Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
For those of you who hunt typical 4x6 blinds, how do you lower it to the ground without damaging it. I am faced with this for the first time and am wondering about the safest way to do it. THe pic below is my 4x6 blind cuurently sitting on a 5' tower. Have you ever just mahandlled one with several people?

http://www.dillonmanuf.com/images/stories/4x6classicnew.jpg

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bigest thing is keeping the legs from kicking out on you as it comes down. I have used 2 quads or a truck with a rope or cable tied to the platform on both sides. One side is to get it started to come over and the other side is to keep it hold it back once you get it comming. The other though is to use Jacks and 4x4's get it up high enough to get the platform out , then let the jacks down to set it in the truck.What are you trying to do move it somewhere else or just lower it?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Do the reverse of what you had to do to put it up.
I don't see what the problem is here - except that maybe someone is allergic to manual labor.

5 feet is barely over my shoulders and I would think that all you would need to do is pull out the legs a little bit at a time and let it come down to the ground and disassemble it.

Or you could build a tri pod above the blind and pick up on it with a come along and take the legs out from under it and lower it to the ground.

You could stand up on the tail gate of a pick up truck and probably lift it off of the stand - what ever it takes.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
It is currently on a 5' tower. I need to remove the blind from the tower for highway transport.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
Do the reverse of what you had to do to put it up.

I didn't put it up. I purchased from the previous user. Your ideas are good though. My tripods are too short.

I don't want it to get beat up while moving it around. Thought the blind is new the previous owner messed up the lower corners to the point hey'll need repair before I reuse it.

Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you know 4 really fat people?

Drop some chicken legs on the ground where the blind would land and when they get down there to fetch 'em up, push her over.

JM.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Get the Dallas Cowbow cheer leaders involved and I'll bring a few buddies to help tear the thing down. We'll even bring the beer.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We've lowered them up to 12-15' and all steel several times.

Two guys, an atv, long rope, a truck with a winch or a tractor, a trailor of the proper size, and some good anchors is all it takes. Line the trailor up the proper distance for exactly where you want the stand to lay. Anchor the two legs on the trailor side very low to the ground. Tie a long rope as high as you can on the trailor side and tie it to the rear of an atv in front of the trailor. Tie the winch or a good rope or chain to the traactor on the other side of the stand. Get the winch and the atv snug. Pull with the atv while letting out the winch or driving the tractor and ease it right down into the trailor. Remove the anchors, pick up the bottom of the stand, and block the legs in the trailor high enough that they dont drag. Sometimes its best to lay 4x4s across the trailor rails if it's not a flat bed(also protects the roof). It's not hard to do and we've done it to some very heavy stands.

Whatever you do, never get under or near the stand and by all means use very good chains, ropes, etc. I have seen them fall when cheap ropes were used and it's not pretty. The anchors are VERY important with a really heavy stand. Trailor house auger type achors and steel cables are the best with large stands. Also, be very careful removing the anchors. If the trailor is too close to the stand, a great amount of tension may still be on the anchors.

A large tractor with a frontend loader and forks is by far the easiest way, but the way I described works just fine.

I've got a big 5x5 all steel that's 15' from the ground to the platform that we are going to have to move this summer. I'll probably use our 16x6 trailor or maybe the 18x7.

Good Luck

loder

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Drop some chicken legs on the ground where the blind would land and when they get down there to fetch 'em up, push her over.

JM.

You're not funny.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DOO_DAH
Get the Dallas Cowbow cheer leaders involved and I'll bring a few buddies to help tear the thing down. We'll even bring the beer.

You're not funny either.

Robert E. Lee
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
JM,
How many chicken legs? I know some ladies from church who might be interested in helping next time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

JM.

You're not funny.

Oh, come on, Re28. I thought it was hilarious. smile And which of us would pass on a chance to mingle with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders? wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Oh, come on, Re28. I thought it was hilarious. smile And which of us would pass on a chance to mingle with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders? wink

I'm sorry. I was in a bad mood. Carry on. crazy

But, I gotta say my wife is 48 and I still love to see her shake her pom-poms !!

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
For those of you who hunt typical 4x6 blinds, how do you lower it to the ground without damaging it. I am faced with this for the first time and am wondering about the safest way to do it. THe pic below is my 4x6 blind cuurently sitting on a 5' tower. Have you ever just mahandlled one with several people?

http://www.dillonmanuf.com/images/stories/4x6classicnew.jpg

Can you attach a couple of 2x6's underneath the blind and slide it into a trailer? Use rope to control the speed....we've moved several like that.

Or, if you have a tree next to it you can tie off to the tree and use a come a long, or hoist to lower the whole thing and then remove blind.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i just hook up to mine and tow it home. [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
srw

What is that one made from?? Looks like it might be one of those plastic tanks in a metal cage??

Cancer Sucks
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
srw

What is that one made from?? Looks like it might be one of those plastic tanks in a metal cage??

It DOES look like a 2 ton, chemical tote!
Novel idea!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
sky hook

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About the only thing I see is just get 5 or 6 guys to lift it down, buy them lunch after. Just going to take power.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lunch, Hell......Jus bring a coupla cases of beer and all should be good.....

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.