-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My son bought a German Shorthair this past summer and is in need of training videos and a shock collar. Anyone on this forum that has help, it would be greatly appreciated.

He is already birdy, we took him with us this fall and found some Ruffed Grouse...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That looks like a lab to me.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hope you have a better familiarity with big game...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes there are "Black" in color German Shorthair Pointers nowdays. The AKC has accepted this color, along with solid Liver and also for those that don't know, the color called Lemon/White as well. This is a very very rare color indeed.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is a very long tail or is that a shadow? I have seen black GSP's but not all black as that. But then again I am not a GSP fan. No worries I am very familiar with big game.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Creek Hunter......There is a LEO friend of mine in Oaklahoma who has the only BLACK FIELD CHAMPION in the AKC as of present.

Now tails can be what they are I suppose, we crop them at 50% as of about 4 years ago give or take a year. Those who ran in the circuit of field trial events got together and decided it was going to be 50%. So word got around to the various breeders who thought it was a good idea.

I believe it gives a dog balance in the field as well as helping flies etc in the warm months. I also believe the dog looks a hell of a lot better with a 50% tail than a 3 or 4 inch stub.

There are 3 distinct versions of the German Shorthair Pointer!
1. You have the German Breed which is much larger in size and does many things with their dogs. Some males I have seen as much as 80+ pounds and females at 65 pounds.

They you have the AKC Show Dogs (in the ring) for conformation and beauty etc. These breeders try to breed the perfect looking dog with ears just so, heads to match etc. Only their performance in the field is far lacking in comparison to the American German Shorthair Pointer!!! Which can match an English Pointer in speed only not range out as far usually speaking for gun hunters on foot. They also have far better noises and can find birds on the fly going full tilt in the field. Then stop on a dime and give you 8 cents in change once the locate that bird.

Then there are those who sometimes don't crop a tail for some reason........not many mind you.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/06/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tonk
Montana Creek Hunter.... Which can match an English Pointer in speed only not range out as far usually speaking for gun hunters on foot. They also have far better noises and can find birds on the fly going full tilt in the field. Then stop on a dime and give you 8 cents in change once the locate that bird.

I disagree with you on that. But you are entitled to your opinion. If that were to be the case then they would be able to compete with English Setters and Pointers in Field trials and cover dog trials. What is the name of the last GSP to win a National or Cover dog??????????? Having hunted over many GSP's, Brittany's, EP's and ES's I have never seen a dog breed match the nose and natural pointing ablities of an English Pointer or Setter. The French Brittany I would place second to them.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/07/10.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But I am just a bird hunter that likes high heads and poker striaght tails.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The dog is from Nebraska and his name is "MAX"!!!

Now if you think that the German Shorthair Pointer is SLOW best you guess once again. I have a couple that will give your English Pointer a damn good run for the money if you care to put up a dollar or two.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/15/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tonk
The dog is from Nebraska and his name is "MAX"!!!

Now if you think that the German Shorthair Pointer is SLOW best you guess once again. I have a couple that will give your English Pointer a damn good run for the money if you care to put up a dollar or two.

Not sure your reading is so good. Where did I say slow??????? Or were you trying to put words in my mouth???? My pointer is gone now but if he was still with us I would put him up against your GSP for cash. I have a buddy that maybe intrested in taking your money. But he nor I would bet on speed, but on pointing, ablity to find birds, and style we would be willing to bet.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/15/10.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MontanaCreekHunter. Don't get carried away with yourself. There is no difference between Brits, GSP's, Setters, or Pointers in their ability to find birds. All 4 of the major breeds do a wonderful job of finding birds. Individual dogs in any of the breeds can be better then the others.. Style is completely subjective! But I can tell you that Brits and GSP's have dominated the AKC National Gun Dog trials for years, and the #1 dog in NSTRA history is a Brit, so yes, they do very well against EP's and ES's if the judges can get past the short tails. The only reason EP's have dominated at Ames is because of their ability to go full throttle for 3 hours. No other breed can do that. Make it an hour trial, and they are all even. Even the EP's tails sag at the end of long trials

BTW.. Where is your buddy located? Ive got a little 32lb brit who Id love to put up for a little bet on bird finding ability. Better yet, lets do it on a horse and run for 1 or 2 hours.. I don't want to put them on bob's, woodcock, or ruffed grouse either. Lets put them on real birds that take a lot of experience to handle. Pheasants, chuckar, sharpies or chickens. Birds that would be happier running then holding tight. Any dog can pin a bob or woodcock.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He is in TX now hunting. I am sure he would take your bet, not sure he has the time to. He is a busy man with guiding, training, breeding, and whatever else he has going on in life. What was the last GSP to win a Cover Dog???????????? Also no they don't all find birds the same. I have no use for a dog that has a low head. If that is your thing then go for it. For me it is high head high tail.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
What was the last GSP to win a Cover Dog???????????? Also no they don't all find birds the same.

Who cares? Cover dog trials are foot trials, the same as NSTRA, not exactly what seperates good dogs from great dogs. But, if thats your thing, the winningest dog in NSTRA history is a Brittany. If EP's and ES's are so much better at finding birds, then why is a Brit the #1 all time dog in a sport dominated by ES's and EP's in numbers?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like I said if you like em run em. I had a Brit but they aren't going to compete with any EP I have ever owned. Also I like a dog with high head and tail. Some Brits hunt high head but I wouldn't say most do. Run what works for you. Also Cover dog and NSTRA are not the same. And again you can't name me one. We can go back and forth forever on this until you can name one case closed.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Shrapnel, sorry your thread was hijacked.

I can't recommend any videos, but I have enjoyed the Dave Walker method. His book is located here http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/the-bird-dog-training-manual.htm, and I've used it with decent success. My dog would be better if I put her on more birds! Walker's business focuses mainly on brittanys, but you can use his method with any biddable pointing breed.

Walker's method is silent, which I really enjoy. He has some videos too, but I haven't seen them. ALWAYS start with a check cord, and work your way up to the collar on LOW stimulation.

Getting some advice from a professional is a great idea too. Find somebody in your area willing to spend an afternoon with you giving you some pointers on getting your puppy started with some fundamentals. Money well spent, and most professional trainers/breeders will talk to you at length if you give them a call. You'll get there; just be consistent and keep the sessions short and positive.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions - I don't know a ton, but I know what has worked with my 3 y/p shorthair so far.

Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I had a Brit but they aren't going to compete with any EP I have ever owned.

Well then you better start running trials. You will have NSTRA and AKC all to yourself with you EP's and ES's... You seem to think that Cover Dog Trials are what defines a good bird dog. Trust me, they aren't. Whats more impressive? A dog who wins a small trial put on by a small group of people in a very specific section of the country against 1 or 2 types of birds, or a dog who wins a big trial put on by the biggest kennel club in the nation with dogs from all pointing breeds, all parts of the country, with all types of upland game birds? Thats what AF and AKC field trials are. Speaking of that. Here's a link to all the winners at AKC's annual AKC Pointing Breed Gun Dog Championship. You will notice that Brits and GSP's do just fine. You will also notice a lack of ES's and EP's with consitent wins, especially in the retrieveing stakes (where GSP's dominate, a EP has never won)........ Since no Brit or GSP's could ever keep up with any EP's youve ever had, you better start campaining, because you have the best gun dogs in the nation!

http://www.akc.org/events/field_trials/pointing_breeds/gun_dog_championships/wall_of_fame.cfm

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BTW.. Back to the original post. Look at "The Perfect Start/Perfect Finish" video series. They are probably the best videos you can get for easy training of a bird dog.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Shrapnel, if you still need a training collar, I have one I will sell pretty cheap.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/27/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Boy O boy we love our dogs, talking about a man's dog is fighting words.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.