Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Why would anyone pay more than double the price for a Talley ring and base set up than for a Warne?

I've used lots of Warne rings including quick detach and I've never had an issue. I've run into lots of issues like I've ordered the wrong rings or needed a base extension and Warne has always taken care of it free of charge.

Am I missing something?

Tom

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom,

I have a couple of sets of Warne rings on different rifles, and apart from those on a Sako, I've had no problems.

That said Warne are essentially a cast, sintered steel, while Talley are machined from a billet the traditional way. Warne maybe "strong enough" but Talley's will be stronger, all other things being equal..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 01/28/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the warne's better,like the look better and they don't mark up the scope.

1 and done
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both.

They are both well made

And they both work.

But, I think the Talley's look more....elegant?

I was turned on to Talley's when I was looking at a Leupold catalog 8+ years ago and 3/4 of the custom rifles had Talley rings and bases. Interesting when a company's own catalog features a competitor's product.

When it all said and done, an extra 30 or forty bucks is the least of my concerns on how much my rifle passion costs me.

It is nice when one of the most aesthetic choices can back it up with excellent performance.

ETA
Originally Posted by highridge1
I like the warne's better,like the look better and they don't mark up the scope.

See, different strokes for different folks. Warnes look bulky to me.

Last edited by duckear; 01/28/11.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chevy vs Cadillac, Good vs Best.

I still use Warnes in a couple applications Talley doesn't have what I need but Talleys are simply better. I have had a couple brand new Warne sets with stripped threads.

In most cases I don't mind spending a bit more for a better product. Talley Lightweights are not only the best they are pretty inexpensive............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used both. Both are good. By the time you break either one your scope will be dust anyway.

Jm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best?? Really?? Pretty over priced yeh. Yeh I agree both are good but are talley's worth twice the price of Warne's? NO Way..

1 and done
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
In an action I could see the argument for milled vs cast but seriously on scope rings. If your ring fails due to strength of material you're sol anyway given your scope is probably toast.

I don't mind over building a thing but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't start this thread as a flame on Talley. If you have the money go for it.

Just didn't know if there was a legitimate reason. I would say milled steel is not a legit reason.

Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comparing Warne Maxima rings to Talley QD's at Brownells the Talley's were apx $40 more. You might save more on the bases since the Talley QD's are made for Talley bases. The difference is that the Talley bases and rings fit together FAR better than the Maxima's and generic Weaver bases. I've used both, the difference is signifigant.

If you don't want to spend the extra $40-$60 to get precisely made well fitted, machined not cast steel for your scope mounts Don't. If you want cheaper Weaver bases and Rings work just fine and probably return to zero as well as the Warne Maxima's will. Just don't try and tell me that they are as good as Talley's, they aren't. I've used them all.

If you don't want to spend the extra don't. Some people are happy with their Remington 710's. Most people like a better rifle than a 710 and a lot of people like better rings than Warne's.........................DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used both as well.

Like I said earlier, if you break either your scope will be FUBAR anyway.

JM

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True to break either Weaver, Warne or Talley rings you would likely have to destroy the scope in the rings to do so.

Return to zero with QD rings is another question. Talley QD rings fit far more precisely to their bases than either Weaver or Warne Maxima rings and will more consistantly return to zero than either. For some people this is enough to justify their higher cost, for others it's not worth the extra expense.

Theirs nothing wrong with Warne, Weaver or Talley rings. All will hold your scope on your rifle and stay zero'd if you don't remove them.

If you want the least expensive rings that will work buy the old style Weavers. If you want something nicer but less expensive than top of the line buy the Warne's. If you want the best buy Talley's. There isn't a problem with using any of them.

Just don't try and argue that Weaver's and Warne's are as well made as Talley's becaue they aren't...............................DJ

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will take Warne over Talley rings any day.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just bought a rifle that came with Talley rings,no scope. First time with a set of these. So now I may ask a dumb question or two about them. Is there a front and back? or do they both fit on each base? (gun is a M700). Also how tight do you need to set the little levers that hold the rings/scope to the bases? Push with fingers? light tap with a tiny brass/rubber hammer?
First time with these so do not know,sorry if I seem dumb,just asking. Stew

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sound like a broken record.

And the obvious fact that both are more than adequate for the job continues to escape you...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You sound like a broken record.

And the obvious fact that both are more than adequate for the job continues to escape you...

Are you unable to read?

Originally Posted by Djpaintless
Theirs nothing wrong with Warne, Weaver or Talley rings. All will hold your scope on your rifle and stay zero'd if you don't remove them.

I don't know if it can be said much clearer than that..................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257STEW
I just bought a rifle that came with Talley rings,no scope. First time with a set of these. So now I may ask a dumb question or two about them. Is there a front and back? or do they both fit on each base? (gun is a M700). Also how tight do you need to set the little levers that hold the rings/scope to the bases? Push with fingers? light tap with a tiny brass/rubber hammer?
First time with these so do not know,sorry if I seem dumb,just asking. Stew

Not a dumb question at all. Torque the ring screws to 20-25 inch pounds. Get the thumb lever as reasonably tight as you can with your thumb. There is no front or back to the rings, any QD ring will fit on any QD base. Obviously some of the sets of bases do have front and rear.......................DJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info. Getting a scope on the rifle is on the weekend to do list. Stew

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm thinking the screws are the weakest point of the rings. I'm thinking the next evolution would be stronger screws with bigger threads or something to that affect.

I started this post because I hear a lot of folks are touting the Talley's.

Tom

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have experienced more problems with Talley Screw Lock Detachables then any other ring mount system I have tried. They back their product to the hilt but boy do they need a QA dept. They are a lighter and more elegant ring then the Warne but are severely overpriced .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both sets of rings are way too heavy imo. I prefer the Talley Light Weights. I don't feel that I'm giving anything up going to aluminum rings except the weight.

You ain't about that life.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.