-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had very good results with the "Widow Maker" on a 870 Express Remington 12ga. I also use a Carlson choke for the Browning Gold shotgun that shoots 3.5 inch shells.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FTR i have been very pleased with Comp-n-Choke but as of a year ago they did not offer chokes for hevi shot. that may have changed since then. their turkey chokes for lead though have shot very very well in 4 diff shotguns i've bought for.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For my supermag I have a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .665" choke, my only complaint was I couldnt shoot HS, I went to the ICBDS same constriction and now shoot heavyshot......I actually shoot a lighter load than I did with my KGT by almost a 1/2 ounce but I still get a tighter pattern at 40 yds......same shot size too.

Another vote for Indian Creek.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 6 Rhino chokes. Everyone of them throws awesome patterns useing Nitro ammo.

You ain't about that life.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
FTR i have been very pleased with Comp-n-Choke but as of a year ago they did not offer chokes for hevi shot. that may have changed since then.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Boswells to bring out a Hevi-Shot tube. They are not at all interested in the liability factor of constricting a column of shot pellets which are of a Rockwell hardness far above that of choke tube steel.

For lead shot and Winchester's haevy shot in the Elite shells............you are going to have a hard time picking a tube that will be more consistantly tight-patterning than the Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full.

Last edited by Yoder409; 01/28/11.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kicks Gobblin Thunder tube..50 yards easy in my 1187 with nitro mags

Last edited by CBB; 01/28/11.

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just wanted to add, that I used Winchester Supreme 12ga #5's in the 870 Remington and Winchester Supreme #4's in the Browning Gold shot gun 3 inch shells.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Rhino chokes.... My buddy who is a master Turkey Hunter wouldn't own any other turkey chokes, as he did some comparisons.

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
FTR i have been very pleased with Comp-n-Choke but as of a year ago they did not offer chokes for hevi shot. that may have changed since then.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Boswells to bring out a Hevi-Shot tube. They are not at all interested in the liability factor of constricting a column of shot pellets which are of a Rockwell hardness far above that of choke tube steel.

For lead shot and Winchester's haevy shot in the Elite shells............you are going to have a hard time picking a tube that will be more consistantly tight-patterning than the Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full.

i figured as much from talking to them in years past but didn't know if they had changed their stance or not. i myself like to shoot win surpream 3" in #5's and the C-n-C choke i have does them very well. i have bought them for the folloing guns so far, win winchoke, browning invector plus, Verona (I Rizzini), & Rem Sparta. every one a different gun make/model from the other and in all 4 times i got fantastic patterns with no holes.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 01/29/11.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Kicks Gobbling Thunder in my Benelli Super 90 with 3.5 inch Number 5 Winchester Supreme. When using Hevi-Shot i use the Cabelas Hevi-Shot choke. I still have some of the Remington Hevi-Shot. The Hevi-13 , just can't make myself pay 20 bucks plus shipping for 5 shell when my Kicks kills them out to 50 yards and that is as far as care to shoot at one . If they are past 50 yards then call them in closer or user a rifle, just to much of a chance of crippling one no matter what your load and choke will do on paper.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot Hevi 13 3-2-6 sometimes from a Kick's GT with zero issues. The Kick's won't quite keep up with the Indian Creek BDS with this load, but it isn't far off either. At 40 yards in a 10" circle the difference is about 25 pellet strikes. The Kick's will get around 175 - 180 strikes and the IC-BDS nudges over 200 hits from my Benelli M1S90. I also shoot Remington HD-BB's from a Kick's GT for predator hunting with zero troubles. I think the Comp-n-Choke is a bit less sturdy because of the radial cuts and material removed from the choke tube body and would not use anything other than lead from the C-n-C chokes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rhino .660 Extended choke in my SBE2 + Nitro 5013A shells = 325 hits in a 10 inch circle at a lasered 40 yards.

That was today in windy conditions.

I also shot at 20 yards - basically 100% of the pellets hit inside the 10" circle at that range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
I shoot Hevi 13 3-2-6 sometimes from a Kick's GT with zero issues.

I think the Comp-n-Choke is a bit less sturdy because of the radial cuts and material removed from the choke tube body and would not use anything other than lead from the C-n-C chokes.

From the folks at C-N-C's standpoint, it has nothing to do with the port design of the tube. It is all about Rockwell hardness conflict when it comes to compression of the shot column. In conversations with Chuck, he has told me straight out......... you might fire 99 or 999 Hevi Shot shells through our tube and the shot will all line up & constrict down just fine. It's that 100th or 1000th one that doesn't.........and blows the side out of your muzzle, that they don't want to assume the liability for.

It can and will happen. A buddy of mine lost the muzzle of his 1100 right beside me on a goose hunt one morning. It didn't even have tubes. It was a standard full choke and steel-safe. It was just that 100th or 1000th shot that time. The shot column didn't have enough give. The barrel did.

Last edited by Yoder409; 01/30/11.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
as far as the choke dia goes it will depend on your bore size. if your gun is overbored (.770")like a Mossberg then a .665" choke would yield .105" of constriction, yet a 0.665" choke dia on a std bore of .728" would yield 0.063" of constriction. hevi shot does not compress like good old lead so i would let the choke mfr tell you what dia/constriction to use on your particular model shotgun.

There ya have it. My Mossy 935 works best with a mirror polished bore and Rhino choke w/ Hevi-shot Co. triplex loads.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Yoder409

i figured as much from talking to them in years past but didn't know if they had changed their stance or not. i myself like to shoot win surpream 3" in #5's and the C-n-C choke i have does them very well. i have bought them for the folloing guns so far, win winchoke, browning invector plus, Verona (I Rizzini), & Rem Sparta. every one a different gun make/model from the other and in all 4 times i got fantastic patterns with no holes.

It goes past the claims of design beign a problem with their chokes, they had disagreements with EM in the past and it's the main reason they don't intend to produce hevi tubes or say it's ok in their tubes. There's been quite a few posts on other forums about this in detail, so I'm sure if you dig around you'll find more info. I've never heard about any problems with shooting small hevi from CBs chokes. They say themselves Nitro's hevis are ok in their chokes. Hmmm, Nitro hevi ok, but EM not? Yeah right. They use the same buffer, same shot, and HTL wads. I'm not saying to go against what the manufacturer suggest, but just that there's more to the story.

Have a good one,

loder

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
kcnboise,

By now you've gotten all kinds of advice about chokes.

The answer to your question (best performance at 40+ yards) isn't just in the choke, but the combination of choke and ammo which will produce the best patterns.

Unfortunately, nobody can give you 'the' choke recommendation, nor 'the' ammo recommendation, that is going to be ideal for your shotgun- you are going to have to do some experimentation on your own to determine what works best for you.

There are a lot of 'turkey' chokes out there- I'd pick one, then try it with the ammo you have been using. If you get lucky, and you have the pattern density at range that you desire, then great. If not, I would try some different ammo brands, shot sizes, even different 12 ga. ammo lengths and velocities. If still not satisfied, then try a different choke.
In some instances, the ultra-full turkey chokes do not give the pattern density that a normal full choke will deliver. If your Weatherby came with a full choke, by all means pattern it!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Yeah, I'm familiar with that. I have a box full of chokes from over the years, and another box full of different types of ammo... From that experience (and other people's that mirrors mine) I've learned that turkey chokes fall into two categories - those that are marketed to work, and those that actually work. I've also found that there's some trends between choke/load combinations that are stronger than gun/choke or gun/load combinations. My BPS choke I'd rate as okay, but I'm looking for something better or I'd buy what I currently have for my new gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a new choke I'm going to try in my Benelli Super90 . I have heard good and bad about it but will find out for myself. The choke is the Patter Master. I purchased it to shoot Number 4 buck and Heavy T shot for coyote calling but will try some of my Turkey loads with it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just use an old undertaker and it gets them big toms good and dead cause if n it aint broke dont fix it.....

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.