Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Notropis

This points out why my original post is relevant.

That's just it, in terms of REALITY , your post has no "relevance".

For the last 40+ years, the ATF has never sought to regulate airguns...

Because they are NOT FIREARMS..

It's sad when the ATF has more common sense than you seem to have in this area. By your open ended interpretation of "destructive devices", every thing from a claw hammer to a baseball bat is a "firearm".

I hope you also don't have any unregistered potatoes, plastic pop bottles or auto oil filters in your possession. By your paranoid logic, the ATF definition of a Silencer includes those items as well since they CAN be attached to a firearm to moderate the sound.

Last edited by jim62; 01/26/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did look it up. It is not there. You can't find it because it is not there. You put the igniteable part in your definition.

This points out why my original post is relevant.
Uh, you are aware that legal definitions exist in other documents besides the one I provided, aren't you? No, strike that, you're not. It's readily apparent that you didn't spend a single second looking elsewhere and only looked at the document and definitions I posted because you were goaded into doing so. You want to somehow equate an aerosol can -- an item that doesn't drive a projectile -- with a firearm. And you keep harping on this ignorant definition of "propellant" that you've created in your infantile little mind.

Inert gases and air are not ignitable, nor are they combustible. Period. They are not explosive. Period. A propellant is a combustible material that produces gas upon ignition or creates an explosion capable of PROPELLING an object or objects with force. I really don't know why this is having to be explained to an alleged "adult," because everyone else here understands it. My dog understands it. And you? Well, you're kind of a dunce, so maybe there's no point in explaining it.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Bricktop, you are the one who put the ignitable part in your very limited definition of propellant. It is silly to think that a term such as propellant has but one very narrow definition. Notice they mentioned "other propellants" in the text.

Jim, reread my post if you are able. I clearly said that the ATF said it was not a firearm. You even quoted me in your reply. I further stated that the gun in question had a bore less than .50 inch and was clearly excluded.

I don't see any wording in the text that would even suggest that a hammer or potato would be considered to be a firearm.

The relevance of the original post becomes even clearer as this discussion continues because it points out that people will read what they want to read and act accordingly. Words often can be interpreted in many different ways, and the seemingly strict definitions given in the text may not be quite as strict as they may appear when spun by lawyers, judges, and beaurocrats. Just think how much grief the definition of "militia" in the 2nd has caused us gun owners.

Last edited by Notropis; 01/26/11. Reason: spelin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop, you are the one who put the ignitable part in your very limited definition of propellant. It is silly to think that a term such as propellant has but one very narrow definition. Notice they mentioned "other propellants" in the text.

Jim, reread my post if you are able. I clearly said that the ATF said it was not a firearm. You even quoted me in your reply. I further stated that the gun in question had a bore less than .50 inch and was clearly excluded.

I don't see any wording in the text that would even suggest that a hammer or potato would be considered to be a firearm.

The relevance of the original post becomes even clearer as this discussion continues because it points out that people will read what they want to read and act accordingly. Words often can be interpreted in many different ways, and the seemingly strict definitions given in the text may not be quite as strict as they may appear when spun by lawyers, judges, and beaurocrats. Just think how much grief the definition of "militia" in the 2nd has caused us gun owners.
You're quite the crawfisher, aren't you? Jim and I started beating your butt over your belief that an airgun could be "interpreted" to be a destructive device. Now you're claiming you realize it isn't and you've edited some of your responses to mirror that.

No, I didn't "put the ignitable part" in any "limited definition of propellant," dummy, I quoted the legal definition of a propellant. Get someone to look it up and read it to you. Maybe a diorama will help. I don't offer research for illiterate morons, Notropis, and yes, I DO mean you.

There are a myriad of reasons why this isn't a destructive device under current federal gun control laws; it doesn't use fixed ammunition, it doesn't use any sort of combustible, ignitable propellant to discharge a projectile, etc. This has already been covered. But you, Notropis, just can't get it through your THICK head.

Get someone to read to you the earlier quoted definition of "adjudicated as a mental defective," because it fits you to a T.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have edited nothing other that spelling or changes that have been noted. My original post, which you and Jim seemed not to understand, was simply a statement that destructive devices can have a broad meaning under the guidelines that were posted. That is a true statement. I never said in my first post that an airgun was classed as a firearm by the ATF and on my second post agreed with you that the ATF says it is not. I agreed with you two again when I noted that it did not fit the criteria for a destructive device because it has a bore smaller than .50".

I am not sure what your problem is in understanding these things.

I would hope that Jim can read better than you can and hope he eventually understands what I have written.

It is fairly hard for me to edit something that has been quoted by someone else in their threads. The edit accusation is even flimsier than your other arguments.

The "other propellants" mentioned in the text you posted leaves the definition wide open to anything that can serve that function. How about explosive? Are all explosions caused by "ignitable" substances? Hardly. Did you never pop a balloon? You limited understanding of the meanings of words is quite entertaining.

Beating my butt? That is laughable.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim62 and others:
I know the conversations has been related to BATFE. Thought you might this precedent of interst.
"Firearms" is a legislatively defined term. Here in the fine state of NY, most air rifles recently became firearms, due to some outstanding legislation. Pretty amazing what a pensroke can do.
What can I say? We have seasons for coyotes, crows, frogs & turtles. We elected Hillary as our Senator.
It makes me so proud.......

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Jim62 and others:
I know the conversations has been related to BATFE. Thought you might this precedent of interst.
"Firearms" is a legislatively defined term. Here in the fine state of NY, most air rifles recently became firearms, due to some outstanding legislation. Pretty amazing what a pensroke can do.
What can I say? We have seasons for coyotes, crows, frogs & turtles. We elected Hillary as our Senator.

Fishdog.

I am well aware of what various NON FEDERAL entities around the country consider Airguns to be firearms. NJ, Michigan, Illinois and some cites in California do as well.

Most cites and states consider Airguns ,Knives and Baseball bats to be "deadly weapons" if used in a robbery or assault.

That still does not mean the ATF regulates them as firearms.

Like I said, 40+ years of ATF interpretation of their duties shows that does NOT include Airguns..

Also, it takes a hell of a lot more than the stroke of a pen to change the ATF regs as they are currently interpreted.

One thing nobody has mentioned here is that the Crosman Airgun in the OP has a BUILT IN SILNECER. So does their MArauder model rifle and pistol. Airgunners call them moderators, but they certainly meet the ATS definition of a silencer- in both design and performance.

Why no Class III tax stamp required? Because it is NOT MOUNTED ON A FIREARM.

You can damn well bet a company like Crosman that does 100 million plus in sales every year had a legal team THOROUGHLY research the legal and regulatory precedents of those products before they unveiled them about 2 years ago.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have edited nothing other that spelling or changes that have been noted.
Uh, yeah you have. You posted this bit of "brilliance" at 9:32 P.M. CST last night:

Well, If the ATF says it isn't then it isn't.

jim62 took you to task over that at 9:43 P.M. CST when he posted this:

Originally Posted by jim62
NO ,YOU are saying that.

You then returned at 9:50 P.M. CST and added this to your post after he and I had both pointed out the citation from the '68 GCA defining firearms and destructive devices:

edit: Being less than a 50 caliber does seem to put it outside the definition of destructive devices.
Not exactly a spelling error you were correcting there, was it, dummy?

Jim understands the definition of DDs, firearms, propellants, ammunition, and ALL of the other items defined in the '68 GCA just fine. So do I. He and I have both been taking you to task over this and, as has just been pointed out, you're trying hard to save face. Your ego just won't let you admit you didn't know what in the hell you were trying to discuss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Jim62 and others:
The federal government sets the minimum standards for legislation.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You have a hard time with time as well as understanding. "Well, if the ATF says it isn't then it isn't." Does not that indicate that I agree that the ATF does not think it is classified as a firearm? Sounds like it to me. The time it took to edit and get the supporting reference was what, 8 minutes? I like to read the reference thoroughly in order to give an accurate answer. I was editing while he was posting. How does my edit change the meaning of the original post? They both agree that the ATF does not consider it a firearm. The edit gives a specific reason why that is true.

You need to spend more time trying to understand the meaning of posts instead of going off half cocked thinking someone is saying something they are not saying.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Jim understands the definition of DDs, firearms, propellants, ammunition, and ALL of the other items defined in the '68 GCA just fine. So do I. He and I have both been taking you to task over this and, as has just been pointed out, you're trying hard to save face. Your ego just won't let you admit you didn't know what in the hell you were trying to discuss.

Notropis,

I think you have misunderstood something here.

I have not been responding to Bricktop's arguments with you at ALL . I have not been following it, and have NOT been responding to it. If you go back and look at each one of my posts, they have only been addressed to YOU, not Bricktop.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All this is a waste of time.

I emailed Laura at Crossman last night to see if I could drive the 15 miles tomorrow and see the gun in question, and here is her reply:

Hello Allen,

The .357 model is only a prototype currently and not in production or for sale at this time. Please check our website for updates on when it will be ready. We�re expecting early summer sometime. Thank you for your interest in Crosman Corporation.

Regards,

~Laura

It isn't an available gun to argue over.......IE it may never make it to market, according to the listed contact in the advertisement.....

Allen

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hemiallen

I emailed Laura at Crossman last night to see if I could drive the 15 miles tomorrow and see the gun in question, and here is her reply:

Hello Allen,

The .357 model is only a prototype currently and not in production or for sale at this time. Please check our website for updates on when it will be ready. We�re expecting early summer sometime. Thank you for your interest in Crosman Corporation.

Regards,

~Laura

It isn't an available gun to argue over.......IE it may never make it to market, according to the listed contact in the advertisement.....

Allen

The gun is an AIRGUN. Period. The only folks wasting their time here are are the dingbats claiming the ATF will be regulating them.

Now, you trump that by claiming Crosman is not even serious about making them...LOL. Yeah, and they got NOSLER involved in making ammo for a gun that "may never be built"..???

Yah, right...

Who told you it may never make it to the market? There is NOTHING in Crosman's reply to indicate that.

Crosman's dealers have said not to expect delivery until the fall. Every one of the half dozen new guns they have come out with in the last 3 years at SHOT only existed as prototypes at the first of the year. And, they all have been in production by year's end.

Unlike Ruger, Crosman does not have a track record of taking orders for items at SHOT and then never making any.

If it is announced as due to be made, it will be built.

To all gunmaker critics-
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jim, That post you quoted above is not my post but rather Bricktop's.

My question to you is why do you think my second post
"Well, If the ATF says it isn't then it isn't."
means that I think it is a firearm?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by jim62

Hello Allen,

Regards,

~Laura

Allen

The gun is an AIRGUN. Period. The only folks wasting their time here are are the dingbats claiming the ATF will be regulating them.

Now, you trump that by claiming Crosman is not even serious about making them...LOL. Yeah, and they got NOSLER involved in making ammo for a gun that "may never be built"..???

Yah, right...

Who told you it may never make it to the market? There is NOTHING in Crosman's reply to indicate that.

Crosman's dealers have said not to expect delivery until the fall. Every one of the half dozen new guns they have come out with in the last 3 years at SHOT only existed as prototypes at the first of the year. And, they all have been in production by year's end.

Unlike Ruger, Crosman does not have a track record of taking orders for items at SHOT and then never making any.

If it is announced as due to be made, it will be built.

Lol

You are right, there has NEVER been a product announcement that failed to make it to market.....LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what is the velocity of the rifle - if we can get away from the argum.. er discussion of its legality.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Lol

You are right, there has NEVER been a product announcement that failed to make it to market.....LOL

We are not talking about just ANY gun, we are talking about the new Airgun here that YOU claim Crosman may not ever build...

Show me ONE Crosman product announced at SHOT that they never made in production quantities..

Instead of seeing only what you want to see to back up your baseless RUMOR, try dealing in facts.

The FACT is Crosman does not take orders on guns they don't intend to produce.

Last edited by jim62; 01/27/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You're right, Jim

I forgot you are the Wizard of Oz, all seeing and all knowing.

And nice edit, who said anything about taking orders? It's a press release the poster was discussing, I attempted to handle said product today and was told it does not exist for sale..... nothing implied, other than a laugh at arguing over something that has yet to be manufactured to be sold. Sorry you want to make an argument over facts I stated.

I posted the facts I was emailed, nowhere did I say anything derogatory about the company, it's practices of delivering items it makes press releases for. Not sure why you've got a lemon in that sour puss of yours......

Carry on your argumentative attitude, I am not here to piss on people as you seem to relish in.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You're right, Jim

I forgot you are the Wizard of Oz, all seeing and all knowing.

And nice edit, who said anything about taking orders? It's a press release the poster was discussing, I attempted to handle said product today and was told it does not exist for sale..... nothing implied, other than a laugh at arguing over something that has yet to be manufactured to be sold. Sorry you want to make an argument over facts I stated.

I posted the facts I was emailed, nowhere did I say anything derogatory about the company, it's practices of delivering items it makes press releases for. Not sure why you've got a lemon in that sour puss of yours......

Carry on your argumentative attitude, I am not here to piss on people as you seem to relish in.....

The gun was unveiled at SHOT dummy, and is listed in their 2011 catalog and website. Their major dealers are taking orders, so you can damn well bet Crosman is.

Also, NOLSER is making the .357 slugs for the gun.

So yes, your false claims about Crosman not even being serious about making the gun IS germane to the discussion.

Especially since YOU brought it up.

Try sticking to the truth and nobody will feel the need to call you on your BS.

Last edited by jim62; 01/27/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
So what is the velocity of the rifle - if we can get away from the argum.. er discussion of its legality.

All the information is in the article including MV and bullet weight.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/27/11.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 23 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,794
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.