Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Victoria's dog,dammit!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Tom, that must be the pup?

He's gettin' big!

Yep...dats Chesty Puller...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Did you get your British line beauty in the states,Tom?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
That is a great pic.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by isaac
Did you get your British line beauty in the states,Tom?

Yep...actually right here in town...pure luck, I ran on to the BEST breeder of Labs Ive ever seen...more laid back and stoic( British influence) and actually most have the boxier British head....
Never a Lab fan.....before now.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bob...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bart, just visited my sister..shes got a 1/2 Pug and 1/2 Chihuahua......ugly-azzed dog...looks like a cross between a dog and a fruit bat....

Personality plus though....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pugs have such a wonderful personality,they can alter the genetics of a Chihuahua.... grin

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And this one did...to the better.... grin

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I think folks is sorta missing the point on the Jack Russels.

Seems like "breeds" as we recognise the term at present are a whole lot more uniform than in the old days. For example Jack Russels. I've been familiar with the type since the 70's on account of my sisters' employment with the well-heeled "horsey" set back east.

What is between the ears is of course the most mportant part of a dog and even back then dogs identified as "Jack Russels" came in variations on a theme. Nobody cared, and best of all the AKC didn't recognise them as a breed. They weren't trendy outside of horse barns, and there they were valued for their gameness and ability to kill rats.

Same thing with rat terriers AKA "fiests". As I understand it, a rat terrier was less inclined to go to ground than a Jack Russel, and was more tractable off leash too. Out in the woods they would range about 40 yards out, putting up rabbits and treeing squirrels. I had one.

Rat terriers come in variations on a theme too, various sizes, running more leggier on average than a generally similar=appearing Jack Russel.

Popularity is killing the Jack Russel here, and the AKC has their claws in 'em now too. Seems like inbreeding for "confomration" kills a breed pretty quick. Rat terriers got recognized by the AKC not too long ago too, but fortunately, just like AKC "Australian Cattle Dogs" ("Heelers" to everyone else) "AKC Rat Terriers" appear not to have caught on yet either.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

The old days?? Well I guess in the good Parson could said to have been living in the old days and he developed the breed into a very particular type, but always form followed function.

His terriers had long legs as they were expected to follow the Hounds and not be carried as short legged terriers were. Their upper body confirmation was all about having the size and flxibility to get down a foxes earth...The dog itself was required to stand off and bay a fox rather than close and kill it as the terriers in the North were required to do..

So the Parsons dogs were quite uniform in size and type, it was only in the years afterwards that the breed morphed into the hotch potch we have to day where anything smallish and brown and white gets called a Jack Russell..

I do tend to agree about the damage the Kennel Club and show breeders have done though, as they have ruined many, many fine breeds..

Regards,

Peter

Pete,

You live a lot closer to the source than I, but I understand the short legged Jack Russels were bred in the days when foxes had been hunted to the edge of extinction in Britain.

There was no shortage of badgers though, and the breed was selectively bred to go into the den and drag the badger out. That calls for one gutsy tough little dog.

And it pretty well describes Momma's new pet, Rascal. He is short legged and thirty pounds of pure muscle. He loves playing tug-of-war more than anything else on Earth, and can drag my sixty pound grand daughter across a smooth laminate floor.

The only time he ever barks is when he hears a strange noise outside, or a knock at the door. He gets very excited when he hears the voice of a child, as he loves to play with kids.

His hair is short but wiry, and he has to live inside when the temps get below forty degrees. But he still goes out and plays for an hour at a time when it is near zero degrees F. We have three big cats that live around the house, Rascal would love to chase them. But he can not get them to run from him.

Here he is with his favorite toys, my grandkids.
Slumber party here.

[Linked Image]

playing with my youngest grandson and Gramma
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The girls tried to sic him on a "big mean" bull snake
[Linked Image]

This little guy is smart as a whip, and very trainable. He just gets a bit hard of listening when he is after a raccoon or a skunk. I doubt that I have ever seen a more affectionate dog.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Bought Hunter from a eastern shore breeder in 97 and he loved even the most miserable parts of goose/duck hunting weather. Only dog who stayed in hotel rooms with me. Lost him in late 08. You've seen my spiraling downfall from there! This is a in-ground goose blind pit in Oxford Md, the year the eastern shore ruined goose hunting.

[Linked Image]

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn! I wish there was some way we could get over some of these dogs that have shared our lives...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought Hunter from a eastern shore breeder in 97 and he loved even the most miserable parts of goose/duck hunting weather. Only dog who stayed in hotel rooms with me. Lost him in late 08. You've seen my spiraling downfall from there! This is a in-ground goose blind pit in Oxford Md, the year the eastern shore ruined goose hunting.

[Linked Image]

Great photo...too bad Dogs didn't live as long as Parrots. :>)

Last edited by okok; 01/15/11.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okok

Great photo...too bad Dogs didn't live as long as Parrots. :>)

That's no lie...

M
Mossy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I think the little rescue dog will be a keeper. I've never been around a more laid back dog in my life.

He is totally content to lay on the floor next to the kids and watch them play a game or build a puzzle.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
These threads kill me, and one of the main reasons I can't wait to retire.

I can see some form or terrier and a lab.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's not mine. Just pay for food and vet. I said,HE'S NOT MINE!!

[Linked Image]

Yeah, Right, and a bear doesn't Schit in the woods and the Pope isn't Catholic either. whistle wink whistle

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Steelhead
These threads kill me, and one of the main reasons I can't wait to retire.

I can see some form or terrier and a lab.

Scott,

Dogs are twice as great in combination with a passle of grandkids.

You better get busy.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 60 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.