything less than a Glock. It is quite evident in this very thread how some feel the Glock somehow never needs maintenance, never malfunctions, never breaks, can withstand punishment a 100 pound stainless steel anvil could not, ect. blah, blah. These same people endlessly spout the party line refusing to acknowledge or listen to any other opinion or facts regarding anything that might upset their belief in the infallible Glock. Most of that is based simply upon what they have read or watched on YouTube with no regard to the credibility of the source and/or in which they have no real personal training or experience. They just keep parroting the same rehearsed lines over and over with no conscious thought applied to seeking a sensible medium. IMHO this is what inspires and fuels much of the anti-Glock argument.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
...The accuracy issue I don't think is a fair comparison. The glock was never intended to be a bullseye gun that the 1911 is. Would a bullseye gun run 100% of the time? Would they feed hollow points? Is it fair to compare a $500 pistol to a $3500 to $5000 pistol?...

No, but I think it's fair to compare a basic 1911 with a Glock. On that count, they would probably be about the same - or at least close enough to not be an issue.

But the Glock would probably cost less to produce, all else being equal. And it would be lighter.

I have no idea which gun would survive the most rounds of similar power fired, but I wonder how that plastic will survive time? Suppose there will be many heirloom Glocks in 50 or 60 years? We won't know for a while yet...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
JWP - I liked this quote from your link...

"The police establishment is now properly devoted to the Glock, and this seems to be a good choice. The Glock is a difficult piece to shoot well, and its safety problem has been solved by issuing it with a trigger that only a gorilla would love, but it has been generally admitted that the police today cannot be trained to shoot well - not so much because of time and ammunition expenditures, but because of motivation. A man will do well only at things he enjoys doing, and today's police departments are reluctant to hire a recruit who enjoys shooting. Thus the Glock's "shootability" is irrelevant. The piece is relatively cheap, it is usually reliable, and the company's service policies are outstanding."
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume V, Number 11.

Thing is though....I don't entirely agree with Mr Cooper. I know at least a few guys who shoot Glocks really well (for practical purposes). A couple of them were still in LE when they first started using the Glock, and did well with it from the start. I can get by pretty well with one myself after a little time for familiarization. Admittedly, I'm talking about "gun guys" here. And on that note, there clearly are some "gun guys" in LEO - probably more so in the rural west.

But his overall point is valid, and a little amusing.

I agree with you 100%, the Glock that I shot was easy to hit with for me, no more so than a 1911 and no worse either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... Its hard enough to get guys to qualify with a glock I can't imagine what would happen if they had a thumb safety to mess with and have to clean thier guns more than once a year.

Dink

That is a weapon problem or a people problem? Because of a lack of dedicated training, laziness, and pure economics coupled with aggressive marketing and hyperbole we now have "Weapons for Dummies - the Glock!" BTW, there are quite a few LE agencies that issue 1911's and do quite well with them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe Mr. Cooper's statement to be 100% true. LEO's can be trained to shoot well. It's up to the Admin. of those agencies to insure that they do.

It's called additional range time, teaching marksmenship and combat tactics. Making LEO's responsible for the results of their range time, good, bad or indifferent.

Good shooters can be rewarded, while poor shooters can be disciplined. But you must insure that the poor shooters, have been taught how to be good shooters.

Manytimes it's the upper Admin. who doesn't want to spend the money or who hasn't been on the street in so long, they don't have a flippen clue as to what's happening.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
... Its hard enough to get guys to qualify with a glock I can't imagine what would happen if they had a thumb safety to mess with and have to clean thier guns more than once a year.

Dink

That is a weapon problem or a people problem? Because of a lack of dedicated training, laziness, and pure economics coupled with aggressive marketing and hyperbole we now have "Weapons for Dummies - the Glock!" BTW, there are quite a few LE agencies that issue 1911's and do quite well with them.

A good read on the LAPD SWAT unit and the 1911 they use

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_161_27/ai_95120539/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
...The thing with Glock, that puts them out of sorts with the more analytical mined, is the advertisement of "perfection". This predisposes such mined individuals to prove that they are not so, and estabilishes a bias againt them from the get-go.

That's not it at all. It is the silly ass Glock-o-phile bullsheet that pops up everytime a conversation begins about how superior Glock is to all other handguns for any and all purposes and how depressingly stupid it would be to carry anything less than a Glock. It is quite evident in this very thread how some feel the Glock somehow never needs maintenance, never malfunctions, never breaks, can withstand punishment a 100 pound stainless steel anvil could not, ect. blah, blah. These same people endlessly spout the party line refusing to acknowledge or listen to any other opinion or facts regarding anything that might upset their belief in the infallible Glock. Most of that is based simply upon what they have read or watched on YouTube with no regard to the credibility of the source and/or in which they have no real personal training or experience. They just keep parroting the same rehearsed lines over and over with no conscious thought applied to seeking a sensible medium. IMHO this is what inspires and fuels much of the anti-Glock argument.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Mr Tonk has about the worst case of this I have seen, but I have heard (on YouTube) that there are treatments now that can cure this.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,225
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.