Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What kind of accuracy should i expect from a colt saa or ruger vaquero or similer saa army revolver without adjustable sights?
What range are they most accurate at "besides across a cowboy poker table range" and how/where do you look at the big front blade when sighting down the barrel?
Do you look for just the tip or do you use the very bottom of the blade to sight it just like a bead?
I "had" a ruger vaquero when they first came out years back in 44magnum..I had to shoot/aim it 12inchs. high to hit the bullseye at 15yards with factory ammo...is this normal kentucky aimimg for these old tyme type guns or can they be made to hit to the tip of the front blade pretty easy without fileing?What has been your experiance?
Thanks for any help or hints

Last edited by Kennesaw; 12/26/10.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
All my USFA and Ruger fixed sight revolvers shoot fairly close to point of aim with my reloads if I put the top of the blade at the top of the rear sight. You might have to tinker with the loads a bit if you want pinpoint accuracy. I carry a .44 Mag SS Vaquero as my tractor revolver and have had no problems hitting my targets.

Last edited by Notropis; 12/26/10.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks,Do any of you cowboy shooter folks actually shoot colt saa army revolvers?
I dont think i have ever seen one used or used & for sale,they are allways new in the box like you are suppose to buy one and just look at it..LOL

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't have any but lots of people in my club do. I have not found any for sale at any of the stores I frequent. I suppose I could order one but have not so far.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got one for sale if your interested.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I am fairly well saturated with single action .45 LC revolvers at the moment but would like to find a nice pair of Colts in 32-20. I know where several SSA's are several hours from here, including two in 32-20, but they are all in very rugged shape.

What do you have for sale Lslite?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kennesaw
Thanks,Do any of you cowboy shooter folks actually shoot colt saa army revolvers?
I dont think i have ever seen one used or used & for sale,they are allways new in the box like you are suppose to buy one and just look at it..LOL
Certainly. I've shot lots of them. I have one made in 1882 and I've shot it lots of times. I don't shoot it anymore as I now believe the old ones should only be shot with black and I don't want to deal with the cleanup on a high-dollar antique. Personally, I wouldn't shoot a 1st Generation regularly, unless it was a real low-value gun. 2nd, 3rd and subsequent generations are a different story. Why not shoot an $1100 SAA when many 1911's will run you that much?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is it OK to fan one like sundance,or is that a big safety No-No?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not only a safety no no, but it will wreck the guts on Your Colt SAA, there cool enough without a fan, grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Certainly. I've shot lots of them. I have one made in 1882 and I've shot it lots of times. I don't shoot it anymore as I now believe the old ones should only be shot with black and I don't want to deal with the cleanup on a high-dollar antique. Personally, I wouldn't shoot a 1st Generation regularly, unless it was a real low-value gun. 2nd, 3rd and subsequent generations are a different story. Why not shoot an $1100 SAA when many 1911's will run you that much?

i've one stamped "U.S." made in 1883 that i used to shoot, but not any more. i'll get pics up one of these days.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is it OK to fan one like sundance,or is that a big safety No-No?
It's probably not that safe but as was said, it will hurt the innards. The main thing it will do is shear off the notches on the hammer. I've done the very thing, so I am not speculating.

If you really want to fan one, have one modified for that very thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought this Colt new in '79. It's chambered in .357 magnum and shoots point of aim with 158 grain SP's. It's taken a deer,couple hogs and quite a few coyotes and fox and the action is still tight and smooth. It has never been "fanned" since I'm pretty sure I couldn't hit a damn thing that way.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
sswweeettt,still looks brand new!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After looking at nib colt prices and no used ones for sale any cheeper,if i play...looks like iam destined to be plain 'ol ruger blackhawk trash..lol

Last edited by Kennesaw; 12/30/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After looking at nib colt prices and no used ones for sale any cheeper,if i play...looks like iam destined to be plain 'ol ruger blackhawk trash..lol

There ain't a thing wrong with a Black Hawk! I've got a couple of the Ruger hand guns,A single-six,.41 mag Black Hawk and a .45 Bisley model Vaquero. There's no doubt in my mind that they can take the roughest treatment I can dish out and they will all outlive me by many years. I expect my grandson's will get a lifetime of service from them when I'm gone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably the best right now is USFA. They are pricey. Uberti makes a good gun. The New Vaquero looks a lot like a Colt SAA. The latter is fairly reasonable.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209096200

I'm guessing that is the cheapest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep your eyes open, I got a very nice ColtSAA for $850. I'm shooting it and having fun with it.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 257wby,
I bought a mint Colt SAA and premiun leather rig for 1000 cash.
The deals are out there.
Gunner

Originally Posted by 257wby
Keep your eyes open, I got a very nice ColtSAA for $850. I'm shooting it and having fun with it.

Last edited by gunner500; 12/31/10.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the encouragement,I'am gonna save up and get a deal on a colt,you talked me into it...LOL grinNow what barrel size ,caliber and finish! grin
Here is a pic of a nice'N

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kennesaw; 01/01/11.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,070
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.