Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
It's a folly of epic proportion to expect a bullet... any bullet... to make up for schitty shooting...

How was it "schitty shooting"? I hit her squarely in the shoulder...if the bullet goes straight through it would have came out the other shoulder. I always shoot for the opposite shoulder! Your comments are right on track with Douche.

I don't think his comments are on track with Douche. And, it's too bad you lowered yourself to the name calling. Now you're in a very select group.

You stated in your first post that the deer was heading sraight away, and turned around to look at you. We are all assuming, from your description, that the deer's body was angling away from you. All a shot in the shoulder would have done, is imobilize that shoulder.

Then in another reply, you stated that the shoulder you shot was "square" to you, and in line with the off-side shoulder. Any of us who have shot BG animals "square" in the shoulder, with 120 NBT's, know what the outcome will be.

It would have been more appropriate for the title of this post to read, I'm done taking crappy shot angles on deer.

If you are going to come on a public forum, and make negative comments about a product that has performed so well, for so many, expect to take some heat.

Wow! Some of you people amaze me where did I lower myself to name calling? Maybe in my first post I didn't make it clear but if the bullet would have penetrated fully it would have punched both shoulders! I never made a negative comment about the bullet that wasn't true. I also said it would be a good choice for lower velocity especially in your 7mm-08. So what is your problem that I defended my shot, it was not my shot placements fault but it is that I chose to take it with the 120 BT!

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
If a critter is facing away from you... and quartering hard... then a shot in the shoulder is only going to hit shoulder... the bullet ain't gonna make a hard right turn into the vitals.

Again... if the critter is facing away from you hard... you have to run a shot into the paunch (or even the ham) to angle into the vitals... which you attempted to do... this is never a good shot to take... regardless of bullet/caliber/critter. Now, I understand that it was in a recovery situation... but it's hardly an applicable "test" of a bullet's merit.

As for my first shot the deer turned with its front shoulders squared to me, I have shot many deer through the shoulders and all have died very quickly except one and that is another story but its why I quite using the BT's a long time ago...(I think JB commented on shooting a animal where both shoulders were broke but no vitals were hit, it wasn't me but pretty much same story). My second shot was to dispatch the deer as fast as possible and I had to pick a spot to shoot through the limbs plus shoot offhanded, I tried to aim for the off shoulder by going through the paunch which was the only shot I had but made it and clipped the ham. I never have said that the bullet was terrible or didn't do its job! I pushed it too fast period and it exploded.
I'm not trying to be a prick but you guy's are not perfect even though some may think it and try to talk like it!

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 12/28/10.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I never have said that the bullet was terrible or didn't do its job! I pushed it too fast period and it exploded.

I've seen about a dozen 120's pushed waaaay faster (3500+) than yours vs. critters... the critters always lost in a big way. Never seen a Ballistic Tip "explode"... though I will admit to only have shot them into about two dozen big game animals personally... and seen another couple dozen by other folks.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Glad you like them and that's great. However, last yrs deer was hit in the crease behind the shoulder and it practically gutted the deer, that shot didn't hit the shoulder directly if anything it may have gotten a rib. You couldn't see the bullet entrance since the whole lower side was gone. I can't explain it but it has happened three times. Trust me when I say I would love to use this bullet especially with the groups and speed I get but after the last two deer I just don't have confidence in it at that speed. I have another load with the 120's using RL19 that's just over 3,000/fps and goes 1/2" and would probably work wonderfully but the reason I went to the lighter bullet was for speed. Good luck pushing them over 3,500+ and shooting game. I guess since you have witnessed and killed all those critters your confident in them.
BTW, I shot the 120gr TTSX using the same data and I'm averaging 3,324/fps about 75/fps faster and grouping just under 1". I haven't really had time to work with it much. I will stick to the TTSX if they shoot just because you never know what shot you will have here in TN. I'm over this thread and the critics/experts.

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 12/28/10.

- Michael Friedman

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jamison
Originally Posted by mathman
Let's see, we have a cup and core, tipped but not bonded bullet, starting out at 3250 fps, and hitting meat inside 100 yards.

The expansion is violent.

There's a phrase about Sherlock that fits here. grin

Yeah, this ain't rocket science...They perform beautifully at about 3K and less from my 7-08, but 3250 fps requires a little more substantially constructed bullet.

no worries in 7 x57 either. haven't used them in 7 mag.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like you need to let them get out there just a little further before shooting,kinda like shooting doves with a 12 gauge with a full choke.
Try the 139 grain flatbase bullet from Hornaday they will stay together even a 7mm mag.
I use them in my 7x57 for whitetail.
Don't take some folks so seriously here they have nothing to do but bitch at folks.
Good Hunting

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
this thread is funny

i killed 4 in the last 2 days

120 nbt 3300 fps muz vel

110 dressed doe
107 dressed doe
90 dressed doe
85 dressed doe

35 yds broadside shoulder went 10 complete pass thru .28 in .45 ish out

That's great glad your liking them! After what happened with me I'm done pushing them that fast. I'm very curious about the 35 yd broadside shot through both shoulder's @ 3,300/fps and getting a exit...which deer was it? Why is this thread funny?

it is the two next to each other both shot at 35

entrance was small hole in 284 exit was approx like .45 out

heck i have pushed them to 3600 and killed 2 deer one at 36 and the other was 50 something yds
i have been nothing but pleased with the bullet

i have killed 14 or 15 with the bullet at various speeds

never a problem

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.