Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RichRod grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Can't believe no one has mentioned Bud Wilkinson, or am I dating myself too much?

Check him out.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
RAS2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Forgot to mention him but was on my mind. Wonderful coach with OU and couple good winning streaks too.
Like I said there ave been so many good coaches. Yost folowed by Crisler.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Howard Schnellenberger.

He was hired my the University of Miami to turn around a program that was so bad they were considering dropping the entire program. He didn't recruit much beyond Dade and Boward counties, and in 5 years made them not only National Champions, but set the foundation for incredible success that continues 30 years later.

At Louisville, he built up a program that was losing afterthought to basketball at that institution to a perennially ranked powerhouse whose success continues today.

He wasn't at Oklahoma to accomplish much.

More recently, he has taken over at Florida Atlantic, and brought them from D1-AA to D1, and Bowl appearances in 2007 and 2008.

This guy can build programs and win.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Hated,....but have to include Saben. 2 National Championships at 2 different schools.

can't disagree with that.....unpleasant as it is to admit wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

RAS2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep another good one. Keep them coming.

No one I can think of since him who took a program so low and raised it so high. And won a title along the way.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bobby Bowden went 14 straight years of winning 10 games or more and that was before the 13th regular season game was added.

For comparison, Paterno's longest 10 game or more win streak was 4 years. Bear Bryant's was 5 years. Neither played the same level of competition that Bowden did during those streaks.

How many rings would Bowden have if he hadn't played both UM and UF every year during that run?

[Linked Image]

RAS2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good question. Being a Hurricanes fan though I'm glad they beat him most times.

A good coach and I personally was saddened by the way his coaching days ended. Did so much for that program.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I would say that Paterno is the best of all time.

Were there a Type 4 coaching greatness defined as someone uses the game of football to instill life lessons in young men then I would heartily agree. The life of Joe Paterno has been a lesson to all of us. He has been a great ambassador for the game of college football and is a pretty good game day coach as his record reflects.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Who likes Les? laugh laugh

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bobby was a fine coach, but his son Tommy was a rat the way he left Tulane for Clemson after Tulane's undefeated season in '98. Left before the Liberty Bowl.....where Tulane was coached by their offensive coordinator, who was? Trivia buffs?

Rich Rodriguez.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those were the Shaun King days down at Tulane, right?

Last edited by hamr56; 01/05/11.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing that I look at is the influence a coach has on the future. I will look at Hayden Fry, since I'm an Iowa fan. One thing that made him a great coach was the fact that he had GREAT assistant coaches. Some of his former assistants are; Barry Alverez, Bill Snyder, the Stoops boys, Brett Bilema, Kirk Ferentz and Dan McCarney. That is having an impact on the game! If you look at it like a pedigree, in the next generation back, I believe that Hayden Fry, Lou Holz and Jimmie Johnson were all on Darryl Royal's staff at Arkansas. That is a Huge impact on college football.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by duckcall
One thing that I look at is the influence a coach has on the future. I will look at Hayden Fry, since I'm an Iowa fan. One thing that made him a great coach was the fact that he had GREAT assistant coaches. Some of his former assistants are; Barry Alverez, Bill Snyder, the Stoops boys, Brett Bilema, Kirk Ferentz and Dan McCarney. That is having an impact on the game! If you look at it like a pedigree, in the next generation back, I believe that Hayden Fry, Lou Holz and Jimmie Johnson were all on Darryl Royal's staff at Arkansas. That is a Huge impact on college football.

I don't think JJ and Holtz were at Arky at the same time. JJ would have choked him to death.

[Linked Image]

RAS2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did Daryll coach at Ark? This could be I just am not sure and can't remember. He was another good coach.
Loved his dance with the one that brung ya.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bobby had a son named Terry who was a real weasel,some very shady deals went on in programs where he coached.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Bill Snyder from Kansas State has to be considered one of, if not the best coach ever in college football. He took the worst team in college football and turned them into a national contender. He left, the team crashed, he came back and now their on the way back up. Great talent makes any coach look like a genius. I like the guys who get it done with mediocre talent, and a place that's tough to recruit. Bill Snyder's the man.

+1!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hamr56
Those were the Shaun King days down at Tulane, right?

yes, and I think RR was his QB coach before he was OC.
Sort of the last hurrah for Tulane as football school....they have struggled ever since.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Bobby Bowden went 14 straight years of winning 10 games or more and that was before the 13th regular season game was added.

For comparison, Paterno's longest 10 game or more win streak was 4 years. Bear Bryant's was 5 years. Neither played the same level of competition that Bowden did during those streaks.

How many rings would Bowden have if he hadn't played both UM and UF every year during that run?

Good points Foxbat. Mack Brown is 110-19 @ U of TX since 2000, not including this year. I don't consider him one of the best, therefore I don't think you can go by record alone.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Joe did build a probram from virtually nothing. Problem is, no one is alive to remember.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,671
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.