Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 29 1 2 27 28 29
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
...It does not matter how many nations are using it. What matters is how many people have it issued to them.

Dinkus - in the vast majority of the worlds nations, no one "uses" a handgun (legally) unless it was issued to them.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I would sure hate to have to depend for my life on a handgun handed to me by a perfect stranger without a chance to put it through the ringer with the ammo it's to be loaded with.
You and me both my friend.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I would sure hate to have to depend for my life on a handgun handed to me by a perfect stranger without a chance to put it through the ringer with the ammo it's to be loaded with.

I'm guessing the price goes up, eh? smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

I'm guessing the price goes up, eh? smirk
International travel with a bodyguard is very expensive, and the logistics behind it are a straight up pain in the rear; I really don't like doing it becuse it's so problematic. But there are times it just has to be done, and for those times, if you can afford a bodyguard, you can afford to pay a whole lot more to go international.

Any time you go international one of the biggest expenses is "renting" local LE. Sometimes they�ll let you carry along with them (that�s when you find them just handing you a gun), but often they won�t allow you to carry, and you have to pay for an off duty cop. There are some real advantages to having an off duty cop(s). First off, if by some strange chance there IS shooting, let them do the shooting; WAY less paperwork that way. Cops can make harassing people go away by threatening to arrest. Cops can often grease the skids for the little things you didn�t think about or inconveniences you didn�t even know exist. Depending on where you are, they can save you in bribe money by using their authority to make things happen (and sometimes not). The real down side is, cops are NOT trained properly in executive protection, where most responses to a critical situation from a bodyguard are the exact opposite of what a cop is trained to do. This is why, you as the bodyguard are still right there with your protectee whether you have local talent or not. And sometimes the �local talent� can lack a whole lot of talent and make things a mess, and by doing so, make you look very bad in front of your client, and by that time, it�s too late. I could go on and on, but to your remark; yeah, it gets REALLY expensive.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...It does not matter how many nations are using it. What matters is how many people have it issued to them.

Dinkus - in the vast majority of the worlds nations, no one "uses" a handgun (legally) unless it was issued to them.

Good point. I did not think about that.

I googled the most issued handgun when kevin posted it was the high power. Some where along the lines it said that since 2002 the Beretta 92 series was the most issued handgun in the world.

I would post a link for you but I can't get it to post for some reason.

Dink

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This should make things interesting...

Originally Posted by David B. Kopel
The most common handgun in the United States is the Colt 1911 pistol, and the variants made by many other companies.

David B. Kopel is an associate policy analyst with the Cato Institute and has taught the "Gun Control and Gun Rights" course at New York University Law School. He was part of the team of four lawyers presenting the oral argument to the Supreme Court in Heller.

CATO Institute

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...Some where along the lines it said that since 2002 the Beretta 92 series was the most issued handgun in the world.
While I'm sure the Beretta is out-selling the Hi Power in military and LE circles, if they are insinuating that as of 2002 there are more Beretta 92's out there than Hi Power's, I would have to say your source is probably wrong. I won't take such a statement from ANYONE without hard numbers backing that up. I don't care who wrote it, or how great of a gun writer or whatever; that's a very hard statement to swallow without very strong evidence to back it up. It could be who knows, but I find it highly unlikely that the 92 which has been in production nearly 50 fewer years than the Hi Power, has surpassed the Hi Power. With over 90 nations using the Hi Power, and then consider it was used on all sides of WW II which generated some huge numbers right there. It's just highly unlikely the Beretta could even catch, let alone surpass Hi Power production numbers.

In fact, I really doubt there has ever been a pistol made in greater numbers, and I'm talking since the creation of the pistol. I believe the Hi Power has the greates numbers in the entire history of the handgun. It's kinda, the AK of handguns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by jwp475

Old magazines and or/bad magazines will make any auto unreliable

After the new mags, get new Wolff springs. Then throat the chamber. Then lower the ejection port, then tune the extractor. Then....
BS, that's the internet speaking. Take a bone stock series 70 out there and it will do fine; I've seen that myself time and time again.

Yeah, that's the internet talking. I've never shot a bone stock series 70 1911....... whistle

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard that the AK-47 now outnumbers the 30-30 lever guns in this country? Who knows for sure?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I find that hard to swallow; I'd be surprised if AK's in the US have reached the million mark. Winchester built 7 million model 94's and If I had to guess, Marlin is probably approaching 6 million for the 336. Now not all of those stayed in the US, but an easy 80% did, so that's a LOT of .30-30's.

A company I worked for in the '80's imported a bunch of Chinese AK's; we pretty much put Clayco out of business by under-cutting them by a good 50%. I import stamped a ton of AK's but I doubt it was more than 50,000. Now we have Century churning them out, and I'll bet they haven't sold more than about 100k at the most.

Yeah, there are a lot of them out there, could hit the one million mark, but my guess is the AK is a LONG way from .30-30 numbers.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
had some people over for dinner tonight and the discussion of glocks came up, as in kaboom.
They were at a local range today and it let go.
I don't know a lot of the details, but it was a .40s&w, was most likely a reload, and the case separated.
This led to a LONG discussion of the deficiencies of glocks.
i might add, they said it did destroy the frame

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/22/11.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Case failures will almost always result in the destruction of the frame of most any pistol. The gas will travel in the path of least resistance, which is down the magazine well, which often leads to a bulged frame at the mag well. In the case of the polymer guns, the frames break instead of bulge.

If I had to guess, a catastrophic failure in a Glock .40...90% or better chance it was a reloaded cartridge, and a perhaps a lead bullet also.

With the lack of support in the Glock .40 chamber, the Glock relies heavily on the strength of the case. Reloaded cases are weaker than brand new cases, just the way it is. And if that reloaded case was first fired in a Glock, then it was worked more than if it was fired in another pistol, making the case even weaker.

Glock is the one pistol where when it says don't use reloads, you'd better damn well listen to what the manufacturer says.

If you do listen to the manufacturer, then chances are, you'll enjoy your Glock a long time.

If by chance you do discover the details, we'd love to hear.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lol. Hilarious.

To be clear, IMO (and we all know about opinions..) this thread, or the result, is the EXACT reason the author asked the question. Though not all, some Glock owners make valid, logical points here. Which I am sure they could make for any of their choices. But reading through some of the other "examples" I notice an occasional rise in blood pressure. (As they valiantly defend their 'precious.' smile ) Hilarious.

To those devout Glockers, I say: Good. Buy another Glock. Then the stores would have more room for other handguns. Lol

Last edited by Skivvy; 01/24/11.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Skivvy - gotta give ya kudos for reading the whole thread.....and welcome to the fire!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the 9mm a lot in the Glock, the .45 cal in the 1911, and the .40 in most of nothing! When the Glock was first introduced it was totally unlike anything that went before it. A new paradigm if you will. Revolvers, Glocks, 1911's all have their place. A Double Action then Single Pistol is an abortion. I like the 9mm Glocks because mine have been very reliable and have required little care to make them so.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Kevin, I read several times from credable sources that the new Glock 40 barrels have much better support than the older ones. Can you post some photos of a Glock 40 barrel and another manufactures barrel to show us how much less the Glock barrel supports the case? Do you think it is safe to reload 40s in any semi auto? Thanks!

Marc
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
KuduBull,

I don�t own any Glocks, so I can�t provide you the photos you request. I�d recommend you check out Dean Spier�s website www.thegunzone.com Nose around there and I�m betting you�ll find some comparison photos.

Yeah, I think the .40 is safe to handload, since it�s done every day with great success.

Page 29 of 29 1 2 27 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.