Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dial every last time. I"ve made up to 3 wind corrections in a string at 300 prone as the flags and dust changed so much that I could see it changing.

Favoring is never precise enough for me personally. I'd rather click over and shoot... it takes like 2 or 3 seconds that can be done as you are camming your arm back over after the butt has been seated correctly in your shoulder pocket....

The ONLY time I favor is in coached matches and thats because thats what the coaches really want in one way... and if I'm hearing nothing on the left or favor right I just scooch a hair and listen for the next shot to be called good or center and then use that hold the rest of the string unless the coach calls something else....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Chris,
I've been through all the futzing with post size and aperture size. I'm not a piker; I've been shooting competitively for 10 years. I know what my mistake has been. I'll probably stick with my 52 post. If I change it, it will be smaller. I have the log books & stats showing that my scores are higher with it than with 62s and 72s.

I've always gone with a minimal + diopter. In retrospect, that has been a mistake. It has kept me from cross firing and allowed me to shoot in the 190s out to 300 and at 600, but only at 600 on ranges with good light like Perry. This year I'm getting a Microsight to solve that problem. I'll still be able to read the boards and I'm hoping I'll be able to see the post even at ranges with poor lighting.

It's been tough. My relatively good shooting up close and at the big ranges has masked my problem. When I get to these little ranges tucked back in the hollers is where I tank at 600 and those wide posts only make it worse.

The more I think about this.. you answered your own question.. if its light that changes the view of the post... then testing different apperture sizes is probably the answer. Its almost impossible for the eye to focus better on a smaller post than a larger one, assuming the rear aperture size and distance from it are correct for both post sizes... but this is getting technical...

Also trying to remember you still.... manage to get a leg in 03 possibly at Perry? All I recall is 600 was windy and tricky that day.... I almost bet I've shot with you there somehow... maybe was it Barry Cole or Cold possibly instead of Coleman?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.