Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I am looking to buy my first set of snowshoes. I have decided more or less on the MSR lightning ascents. What I am wondering about is size. I would rather go with the 25" in lieu of the 30" and add tails if necessary. I weigh 215 lbs. now, but with even a small daypack I will be over the 225lbs that the 25" shoes are rated for. I am thinking that the shorter shoe a person could get by with the better for ease of walking. Do the tails really help or are they just a gimmick? Would there be a noticeable difference in trying to manuever with a 25" shoe vs. a 30"?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the bigger the better in deep crud snow. snowshoes are not easy. you work your ass off. basically in bad snow all you are doing is punching a big enough hole to take the next step without having to walk like a stork.

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
I am looking to buy my first set of snowshoes. I have decided more or less on the MSR lightning ascents. What I am wondering about is size. I would rather go with the 25" in lieu of the 30" and add tails if necessary. I weigh 215 lbs. now, but with even a small daypack I will be over the 225lbs that the 25" shoes are rated for. I am thinking that the shorter shoe a person could get by with the better for ease of walking. Do the tails really help or are they just a gimmick? Would there be a noticeable difference in trying to manuever with a 25" shoe vs. a 30"?

I have the MSR shoe you are interested in, in the 25", my weight is also a bit over the rated 225 lbs. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with the 30" variety.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the crampons need to be kept sharp and they need to be strong so that they don't get bent up on the rocks and stumps under the snow.

mercy triumphs over judgement
F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 340boy
I have the MSR shoe you are interested in, in the 25", my weight is also a bit over the rated 225 lbs. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with the 30" variety. [/quote]

Have you seen or tried these?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4085829

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Originally Posted by 340boy
I have the MSR shoe you are interested in, in the 25", my weight is also a bit over the rated 225 lbs. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with the 30" variety.

Have you seen or tried these?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4085829 [/quote]

Foxtrot,
I didn't realize that they made tails for my particular shoe.

Thank you!
smile

BTW, I really like the Ascents. Just like the name suggests, they climb like crazy, I was working my way up an ~40 degree slope just yesterday, and they did very well. I have been running them for three seasons now, and they are holding up well, also.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/03/11. Reason: add text

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my opinion and experience if a 25" shoe isn't floating you in the conditions, a 30" won't either. I'd go with a smaller shoe for maneuverability and lighter weight. Just my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
In my opinion and experience if a 25" shoe isn't floating you in the conditions, a 30" won't either. I'd go with a smaller shoe for maneuverability and lighter weight. Just my opinion.

You may very well be correct, SM, as I am not highly experienced where shoeing is concerned-I have only 3 seasons on snowshoes, total,and the vast majority of that on my 25" MSRs.

James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The option of adding/dropping tails is a pretty nice feature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've ran Sherpa's for over 30 years. I dont know if they are even in business anymore. I've replaced the bindings(rotted off) three times and finally made my own out of leather. The crampon teeth are worn flat but the frame part is still looking pretty good. I've put thousands of hard miles on them and they still work. Maybe a guy could find some on ebay...

Last edited by scenarshooter; 01/04/11.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you snowshoed a bit and now are buying or are you going to buy and start for the first time or only tried them a few times? if the latter, go someplace that rents them and try different sizes and types to see what works best or at all, in different conditions etc.

What you would use to hike down a groomed snowmobile or otherwise packed trail is going to be totally different then if you are going to try to carry gear to camp or hunt back into virgin snow in the woods, etc.

Also scope out what fits best on the boots you want to wear and that differs if you are going to be moving all the time or going somewhere and sitting or remaining still in a hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sherpas are good stuff... from the 70's. Most current stuff is all Chinese made... maybe a bit better, but not much.

My current shoes are Atlas made in the USA ala 1990's...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the MSR's and don't really care for them that much. I don't think the tails work very well, and for your size I think you will be disappointed. They are good for mountaineering stuff when you might not need them that much. Lots of powder I grab something with more float. I'm 170 ish, so I'm a bit lighter. There are some Tubbs ones that are kinda MSR copies but nicer IMO and no tails. The tails don't work.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Last June in Wyoming, packing out(8 crow miles) a black bear on about 5' of spring snowpack...My azz was severly kicked after that packout!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'd highly reccomend Northern Lites. The Backcountry model would be a good choice. Unless you are mountaineering, they are all you need for traction.

Ed T

F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
JB,

First time to try snowshoeing. I can see myself following a trail for a bit then wandering whichever way the wind blows me. I also want to get into winter backpack camping and will use the shoes mostly for this. I will most likely rent whatever REI has to try some out.

Kevin,

I am curious as to why the tails would not work work?
Which model of the Tubbs would you recommend?

Thanks for the replies all, keep them coming. I hope to not end up with a closet full of snowshoes that "didn't work"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I advise getting some poles. falling down is gonna happen, it happens less with pole in hand. I have a 10yo pair of atlas' and a 15-20 yo pair of tubbs.....I am jealous of the new quick bindings, but really, how much can technology change on snowshoes.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also want to get into winter backpack camping and will use the shoes mostly for this.

You don't want to carry your stuff on your back in the snow, you want to pull it in a sled behind you. In most terrain at least.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Foxtrot

The problem with the tails is that they are not centered at all, so you end up with a lot of snowshoe behind you, not around where your weight is coming down, they cause a bit of a forward tilt because of this.

The TUbbs Flex is similar to the MSR but looks like a better design. Those I've talked to have said they are better as well, better side to side traction, better balance

http://tubbssnowshoes.com/snowshoes/mens/flex-nrg-m

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Last June in Wyoming, packing out(8 crow miles) a black bear on about 5' of spring snowpack...My azz was severly kicked after that packout!

Looks like fun to me!
cool

James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.