Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It that does not bring tears to your eyes the I would have no respect for you. A sadness that is like a dark cloud hang over me. This is so wrong. I It is not political. No one deserved this. It is a loose situation for every living American.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Oh, Godspeed , little one,.....and may he hold your family and friends in his arms.

Amen.

Yes, A M E N.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know anything about em' T., honest.

That's what the Arizona Star's got up.....

GTC

Says so right on the slide but I first noticed the barrel was too long for a 19, made me look closer at the picture.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
It that does not bring tears to your eyes the I would have no respect for you. A sadness that is like a dark cloud hang over me. This is so wrong. I It is not political. No one deserved this. It is a loose situation for every living American.

Yeah, I can't look at or read that without.......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Mountain View High School/Handout SALES

Jared L. Loughner, identified by U.S. federal law enforcement officials as the suspected gunman in the shooting of U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and others in Tucson on Saturday, is seen in this undated high school yearbook photo from the 2006 Mountain View High School yearbook obtained from a classmate of Loughner's in Tucson, Arizona on January 8, 2011.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I am trying to distract myself me thinks. That is just too much for the mind to wrap around itself.

Old cat turd!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh, Godspeed , little one,.....and may he hold your family and friends in his arms.

[Linked Image]

Link: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_28c8e686-1ca6-5b3e-ab85-965bd22c68c0.html

CHRISTINA-TAYLOR GREEN

With a birthday on 9/11, she was patriotic, interested in politics

Born, died between 2 tragedies

Stephanie Innes Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:00 am

Aspiring politician Christina-Taylor Green was born in the midst of tragedy on Sept. 11, 2001, and died Saturday morning while trying to meet Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

The strong-willed 9-year-old third-grader had gone to meet Giffords with a neighbor when she was shot. She died later at University Medical Center.

Her neighbor was shot four times and was recovering from surgery Saturday evening.

Christina-Taylor had just been elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School and had been interested in politics from a young age, her father, John Green, said Saturday night.

"She was a good speaker. I could have easily seen her as a politician," her father said.

The brown-eyed athletic girl had one sibling, an 11-year-old brother named Dallas, and the two loved to go swimming together.

She'd already told her parents she wanted to attend Penn State one day and have a career that involved helping those less fortunate than her.

She also loved animals and was a passionate dancer who loved ballet, hip-hop, jazz and gymnastics and was the only girl on her Canyon del Oro Little League baseball team, "The Pirates." She played second base.

Christina-Taylor came from a family of baseball players. Her grandfather, former major-league pitcher Dallas Green, was team manager for the Philadelphia Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980.

"She kept up with everyone, she was a strong girl, a very good athlete and a strong swimmer," said her mother, Roxanna Green. "She was interested in everything. She got a guitar for Christmas so her next thing was learning to play guitar."

Christina-Taylor also enjoyed singing in a church choir at St. Odilia's Catholic Church, where she had received her first Holy Communion in the spring.

"'Let the children come to me,' Jesus said (Matthew 19:14). Christina is with Him," Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas wrote in a letter to parishioners sent from Jordan, where he is attending a bishops' meeting.

Already aware of inequalities in the world around her, Christina-Taylor often repeated the same phrase to her mother: "We are so blessed. We have the best life."

Her birth date no doubt helped inspire Christina-Taylor's interest in politics, Roxanna Green said. She was one of 50 9/11 babies featured in a book called "Faces of Hope."

"She was born back east and Sept. 11 affected everyone there, and Christina-Taylor was always very aware of it. She was very patriotic and wearing red, white and blue was really special to her," her mother said.

"She was all about helping people, and being involved. It's so tragic. She went to learn today and then someone with so much hatred in their heart took the lives of innocent people."

Contact reporter Stephanie Innes at sinnesazstarnet.com or 573-4134.

God be with her and her family

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The "Dupnik Follies" expand their notoriety.This man is an absolute DISGRACE

LOTS of video in the link.

GTC

Link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47293.html

Liberal Ariz. sheriff Clarence Dupnik sees cause of violence

Clarence Dupnik voiced what many on the left were thinking, but hadn�t yet said. | AP Photo Close
By ANDY BARR | 1/9/11 12:47 AM EST

By declaring Arizona a �mecca for racism and bigotry� and blaming heated rhetoric on the right for the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik gave voice to those looking for a cause of Saturday�s violence.

With Democratic party leaders for the most part showing restraint in their comments following the shootings, Dupnik expressed at a news conference Saturday night in Tucson what many liberals were thinking, but hadn�t yet said.

�Let me say one thing, because people tend to pooh-pooh this business about all the vitriol that we hear inflaming the American public by people who make a living off of doing that,� the sheriff said during a press conference. �That may be free speech, but it�s not without consequences.�

During an interview earlier in the day that aired on MSNBC via local NBC affiliate KPNX, Dupnik declared that �it�s time that this country take a little introspective look at the crap that comes out on radio and TV.�

The seven-term sheriff and Bisbee native is well known in Arizona for speaking his mind and has established himself as one of the leading liberal voices in a state that boasts only a handful.

Dupnik, 73, supported Giffords during her campaigns for congress and attracted headlines last spring as one of the most prominent opponents of the state�s controversial immigration law, S.B. 1070, which was signed by GOP Gov. Jan Brewer. Though the policy has been blocked from implementation by a federal court order, Dupnik vowed that he wouldn�t enforce the �racist� law.

On any other day, a warning from a county sheriff � even one known to the national media � to cool overheated talk show chatter wouldn�t have moved the needle much. But with the political class at a total loss over the tragedy and the left aching from the attack on one of their own, Dupnik�s comments have carried outsized weight in driving Saturday�s dialogue.

MSNBC�s Keith Olbermann called Dupnik�s word �extraordinary� in a special Saturday night edition of �Countdown,� and highlighted the sheriff�s media criticism on Twitter.

In a special comment later in the program, Olbermann linked the incident to Giffords being identified last year as one of former Alaska GOP Gov. Sarah Palin�s 20 �targets� for the November election, identified by a website showing crosshairs around 20 Democratic districts.

�This morning in Arizona, this age in which this country would accept �targeting� of political opponents and putting bullseyes over their faces and of the dangerous blurring between political rallies and gun shows, ended,� the liberal host said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47293.html#ixzz1AZcev6Z1

upnik�s comments were also spotlighted in a series of posts at the top of the liberal Daily Kos.

�Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik isn�t afraid to point the finger at who is culpable,� wrote one Daily Kos blogger.

Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com Listen

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) echoed Dupnik�s sentiments in an interview with the Huffington Post.

�The climate has gotten so toxic in our political discourse, setting up for this kind of reaction for too long. It�s unfortunate to say that. I hate to say that,� Grijalva said. �Anybody who contributed to feeding this monster had better step back and realize they�re threatening our form of government.�

Dupnik�s recognition in local political circles as an outspoken Democrat may end up backfiring for those on the left spotlighting his comments in attempts to pin conservatives with inciting violence.

Several on the right have accused Dupnik and those spotlighting his remarks of exploiting the tragedy for political gain. And local conservatives are quickly spinning his comments as those of a partisan.

�For out of state folks perplexed by Pima County Sherriff comments: Pima County is to AZ as Austin is to TX. Dense Dem area comparatively,� tweeted Pamela Gorman, a conservative activist in Phoenix who ran in a primary campaign against Rep. Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.).

And a blogger for the Tucson Citizen identified the �Democrat County Sheriff� in a post attacking Dupnik�s �outrageous� use of the incident for �political reasons.�

The blame of overheated rhetoric on the right incensed leading conservatives, many of which offered statements of support for the congresswoman currently recovering from surgery in an Arizona hospital.

�The left is using this tragedy to score political points. Rep. Giffords was on Gov. Palin�s target list for defeat this past November. The left claims Gov. Palin has blood on her hands. So does the tea party movement,� wrote RedState founder Erick Erickson on his blog. �Let�s not let the left, yet again, spin this against the tea party movement, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin inciting violence. That�s both a profound lie and just another, though lesser, bit of evil.�

�Politicizing this is repulsive,� added Rebecca Mansour, a spokeswoman for Palin, in a tweet.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This got lost in the septic sludge that our local Anarch-Holes inflicted on the other thread, .....

wort the re-boot

Gabby in happier times.

GTC

Link: http://americanpatrol.com/WMV/GiffordsTWDouglas.wmv

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110109/ap_on_re_us/us_congresswoman_shot

..."Investigators said they carried out a search warrant at Jared Loughner's home and seized an envelope from a safe with messages such as "I planned ahead," "My assassination" and the name "Giffords" next to what appears to be the man's signature. He allegedly purchased the Glock pistol used in the attack in November at Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson.

Court documents also show that Loughner had contact with Giffords in the past. Other evidence included a letter addressed to him from Giffords' congressional stationery in which she thanked him for attending a "Congress on your Corner" event at a mall in Tucson in 2007.

Heather Williams, the first assistant federal public defender in Arizona, says the 22-year-old suspect doesn't yet have a lawyer, but that her office is working to get one appointed. Williams' office is asking for an outside attorney because one of those killed was U.S. District Judge John M. Roll."...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's nuts out there right now. Some acquaintances of ours are on their facebook pages blaming Palin for the shooting. All because a set of crosshairs were used for each of the targeted democrats in the last election and these idiots believe the crap out there on the blogs. One has even gone so far as to "say" she's sent a warning to the one other person on that list who actually got re-elected. Apparently they think that person is next.

Gawd, the stupidity is simply boggling.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's completely apechit here, too, Alaska.

Panic fueled by ignorance, incited by fear mongers, and being eyed for it's value by the corrupt.

John Kyl is REALLY pizzed at Dupnik, I am told.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "Dupnik Follies" expand their notoriety.This man is an absolute DISGRACE

LOTS of video in the link.

GTC

Link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47293.html

Liberal Ariz. sheriff Clarence Dupnik sees cause of violence

Clarence Dupnik voiced what many on the left were thinking, but hadn�t yet said. | AP Photo Close
By ANDY BARR | 1/9/11 12:47 AM EST

By declaring Arizona a �mecca for racism and bigotry� and blaming heated rhetoric on the right for the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik gave voice to those looking for a cause of Saturday�s violence.

With Democratic party leaders for the most part showing restraint in their comments following the shootings, Dupnik expressed at a news conference Saturday night in Tucson what many liberals were thinking, but hadn�t yet said.

�Let me say one thing, because people tend to pooh-pooh this business about all the vitriol that we hear inflaming the American public by people who make a living off of doing that,� the sheriff said during a press conference. �That may be free speech, but it�s not without consequences.�

During an interview earlier in the day that aired on MSNBC via local NBC affiliate KPNX, Dupnik declared that �it�s time that this country take a little introspective look at the crap that comes out on radio and TV.�

The seven-term sheriff and Bisbee native is well known in Arizona for speaking his mind and has established himself as one of the leading liberal voices in a state that boasts only a handful.

Dupnik, 73, supported Giffords during her campaigns for congress and attracted headlines last spring as one of the most prominent opponents of the state�s controversial immigration law, S.B. 1070, which was signed by GOP Gov. Jan Brewer. Though the policy has been blocked from implementation by a federal court order, Dupnik vowed that he wouldn�t enforce the �racist� law.

On any other day, a warning from a county sheriff � even one known to the national media � to cool overheated talk show chatter wouldn�t have moved the needle much. But with the political class at a total loss over the tragedy and the left aching from the attack on one of their own, Dupnik�s comments have carried outsized weight in driving Saturday�s dialogue.

MSNBC�s Keith Olbermann called Dupnik�s word �extraordinary� in a special Saturday night edition of �Countdown,� and highlighted the sheriff�s media criticism on Twitter.

In a special comment later in the program, Olbermann linked the incident to Giffords being identified last year as one of former Alaska GOP Gov. Sarah Palin�s 20 �targets� for the November election, identified by a website showing crosshairs around 20 Democratic districts.

�This morning in Arizona, this age in which this country would accept �targeting� of political opponents and putting bullseyes over their faces and of the dangerous blurring between political rallies and gun shows, ended,� the liberal host said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47293.html#ixzz1AZcev6Z1

upnik�s comments were also spotlighted in a series of posts at the top of the liberal Daily Kos.

�Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik isn�t afraid to point the finger at who is culpable,� wrote one Daily Kos blogger.

Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com Listen

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) echoed Dupnik�s sentiments in an interview with the Huffington Post.

�The climate has gotten so toxic in our political discourse, setting up for this kind of reaction for too long. It�s unfortunate to say that. I hate to say that,� Grijalva said. �Anybody who contributed to feeding this monster had better step back and realize they�re threatening our form of government.�

Dupnik�s recognition in local political circles as an outspoken Democrat may end up backfiring for those on the left spotlighting his comments in attempts to pin conservatives with inciting violence.

Several on the right have accused Dupnik and those spotlighting his remarks of exploiting the tragedy for political gain. And local conservatives are quickly spinning his comments as those of a partisan.

�For out of state folks perplexed by Pima County Sherriff comments: Pima County is to AZ as Austin is to TX. Dense Dem area comparatively,� tweeted Pamela Gorman, a conservative activist in Phoenix who ran in a primary campaign against Rep. Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.).

And a blogger for the Tucson Citizen identified the �Democrat County Sheriff� in a post attacking Dupnik�s �outrageous� use of the incident for �political reasons.�

The blame of overheated rhetoric on the right incensed leading conservatives, many of which offered statements of support for the congresswoman currently recovering from surgery in an Arizona hospital.

�The left is using this tragedy to score political points. Rep. Giffords was on Gov. Palin�s target list for defeat this past November. The left claims Gov. Palin has blood on her hands. So does the tea party movement,� wrote RedState founder Erick Erickson on his blog. �Let�s not let the left, yet again, spin this against the tea party movement, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin inciting violence. That�s both a profound lie and just another, though lesser, bit of evil.�

�Politicizing this is repulsive,� added Rebecca Mansour, a spokeswoman for Palin, in a tweet.

He was dumb enough to be interviewed by Megyn Kelly just recently . ( within the last hour ou two )
azzhole had no back up for the crap he spewed while making the " official press conference "
Official statements and soap box have no right being on the same platform .

Last edited by M1894; 01/09/11.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Judge John McCarthy Roll,....

Video Link: http://www.fox11az.com/video?id=113138854&sec=546642

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

'Giffords story: A lesson in leaping to conclusions'

Or in more basic terms, A look at a Charlie Foxtrot.

GTC

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_en_tv/us_congresswoman_shot_media

y DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer � 1 hr 8 mins ago

PASADENA, Calif. � The rapidly replicated false report that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had died after being shot in the head provided media outlets another lesson this weekend in the danger of leaping to conclusions.

NPR News' executive editor apologized Sunday to Giffords' family for the false report. That story came only an hour after NPR scored a significant scoop in reporting on Saturday's shooting in Tucson, Ariz., itself.

Media organizations also faced scrutiny for how they speculated on potential causes of a gunman's rampage in a shopping center where Giffords was meeting with constituents.

National Public Radio had reported on its 2 p.m. EST newscast � and in subsequent e-mail alerts to subscribers � that Giffords had died from her injury when, in fact, she was still in surgery. Dick Meyer, executive editor of NPR News, said the information came from two different government sources, including one in the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

"This was a serious and grave error," Meyers said in a note posted on NPR's website Sunday. He said that on behalf of NPR News, "I apologize for this mistake to the family of Rep. Giffords, to the families of everyone affected by the shootings, to our listeners and to our readers."

Click image to see scenes from the shooting in Arizona

AFP/Getty Images/John Moore

Mistakes in the rush to gather facts in a fast-breaking story aren't new. Yet in today's media environment, amplified by the speed and viral nature of social media, they're likely to spread farther and faster than ever before.

Within a half hour, all three cable news networks had bannered the headline of Giffords' supposed death. Reuters cited NPR in a story that appeared on the front of the Yahoo! News site. CBS broke into the coverage of a women's college basketball game to report that Giffords had died. NBC had a similar special report.

ABC was more cautious about 15 minutes after the others, noting reports that she had died yet quoting her communications director that she was still alive. The Associated Press, unsatisfied that the reports of Giffords' death were accurate, did not make a mistaken report.

Ironically, NPR's own work earlier in the day may have given its report more weight than it deserved. NPR appeared to be the first national news outlet to report on the shooting after the wife of Arizona Public Media News Director Pete Michaels witnessed the scene and called her husband.

Fox News Channel's Bret Baier said on the air at 2:18 p.m. that NPR and one of his own sources reported that Giffords was dead. Fox's screen carried the headline: "AZ Rep. Giffords Has Died After Being Shot in the Head." Another Fox reporter said that the shooting suspect had himself been shot before being taken into custody, and there's been no evidence of that happening.

CNN went with NPR's report, and Martin Savidge quickly added that CNN had confirmed the "death" as well.

Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather said that if he were covering the story in the 1970s and 1980s, he would not likely have gone with the NPR report. But if he were in the anchor chair in 2011, he probably would have.

"The pressure is immediate and almost crushing on you and your news organization to match that," he said. "Mostly what you hear are sets all over the world going to your competition and computers, handheld or otherwise, going to a different site."

NPR's reputation as a news organization would carry weight, particularly since television news organization knew NPR was more likely to have people close to the scene.

He recalled that following the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan in 1981, there were reports � even from the White House � that press secretary James Brady had died after being shot in the head. Yet CBS reporter Phil Jones urged restraint, saying he had other sources that didn't trust that report, and CBS held back, he said.

Now the reporting ranks have been thinned to the point that many news organizations are, in effect, relying on each other.

"Most news sites, whether they be on the Internet, television, radio or print, have been hollowed out to the point where they are news packagers and not news gatherers," Rather said.

Paul Levinson, chairman of the communications and media studies department at Fordham University, was more forgiving and noted that the erroneous reports on Giffords' death were quickly updated.

"We can't get away from the fact that reporters are human beings," Levinson said. "They do their best. There will be errors at institutions like this."

Commentators were quick to weigh in. MSNBC's Keith Olbermann said in an editorial late Saturday that politicians and talk show personalities � himself included � needed to swear off any kind of violent imagery so as not to incite anybody into acts like the Giffords shooting. Those who don't, he said, should be judged silently complicit of the act.

News organizations were closely watched in how they offered context to the events. The conservative watchdog publication Newsbusters, for example, faulted the AP for noting that Giffords' district was targeted by supporters of Sarah Palin while not discussing left-wing commentators' criticism of Democrats who did not support Nancy Pelosi for minority leader.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know anything about em' T., honest.

That's what the Arizona Star's got up.....
GTC

Good enuff to make your points. (THANKS!)

Please continue to keep us informed, along with your "local perspectives."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The spinning begins.....e.g. "a heated debate over gun control"

GTC

Sun Jan 9, 1:51 pm ET
Giffords shooting sparks gun law debate

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo.../giffords-shooting-sparks-gun-law-debate

Yesterday's shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and 19 other people at a Tucson public event is sparking a heated debate over gun control, as information emerges about how the suspect in the attack obtained a weapon.

The suspect, Jared Loughner, purchased his 9mm handgun legally at a sport store about a month before the shooting, the Washington Post has reported. That has some suggesting that the state's gun laws -- among the most lenient in the country -- are in part to blame for the shooting, which killed six people, including a federal judge and a 9-year-old child, while injuring 14.

"Gun laws have to be examined," Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.), the chair of Congress's Progressive Caucus, said on NBC's "Meet the Press" this morning.

Earlier this year, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed a bill that made Arizona became only the third state -- after Alaska and Vermont -- to make it legal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Brewer's predecessor as governor, Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, had vetoed similar efforts in the past. Since taking office in 2009, Brewer has also signed a bill allowing loaded guns in bars and restaurants, and another bill that prohibits property owners from banning guns from parking areas, as long as the weapons are kept locked in vehicles.

But Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kent.) said he didn't think the concealed weapon law was relevant. "I don't think that that plays into this at all," Paul, a gun-rights supporter, said on Fox News Sunday. "Really, I think they're unrelated."

Loughner purchased a 9mm Glock handgun at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson on November 30th, the Post has reported. That would have required a mandatory background check on Loughner to ensure he was eligible to make the purchase. Federal law prohibits the sale of firearms to people who have been convicted of a felony (unless the person's rights have been restored by the state) as well as to anyone who has been "adjudicated as a mental defective," or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.

But Loughner likely would have passed the check, even though he had been denied further attendance at Pima Community College until a physician could ensure he did not pose a threat to himself or others there. He reportedly had an arrest record, and Pima Community officials had suspended him after he'd posted a Youtube video claiming that the school acted in violation of the U.S. Constitution. But he had no criminal record, and although his online postings clearly indicate a troubled young man, no evidence has yet emerged that he had been declared mentally ill in the sight of the law--the key benchmark that would have denied him the right to purchase a gun.

Law enforcement sources told CBS News that the gun used in the shooting could hold about 30 or more rounds, two or three times a normal magazine capacity. The federal assault weapons ban, put in place under the Clinton administration, prohibited magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. The ban expired under the Bush administration and has not been renewed.

Former White House press secretary Jim Brady and his wife Sarah issued a statement calling for America to become "a place where gun violence doesn't happen so easily and destroy so many." Brady was shot and nearly killed during the 1981 assassination attempt of President Reagan. Since then, he has become a leading gun-control advocate.

Giffords herself is a staunch supporter of gun rights. She welcomed a 2008 Supreme Court decision that struck down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban. "As a gun owner, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment," Giffords said in a statement at the time. "This is a common-sense decision that reaffirms the Constitutional right - and Arizona tradition - of owning firearms."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
This attack happened within a few miles of my parents house, whre I was at at the time of the attack. I have been to that Safeway many times. I only wish I would have been at that safeway at the time of attack so that I could do something to help.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
"Not Cooperating"

Link: Can't get one at this time

Sheriff says Ariz. rampage suspect not cooperating
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

This March 2010 photo shows a man identified as Jared L. Loughner at the 2010 Tucson Festival of Books in Tucson, Ariz. The Arizona Daily Star, a fest AP � This March 2010 photo shows a man identified as Jared L. Loughner at the 2010 Tucson Festival of Books �

* Ariz. mourns for shooting rampage victims Slideshow:Ariz. mourns for shooting rampage victims
* Natl. moment of silence to remember Ariz victims Play Video Video:Natl. moment of silence to remember Ariz victims AP
* Raw Video: Shooting victims remembered at vigil Play Video Video:Raw Video: Shooting victims remembered at vigil AP

By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Jacques Billeaud, Associated Press � 1 hr 2 mins ago

PHOENIX � A 22-year-old man described as a social outcast with wild beliefs steeped in mistrust faces a federal court hearing on charges he tried to assassinate Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in a Tucson shooting rampage that left six people dead.

Public defenders are asking that the attorney who defended Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Timothy McVeigh and "Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski defend Jared Loughner, who makes his first court appearance Monday at 2 p.m. MST (4 p.m. EST).

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Loughner was not cooperating and told ABC's "Good Morning America" the suspect had said "not a word" to investigators. Dupnik said authorities were all but certain Loughner acted alone, saying "he's a typical troubled individual who's a loner."

The hearing in Phoenix comes just a few hours after President Barack Obama leads a shocked and saddened nation in a moment of silence for the victims and their families. Obama will observe the moment of silence at 11 a.m. EST with White House staff on the South Lawn.

As authorities filed the charges against Loughner Sunday, they alleged he scrawled on an envelope the words "my assassination" and "Giffords" sometime before he took a cab to a shopping center where the congresswoman was meeting with constituents Saturday morning.

Click image to see scenes from the shooting in Arizona

AFP/Getty Images/Kevin C. Cox

A federal judge, a congressional aide and a young girl were among the six people killed, while Giffords and 13 others were injured in the bursts of gunfire outside a Tucson supermarket.

Giffords, 40, lay in intensive care at a Tucson hospital, after being shot in the head at close range. Doctors said she had responded repeatedly to commands to stick out her two fingers, giving them hope she may survive.

Neurosurgeon De. Michael LeMole of Tucson's University Medical Center, appearing Monday on CBS's "The Early Show," said, "the best way to describe her this morning is that she's holding her own."
Related Articles

* Congresswoman's intern stanched blood from gunshot
* Giffords shooting sparks gun law debate
* D.C. at a standstill in wake of shooting
* Internet manifesto may be linked to Arizona shooter
* Thumbnail sketches of victims in Tucson shooting
* News outlets follow Loughner�s social media trail

Map

LeMole said he removed a portion of her skull in order to perform the surgery but likely will replace it at some point.

"We don't close the book on recovery for years," he said, "so it'll take as long as it takes. I think the real question will be how long it will take before she's out of the woods."

About 200 people gathered outside Giffords' Tucson office Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil. Earlier in the day, people crammed the synagogue where Giffords has been a member, as well as the Mountain Avenue Church of Christ, which lost one member in the attack and saw another one wounded.

"I don't know how to grieve. This morning I don't have the magic pill, I don't have the Scripture... I can't wrap my head around this," said the church's Rev. Mike Nowak, his strong preacher's voice wavering.

Authorities weren't saying late Sunday where Loughner was being held, and officials were working to appoint an attorney for him. Heather Williams, the first assistant federal public defender in Arizona, said they're asking that San Diego attorney Judy Clarke be appointed.

Clarke, a former federal public defender in San Diego and Spokane, Wash., served on teams that defended McVeigh, Kaczynski and Susan Smith, a South Carolina woman who drowned her two sons in 1994.

Loughner is charged with one count of attempted assassination of a member of Congress, two counts of killing an employee of the federal government and two counts of attempting to kill a federal employee. More charges are expected.

Discoveries at Loughner's home in southern Arizona, where he lived with his parents in a middle-class neighborhood lined with desert landscaping and palm trees, have provided few answers to what motivated him.

Court papers filed with the charges said he had previous contact with Giffords. The documents said he had received a letter from the Democratic lawmaker in which she thanked him for attending a "Congress on your Corner" event at a mall in Tucson in 2007.

Investigators carrying out a search warrant at his parents' home in a middle-class neighborhood found an envelope in a safe with the words "I planned ahead," "My assassination" and the name "Giffords" next to what appears to be his signature.

Neighbors said Loughner kept to himself and was often seen walking his dog, almost always wearing a hooded sweat shirt and listening to his iPod.

Comments from friends and former classmates bolstered by Loughner's own Internet postings have painted a picture of a social outcast with almost indecipherable beliefs steeped in mistrust and paranoia.

"If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem," he wrote Dec. 15 in a wide-ranging posting.

Two high school friends said they had fallen out of touch with Loughner and last spoke to him around March, when one of them was going to set up some bottles in the desert for target practice and Loughner suggested he might come along. It was unusual � Loughner hadn't expressed an interest in guns before � and his increasingly confrontational behavior was pushing them apart. He would send bizarre text messages, but also break off contact for weeks on end.

"We just started getting sketched out about him," the friend said.

Around the same time, Loughner's behavior also began to worry officials at Pima Community College, where Loughner began attending classes in 2005, the school said in a release.

Between February and September, Loughner "had five contacts with PCC police for classroom and library disruptions," the statement said. He was suspended in September after college police discovered a YouTube video in which Loughner claimed the college was illegal according to the U.S. Constitution.

He withdrew voluntarily the following month, and was told he could return only if, among other things, a mental health professional agreed he did not present a danger, the school said.

Police said he purchased the Glock pistol used in the attack at Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson in November.

An official familiar with the shooting investigation said Sunday that local authorities were looking at a possible connection between Loughner and an online group known for white supremacist, anti-immigrant rhetoric.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation, said local authorities were examining the American Renaissance website for possible motives.

The group's leaders said in a posting on their website that Loughner never subscribed to their magazine, registered for any of the group's conferences or visited their Internet site.

Giffords, a conservative Democrat re-elected in November, faced threats and heckling over her support for immigration reform and the health care overhaul. Her office was vandalized the day the House approved the landmark health care measure.

It was not clear whether those issues motivated the shooter to fire on the crowd gathered to meet Giffords.

The six killed included U.S. District Judge John Roll, 63, and 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green, who was born on Sept. 11, 2001, and was featured in a book called "Faces of Hope" that chronicled one baby from each state born on the day terrorists killed nearly 3,000 people.

The author, Christine Naman, said: "Tragedy seems to have happened again."

Green was recently elected as a student council member and went to the morning's event because of her interest in government.

Others killed were Giffords aide Gabe Zimmerman, 30; Dorothy Morris, 76; Dorwin Stoddard, 76; and Phyllis Schneck, 79.

___

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.