-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has his own TV show called the Gun Nuts on the Outdoor Channel and was recently praising Kenny Jarret's AR15 on it.

`Bring Enough Gun`
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I haven't paid much attention to him. I met him at the International Varmint Shooters convention back in the 1980's and he was the keynote speaker. He talked about how we need to hide our game and signs of dead animals when we come back from the field.

Ever since then I haven't paid any attention to him. I guess I don't think I need to be a "closet" killer, half the fun of hunting is showing off your trophy...

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty, BTW..... cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JIM 62 - "Well, I hope you did not buy any Ruger products since that time, in protest as well...."

You're "hope" was realized long ago. Haven't bought any Ruger products since Bill Ruger made his "deal with the Devil." Over the years I'd bought seven of his firearms before... but none after.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...an argument with another fellow over whether a certain revolver would shoot through a certain (old) wooden fence post. To prove that it would, he held the (somewhat loose) fence post firmly with his left hand, placed the muzzle of the revolver rather close to the post with his right, and fired. The bullet penetrated not only the post, but also his left hand.

This, from the guy that thought it WOULD penetrate??

Genius... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To those who would castigate a guy ( and extending it to all things him --his company for instances) for a stated opinion or position once held, it's good to know you've never taken the low road, always the high road, have aways been in the right, always had the wind to your back and never have had to change our mind.

I never a couple of years ago would have thought I'd own a black rifle; I was rather scornful of them. Then a young coworker introduced me to them and voil�, i have one. True, it's an ugly, black machine but what a machine it is!

I like DP's writing with his acerbic humor and wit and don't write-off guys that don't hold every position I do.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ben Franklin's maxim about liberty and safety applies to Bill Ruger's sell-out to the leftists.

Schoolchildren across America should be learning this wise quote:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said! I had forgotten that quote.

I too took offense at what Ruger did, but as a small business owner I recognize that you do what you have to do to survive. Do those that hold Bill in offense own a Smith and Wesson? Everyone makes mistakes, it is just when you own a multimillion/billion dollar profitable company they make it to the news media a lot faster. He made a stand and was man enough to back it up. Not many would or can with that much riding on the outcome. For that I still respect him. Besides, I like his firearms too much to hold a grudge too long for a man that do so much good during his lifetime.

The proverb "Do not judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes AND make my payroll" applies here.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With respect to Smith and Wesson, the company is no longer owned by the holding company that sold out to the leftists (it may have changed hands twice since then).

Actions have consequences, and Bill Ruger took a position based on his risk calculations of whether he was risking more by alienating customers and potential customers by selling out to the leftists or taking a principled stand for the 2nd Amendment. Consumers have a right to vote with their dollars against business owners who actively seek to restrict their rights - that's one of the great aspects of a capitalist society.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can somebody remind me what Bill Ruger did that was so horrible? I recall that he said he could live with a ban on hi-cap magazines. Was there anything else? And was that such a terrible statement that we can call it "selling out to leftists?"

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm,_Ruger
quote:-----------
In addition to the furor from the National Rifle Association caused by "The Ruger Letter", Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBC network's Tom Brokaw that angered the NRA further, saying: "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun�" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines�". It has long been Ruger's policy to limit sales of those items to Law Enforcement or Military purchasers.
------------------

I think honest men and women who live near our southern border might have a need for more than 10 rounds in a gun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Razor back,

Yes Smith and Wesson is no longer owned by the previous holding company. Does not mean that they did not screw up just as bad. Similarly, Ruger is no longer owned by Bill Ruger Sr., as he is deceased. Why forgive one and not the other? Doesn't add up.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
From Wikipedia:
In addition to the furor from the National Rifle Association caused by "The Ruger Letter", Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBC network's Tom Brokaw that angered the NRA further, saying: "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun�" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines�". It has long been Ruger's policy to limit sales of those items to Law Enforcement or Military purchasers.
------------------

I think honest men and women who live near our southern border might have a need for more than 10 rounds in a gun.

It amazes me how a firearms maker can also be anti 2nd amendment

The amount of ammo that my magazine holds is for me to decide, not Bill Ruger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And do not the benefits to American gunowners provided by Ruger and their products not amount to anything?

I don't require people to agree with me 100%.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry, but I still don't see how those comments can be expanded into B.R. being "anti 2nd Amendment." He's talking about magazines, not guns. And his opinion about how many rounds a civilian needs are just that: his opinions.

On the same kind of overly critical thinking, does a company owner who says "real guns are blued steel and walnut" become anti 2nd Amendment? It is, after all, an opinion that would limit the kinds of guns his company made.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent points as usual Rocky.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am also sure that in his present condition, Bill Ruger could not care less about what anybody thinks about what he said while alive. It also seems pretty weird to boycott a company due to what somebody who has passed away once said.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
From Wikipedia:
------------------

It amazes me how a firearms maker can also be anti 2nd amendment

The amount of ammo that my magazine holds is for me to decide, not Bill Ruger

Just because Ruger believed in the regulation of certain aspects of gun ownership did not make him "anti second amendment".

That quote above only makes him "anti high capacity magazines for civilian use"...

That may not fit YOUR world view, but it sure as hell did not make the man Anti- Second amendment.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Firearms owners expect people who own firearms companies to back freedom and the 2nd amendment. Standing before your customer base and telling them they are "simple" peons who can not be trusted with high capacity magazines shows the same arrogance the leftist politicians exhibit.

On another note, Cooper Firearms took a hit a couple of years ago because the CEO supported Obama. It means I vote with my dollars, and I won't be buying any Coopers, either. I am reminded every day these past two years that Obama got elected by a bunch of morons.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jim62
[Just because Ruger believed in the regulation of certain aspects of gun ownership did not make him "anti second amendment".

That quote above only makes him "anti high capacity magazines for civilian use"...

That may not fit YOUR world view, but it sure as hell did not make the man Anti- Second amendment.

I certainly disagree, you are either pro 2nd or you are not, there ain't no 1/2 BS. Only 10 round capacity today, single shots tomorrow
Capacity limits is certainly anti 2nd amendment, no other way to slice it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan Cooper was ousted from the Cooper company due to the Obama stuff, shortly after the news became public two years ago. Boycotting Cooper is about as smart as boycotting Ruger because Bill Ruger (who passed away 8-1/2 years ago) made some negative comments about high-capacity magazines on civilian firearms.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

736 members (16gage, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.