Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Isaac,
Take your own guns. Not all camp guns are created equal, and the renter may not be up to your standards. A known rifle is essential. An unknown rifle with issues could sabotage the hunt. It is not worth the chance.
You also will get to hold your rifle and remember the hunts you made with it, and be able to pass this rifles history along within your family. Which sounds better? (A)This is my 338 Fed that I took that ancient kudu bull and Mr. Spots with when I hunted Africa or (B) This is my new in box 338 Fed.
Use a service to facilitate your guns. Yes you can do it on your own but it is not worth it.

GB1

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I appreciate all the advice. I put my outfitter on notice and will speak to someone who professionally deals in rifle transfers,storage and attendant paperwork today.

Received a couple of generous PMs already.

If I use my rifles,it takes away some of my excuses!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by tim416
I would opt for the .338. It's more than adequate and it sounds like you enjoy shooting it.

You said you were overnighting in Jo'burg. This will mean declaring your firearms and taking them with you. I would pay the $100.00 for the Gun assistance in Jo'burg. Air2000 or Gracy Travel offers this service. This will take care of that end.

If you are staying at a hotel in Cape Town call to see if they have a hotel safe room that they will store your firearms in for the duration of your stay.
I did this in Sun City and they were more than happy to lock up my firearms until I left.

============

I'm staying at the Cape Grace and will inquire. I was also wondering if I could pay for a storage locker in JoBurg and leave it there while in CT since I have to come back to JoBurg before flight back home.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by tim416
I would opt for the .338. It's more than adequate and it sounds like you enjoy shooting it.

You said you were overnighting in Jo'burg. This will mean declaring your firearms and taking them with you. I would pay the $100.00 for the Gun assistance in Jo'burg. Air2000 or Gracy Travel offers this service. This will take care of that end.

If you are staying at a hotel in Cape Town call to see if they have a hotel safe room that they will store your firearms in for the duration of your stay.
I did this in Sun City and they were more than happy to lock up my firearms until I left.

============

I'm staying at the Cape Grace and will inquire. I was also wondering if I could pay for a storage locker in JoBurg and leave it there while in CT since I have to come back to JoBurg before flight back home.

If you stay a night going and coming, they might very well be willing to store it for you.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I am squared away.Many thanks to all of you and especially you Tim for taking the time out of your day to walk me through it.

Come July, if I'm not first a leopard snack and am back home, I won't be a Africa cherry any longer. I'm getting to the point where I am beginning to forget things I've learned.

As a quick aside, when I go to the customs office to register my firearm/personal property, is it wise to take our photography stuff to register or is that really not necessary? Should I include anything else I may not think of?

Last edited by isaac; 01/14/11.

William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: I would also include your camera gear and if you have an expensive watch I would add that as well. You just never know when you'll run into a dick customs agent that will try to say you bought the watch (or whatever) overseas and make you pay duty. Also, I don't know if you are aware, but those forms are good for life.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I learned they were good for life today,Jorge. Thanks for the excellent advice, as always. Hope you had a great time in Dallas.

William Arthur Ward

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 15,744 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,207
Posts18,543,655
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.