Print Thread
Hop To
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Just finished reassembling my Browning X-Bolt after taking it down for it's post season cleaning and oiling. I am going to call Browning tommorrow but wanted to get info here as well. What do you think the torque specs are on the action screws? Inch pounds of course. This X-Bolt has just 2 action screws, tighten the front one first?? I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench that I will be using. Thanks!!

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The amount of torque depends on the stock and how resistant it is to being crushed when tightening the guard screws. If the stock material is easily compressible, then torque figures mean nothing. In which case you are better off tightening it by feel.

If you want to test your stocks ability to resist compression, set your wrench at say 50 inch lbs, and tighten the screws. Wait a few seconds and repeat it. When the load is applied, if there is so much as a slight delay before the torque wrench breaks free, your dead in the water as far as usable torque figures go. Correcting such a problem will require the addition of vertical supports, or, pillars.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The best way is to experiment with a standard, or known accurate load. Here is a target fired to set the torque on a Savage Precision Target Action (three screw single shot action).

[Linked Image]

I used a precision torque gauge, increasing torque in 5 in lbs at a time front to back screw. Stock is a pillar bedded laminated varmint stock. Lower row read left to right, then final top left target. numbers at bottom of target is screw torque in in lbs front, middle and rear screw. Group moved between lower left and other targets as I adjusted the scope, torque changes moved the others. Go easy, depending on your action, tighten only enough to gain maximum accuracy, going above the 35-35-30 in lbs on my actions opens the groups. A Remington 700 or similar action including most bolt actions can actually bend with as little as 8 pounds of pressure and a poorly bedded stock.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 01/19/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,258 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.