Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ that we might be justified by faith. So, until you come to faith in Christ, the law still applies. After you come to Christ in faith and receive his perfect one time sacrifice for sin, you have no more need of a schoolmaster. Pretty basic stuff.

Read this prayerfully and see where the law fits in.

Ga�3:22-26 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Exactly!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lmartin
its there scott i just found it by luck

Where?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by MarkD

I get the vibe that yours are not really questions, in that you truly want an answer, but want to attack the Bible (or Christianity, in general).

Nope. They were simple questions. Just wanted an honest answer to at least one of em' from someone who claimed to still 'live by' the Old Testament. We were 4 pages into it before an honest attempt was even made!
They were off-topic. You aren't the OP. Why does anybody owe you an answer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I get the vibe that yours are not really questions, in that you truly want an answer, but want to attack the Bible (or Christianity, in general).

Nope. They were simple questions. Just wanted an honest answer to at least one of em' from someone who claimed to still 'live by' the Old Testament. We were 4 pages into it before an honest attempt was even made!

No, they weren't "off-topic". And we converse with each other in these threads...not just the "OP"; otherwise they'd be very short threads. And nobody "owes" me an answer anymore than they owe you one when you ask a question on a public forum on the Internet that is built around discourse between folks.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_AL
Originally Posted by RAS2
Course, it's still relavent. 10 commandments are still in force.

What is the prescribed punishment for violation of any of the Big 10? Who has the authority or responsibilty for meting out the punishment. Is the enforcer immune from man's law?

I'm not trying to be a smartass but the "Big Ten" are actually easier kept than the "MAIN TWO" . It's a moot question,of course , since we can't keep any of 'em perfectly .

A man might make it thru life without ever commiting adultry , for instance .That's one of the BIg Ten .No man is gonna make without "lusting in his heart"[not even Saint Jimmy] and that's the standard Jesus set .

However , He enables us to keep His laws .Who among us is not capable of loving his neighbor if he is letting Jesus direct his thoughts , which is actually the first of the MAIN TWO?

When I don't love you - and I generally don't - it's because I don't want to : not because I can't .

Paul 'splained it better , of course .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Where?

Read back a few posts .

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

You're a blast on bible interpretation, curdog4570. Love it! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Where?

Read back a few posts .

Oh yes!

That passage refers to "cloth," not a hymen.

I misunderstood something or missed something somewhere in this discussion, obviously.

No further comment from this ol' ass.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why , I'm obliged,Keith .I'm of the opinion that the bible speaks to us where we are , not where we oughta be.

I mean , if we was where we oughta be , we wouldn't need directions ,now would we ?

Most folks would be better off figuring out where THEY are than wondering what their neighbor is up to or - worse still - "wondering what God wants me to do" .

Ain't but TWO things .Pick either one and you'll be better off than you are "wondering" .

Like the guy told me over 25 years ago ;" Leave God be and learn about yourself .God ain't the one that's drunk" !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understood , friend Ken .For what it's worth , the bible ain't where I read it and the writer elaborated on it some .Mama Jew had to rummage thru the bedding after the wedding night and find the membrane and put it in a little jar to keep as evidence .

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� I'm of the opinion that the bible speaks to us where we are , not where we oughta be. � Most folks would be better off figuring out where THEY are than wondering what their neighbor is up to or - worse still - "wondering what God wants me to do" �

Then I'm a heap more screwed-up than I ever imagined!

I don't fret over which paths other folks prefer to follow, but I'm terribly concerned about what I should be and which way I should go, according to divine wisdom.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goodnews

No offense to those who made the "contradictions comment" but it just always amazes me how ignorance of a subject is no obstacle too big to keep one from commenting on
it.

Nice. Questioning something that appears incongruent gets relegated to "ignorance of a subject"...as opposed to just honestly addressing the apparent incongruity itself.

Did not intend offense and said so; if you made the comment about contradictions in the OT, "they" probably can be explained to your satisfaction if you are seeking to learn, but not if you are looking for an argument.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

fair 'nuff. There certainly seem to be some who raise questions for that reason, though - and if so, so be it.
In response...
I believe we HAVE TO live by the OT laws if we are Christians - correction: we have to live in perfect obedience to the OT LAW if we want to be in Heaven.

Jesus himself seems to say this in the sermon on the mount:
Matthew 5:20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (they were about as righteous as could be - and the took pride in obeying every iota of the law.)

ahead to Matt 5:21-22: �You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, �You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.� 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, �Raca,�[d] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, �You fool!� will be in danger of the fire of hell. (this and the other verses in this passage also show how IMPOSSIBLE it is to obey the law and "be righteous". It isn't just our actions, but thoughts & attitudes. Even looking with lust at a woman is like adultery - WHO IS INNOCENT!??
to Mt 7:21-23 �Not everyone who says to me, �Lord, Lord,� will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, �Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?� 23 Then I will tell them plainly, �I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!�

I believe that verse 23 here strongly implies we need to know Jesus to enter the kingdom of heaven.

So, do we throw out the OT? NO. Among other things, it points to our sin and NEED for a savior. The LAW shows us that we can't do it!
And yes, I believe the rest of the OT (and the NT) point to Jesus Christ as that Savior and Messiah. He did for us what we could not (and can not) do.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

and to be fair, the OP hasn't said boo since the OP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But ........... you ain't WONDERING what He wants of you or which way to go .The reason you ain't WONDERING is because you are terribly concerned about it.

And - as I mentioned earlier - how on earth did this one thread change titles three times ? Scroll back up thru the posts and you'll find three different titles .

Never seen THAT before .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why , I'm obliged,Keith .I'm of the opinion that the bible speaks to us where we are , not where we oughta be.

I mean , if we was where we oughta be , we wouldn't need directions ,now would we ?

Well, cur, I for one am where I oughta be and that is in Christ Jesus. I am reassured of that fact about 165 times in Paul's writings. It just don't get no better than that.

Ahh, where are you? Nothing to me but you should know.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well , I'm relaxed and having a ball is where I am and what I'm doing .Once I started lettin' the spiritual side of me run my business , a lot of the stuff I used to worry about [like dying ]just went away .

You'll pardon me if I don't do "churchspeak" very well .It's not that I don't know the words and what they mean , it's just not the way I talk in my daily affairs so I ain't gonna post that way on here .

I'm obliged for your concern .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well , I'm relaxed and having a ball is where I am and what I'm doing .Once I started lettin' the spiritual side of me run my business , a lot of the stuff I used to worry about [like dying ]just went away .

You'll pardon me if I don't do "churchspeak" very well .It's not that I don't know the words and what they mean , it's just not the way I talk in my daily affairs so I ain't gonna post that way on here .

I'm obliged for your concern .

Whoa! I didn't in any way express "concern" as that's all your call. If you are not concerned about you, I'm SURE not.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sprint11
We were 4 pages into it before an honest attempt was even made!

I'm somewhat offended by that statement. I honestly tried to answer you the first time I addressed your questions.

Maybe I misunderstood you then...if so, I apologize. It just seemed that addressing questions (which can include talking around them) can sometimes be very different than answering questions.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is there still a question I can try to answer for you? I'm no theologian like Ken Howell or presumed expert but it's a book I've been reading and reading about for some 50 years now.

Happy to try.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 12,241 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,257
Posts18,544,616
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.