Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thought about that. My tools are long gone but I think I could still turn the handles on a mill, lathe and surface grinder. It's just I live so far out there are only one man shops.

There was an opportunity to teach machining at the NW School of Wooden Boat Building but they don't seem to be in much of a hurry getting anything started.

Have a couple of apps for propane driving part time. They all acted uninterested until I showed my CDL with doubles & triples, tanker, combined over length-over weight, and HAZMAT. Then they got right attentive right away. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I'd like that,..but I'm almost as close to Europe as I am to Washington state.

Besides,...you'd probably have to run me off to get rid of me.

I'd just work you to death. wink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A CDL and experience should keep you working as much as you want and then some.

Even if you don't want to go with the big rigs, somebody who has demonstrated that they can handle one can get preference for all types of driving chores.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Scott F

I'd like that,..but I'm almost as close to Europe as I am to Washington state.

Besides,...you'd probably have to run me off to get rid of me.

I'd just work you to death. wink

lol,..good luck with *that*.

A couple of Japanese manufacturing plants tried,...but failed.

I eventually got cancer, three herniated discs in my neck,..and a big red nose, but I'm still here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A lot of my friends are retired and pick up work all the time. My friend Boolitt Bob is a retired machinist and has a shop in his home. He turns away work. He has more guns, cars, trucks, and tools than most.

Another friend is a retired game warden. He is a parttime firearms instructor at the local police academy.

Another is a retired attorney and takes an occasional case. Another is a retired exec and picks up a few bucks consulting. And then there is always real estate, my brother (retired) is big into that.

Almost forgot, a lot of people around here have a small "patch"that yields greenbacks instead of greens.

Lots of ways to turn a buck.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Us Micks die on our own schedule.

I ain't ready yet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hurt too much to keep driving 60 hour weeks. I can no longer stand 8 hours bent over a lathe of mill.

I lost almost everything when I got hurt was not allowed to work. There is no money for replacing my tool box let laone the machinery.

I refuse to just sit in front of the TV like so many who are hurt of retired. I will do something until the day they plant me.

Got a bunch of ideas for the farm and greenhouse.
I am a fair hand at sharpening and replacing handles on tools.
I can drive a little.
I could put in hours at a hardware store.
I might just stand on a street corner and look cute with a cup in my hand. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How's the Blacksmithing going, Scott?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been letting the right arm heal a little. I use a tendinitis arm band now and the helps a lot. Just have to learn I am not 20 any more. The mind goes places the body cannot follow. I did get a little work done before Christmas.

The weather here has not been real good for working in an open air shop. Will get back to it a lot more after I turn in the tractor.

Got several projects in mind and local farm store wants a couple of my campfire tripods.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Been looking for some Alder logs for starting some mushrooms. I can sell all the lions main I can grow at about ten bucks a pound fresh. Could end up making a nice stash of cash.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Since you brought it up, when are you gonna post some more pics of your place?

the one thing im sorry we didnt get to do while out there was actually see your place.......still hammering out the details on when we can work on a return trip.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Will be here and you will be welcome.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i cut back my cell plan and cable to minimum and shopped for off brands and programmed my thermostat when to kick on and off and saved myself a total of $100 or so a month and was proud of myself until my health insurance went up and my hospital bills wiped out the "surplus" i had going.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We cut out the insurance thing years ago. We are in good health and eat right so we spend way less paying cash than paying for insurance. It was two hundred a week for two us us with 3,000 deductible each and paid almost nothing after that. We have not spent 3,000 total in the last five years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I own my place outright, with good water, and soil improving by the Season. I ENVY you the soil that you found on your place,......I'm having to rebuild some seriously overgrazed ground. Perimeter stock fencing is about to wind up in the next coupla' week, though the internal paddock lines will still remain to complete. Boer Meat Goats should arrive shortly thereafter,....

The Water well's looking good, I can bodge and abuse it into running on straight solar by twisting a few wires,or hooking it up to 12V DC. I am holding off on Hard wiring it until I get a serious handle on lightning arresters, and isolating the Well from The wildazzed light shows we get in Monsoon season.

I could call out about 60-40 v. your 75-25,....in terms of the local dietary situation. That 40 or 25% is certainly some goodies and treats that we'd miss,....no ?

We've got a POWERFUL Farmer's Market group, and the best Ag buying structure one could ask for,....this far from anything major.

More then a few of us are wondering WHERE we are going to tie, paddock our Horses,Ponies or Burros in the town adjacent,....if this fuel thing gets to stupid,.....I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Border issues notwithstanding, This area is looking VERY solid in terms of not really giving up all that much of any importance.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like you will be in the top .01% is things go down hill. Good job.

Would love to visit some day and take my chances with your rotten hospitality, unsafe gun handling and man eating dog. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gladly haul my cell phone out to the shop and swat it w/a 2# ball peen, then call and cancel dish, dont watch that much tv anyway.

Would save 2400 bucks a year right there.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I got 12 cans o'beanie weenie and a case o'.308.

I figure I can hold out fer 12 years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I would cut back on T&E, sell the city home, and hole up at the ranch.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would lower my Cell phone plan, Dtv package, my contribution to my 401k.
Cut out soda, fast food, and netflix
Let my landscaping die

Would consider having more yard sales, taking up a second job, claim 4 on my deductions instead of 2. Claim married instead of married but at a higher single rate.

God forbid I have to go lower than that. Then my big eye collection would have to be next.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 55 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.