-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had several Jewell triggers and still have 2. I've had good luck with them so far with no problems at all. I have also used Timney triggers for many years and think they are darn good. Timney recently redesigned their triggers and I haven't had a chance to try their newer version. I think the newer version blocks the trigger instead of the sear??? but I am not sure. If anyone knows please chime in. 163bc

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by LBP
I've had several Timney's no problems at all. I set mine at 2 lbs and forget them...

I pretty much do the same with rifle basic.
Putting a 3 lever trigger on a m70 is for short bus riders.

dave

YMMV but I have found that Model 70 classic trigger suck, no matter what is done to them. Its not been possible for me to get one down to 1lb safely, which is easy with a Jewell.And I have had model 70 triggers done up bu several different gun smiths.

IN regards to BS mentioning Shilen triggers. I have a McMillan rifle with a shilen trigger and its been to hell in back, never had the trigger out to clean and its always worked like a charm. Its almost as good as my Jewell triggers. Oh and the gun has a 7mm barrel which outta make BS happy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a slug of Jewels and Shilen triggers. I go Shilen on the rugged stuff for no particular good reason other than the Jewels look like a internals on a Swiss Watch.

Nothing wrong with a honed and polished Rem 700 trigger either, I just re-spring them.

The dirtiest hunting that I have done was carrying rifles in scabbords on mules and horses, they got full of dirt and scratched all to heck, but I never had any issues.

Bouncing rifles around in pick ups on dusty roads can be rough on rifles as they pick up a lot of grime, I've just been lucky with Remington and Shilen triggers for this kind of use.

I have owned one Timney, and Shilen triggers are better to my eye. I take both of them completely apart before installation just for grins.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boot leather is tough on riggin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 jewell's.....one on a 5r .308 that sees much use and one on a 223 Rem hunting weight rifle. Never had a problem....I've only encountered utter reliability with mine. And if you don't know......we deal with blowing sand and nasty conditions here in West Texas. Never had a Timney, but I'm sure they're good triggers as well....as long as they've been around.

But I can't fault the factory Remington triggers at all....at least the old style. I don't see a real need to replace them. Not a fan of the newer Xmark.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 15 or better Jewells (all set at 1 lb on 700's) and a pair of Timney's. Like them both, but when I'm buying a replacement for a 700, it's worth the extra $100 for the Jewell. Like someone above said, the Jewell looks like a Swiss watch....well, I happen to love Rolex so maybe that's why I like the Jewell so much.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 4 Remington 700's with Jewell triggers. One has over 10,000 shots on it.(it's been on a couple of rifles/ barrels) Mostly "tactical" matches with a couple thousand rounds fired in the field in all conditions from -10de coyote hunting to +110 de hunt... oops killing prairie dogs.
This trigger is set about 6-8 oz. It is due for a trip back to the factory as it is showing some signs of wear. The other 3: one on Shayla's rifle has about 1200 or so and runs perfect, one on my 338L has about 2000 on it( not all from the 338) runs perfect, one on my 308/ 6.5x47L hunting rifle known round count, runs perfect. All have seen lots of dust, some rain and snow. Most have been on horse back into the back country.One is set @1.5#'s the others at 8-12oz.
Also have a Jewell on my main AR-15 in 223. This one has also seen sun, dirt, sand, snow, rain. I have about 7000-8000 rounds on this trigger with no problems.
I'm far from easy on my gear, but I've had great luck with the 5 Jewell triggers we have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Kinda like your writing is tough on my eyes...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by slg888
I own Jewell, Timney & Shilens. I like the Shilen trigger the best.

Same here. I rate them as Shilen, Timney/reworked factory (toss up), Jewell.

I just don't see the love affair with Jewells. Have/had four or five, so I did give them a try. I can't get used to the skinny trigger shoe. The clincher was when one had some mushy creep to it (not a 2 pounder, but one of the ones at about 6-8 oz). I called them, they said send it back for them to look at. They called a few weeks later, said they found that some piece was something like 15 thousands out of spec, and had replaced it. Cool. THEN, they told me what the bill was, and asked if I'd like to put it on a credit card, along with return shipping! shocked They admitted it was defective, and then tried to charge me for it?? That soured me enough to write them off. Too many other good (better) choices to deal with that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run them on my BR guns. If Shilen and a Jewell both set at 1.5 or higher you will not feel a difference. I have had great Timneys and some reworked Remingtons. Hunting guns, where I am running over a pound on the trigger they get a Shilen. Jewells dont shine (to me)until you get below a pound pull weight, then they are a class by themselves.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Kinda like your writing is tough on my eyes...

Tough eyes is handy...and I suggest you take notes,so as to toughen 'em up................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257heaven
2 jewell's.....one on a 5r .308 that sees much use and one on a 223 Rem hunting weight rifle. Never had a problem....I've only encountered utter reliability with mine. And if you don't know......we deal with blowing sand and nasty conditions here in West Texas. Never had a Timney, but I'm sure they're good triggers as well....as long as they've been around.

But I can't fault the factory Remington triggers at all....at least the old style. I don't see a real need to replace them. Not a fan of the newer Xmark.

Dry conditions is forgiving to gear,as opposed to saturation,which ain't. Frozen saturation,an especially unforgiving melding.

Heavy vegetation in conjunction to same,is rather exceptional in it's innate ability to cram dirt/debris into a rifle's nether regions and not all mechanical wares have an ability to literally cut to the chase.

I seen wind once.................

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Jewell trigger failures are rare and mostly internet hype!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yet trump the failure rates of others combined,which ain't hype.

Appreciate your taking the time and subtle way with words...............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is there anything like the original win70 type trigger available as an after market replacement? If I had my choice for a hunting rifle it wouldn't be any type inside a housing.

Same thoughts as others a jewel set for under 2lbs is one nice trigger.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both. The Jewell is a sweet trigger but I have have no need for a trigger that breaks that light on a hunting rifle. The Timney isn't as smooth as the Jewell but IMO is a lot nicer than factory and can be set at the right poundage for a hunting rig.

IMO the Shilen sits right in the middle of these. I've only had one but I really liked.

Terry

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Is there anything like the original win70 type trigger available as an after market replacement? If I had my choice for a hunting rifle it wouldn't be any type inside a housing.

Same thoughts as others a jewel set for under 2lbs is one nice trigger.

I've a Rifle Basix installed in a M70 varmint rifle at the preference of a well known smith, over a Jewell.

BR and varmint rifles are a different ballgame than hunting rifles that many prefer 2+ pound pull weights on. Jewell offers nothing at these pull rates.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your welcome!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep it coming.

I love this [bleep]...............

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Go Timney if its a hunting rig, Mel Forbes did his homework well.

MtnHtr

The newer (last 3 years or so) 700 pattern Timneys are NOT the same as the older ones and not not as good. That said, they are at least reliable which a 3-lever Jewel really isn't. Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have had at least three hunters with Jewels on their customs that went belly-up mid hunt. The dust killed them. If you are a guy that cleans his trigger every night and wants a 12 oz break- knock yourself out. I set my triggers to 2 lbs and like the rebuilt 700s, Timneys and Rifle Basix better. I am going to try a Shilen on my next build.

I have seen a Jewel trigger quit after a 10 mile ride on a dirt road. This was a completely clean trigger when we left camp as it was the first day. We ended up hanging it in a tree and leaving it until we were done hunting for the day. Same thing happened to an A-bolt.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.