Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by battue
..There is an essential intrinsic quality that so far they have failed to reproduce.

Mystique. It can only be reproduced over time.

Wish the new guys all the best, but I will not be around to know if they solved the mystery.

IMO they need to cover new ground and scale the whole down to where they have a true FWT. The blueprint has already been drawn for them.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Raj
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Redneck
If you do a quick search, you'll bring up about a thousand threads re: pros/cons of the SC models..

Mostly positive. Except Redneck don't like the new trigger design. smile

Redneck isn't the only one that doesn't like the new moa trigger. I was just shooting a fwt that I recently bought here and my ruger m77 hawkeye for a comparison and also a FN PBR XP for a further comparison (since the new winchesters are made by fn now). Where do I begin????

1. "moa" trigger, adjusted down to a lighter pull compared to my hawkeye that I've honed and polished and installed a lighter spring on. Which is better:
Ruger Hawkeye.
WHY?: The new trigger just isn't as smooth, slight creep, pull weight has a very minimal adjustment at that, don't like the enclosed design because of grit and grime + freezing temps and moisture could render it inoperable.

The fn pbr xp trigger is a dream!!!!!!! I haven't touched it and it is smooth and crisp, and has no creep whatsoever. It is better than any winchester trigger I've used, but is based off the old design.

Besides the trigger, the new SC (fn made) Winchesters are very nice. Fit and finish are exceptional, bedding is great, and the action is smooth and reminiscent of the pre 64 more so than the older classics (New Haven made). You'll no doubt be happy with one if you do decide to buy, hope this helps.

BSA 1917 hunter,thank you very much for this info on the triggers(and on the rifles).
Is it possible to change this trigger to the FN PBR XP trigger.I am not familiar with that rifle and also am not a gunsmith.Just curious and also want to see what options one has, to avoid problems with the trigger like Mr Battue had.

Raj, If I were you , I wouldn't concern myself too much with the new trigger. Their intentions were to make it better and more modern than the old pre 64 type. Ironically, all of my hunting rifles wear the mauser style military trigger (single stage such as the pre-64/new haven etc.) except for my sporterized m1917 which was an actual military rifle at one time grin. This rifle has a timney, which I absolutely love. I'd have to say this rifle also goes out in the field with me more than any other rifle does. I'm anal about keeping my rifles clean and the trigger mechanism on this gets blown out with light compressed air periodically. I've never had one problem with the timeneys, so in retrospect I think you will get by just fine with the SC made winchester model 70. Mine handles great, it is light, bedded right (for once!!!!!! you guys won't be seeing a bedding post on this one grin) and damn accurate right out of the box. Hope this helps you Raj. Take care and good luck.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
bsa1917hunter,
thank you for the above words.Appreciate that very much.Hope if I do "pull the trigger",on one of the new SC 70's it will serve me as well as your BSA 1917.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 1minute, 16 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,383
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.