Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

One of the agents did put his body armor on and took a bullet under the armor

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by lithian
The account I read said all of the agents had long guns available in their cars, some shotguns and some MP-5's. They also weren't wearing body armor that had been issued to each of them.
They were outsmarted to say the least!
Body armor would have been no help against the rifle absent hard plates, which they likely didn't have.
I have to disagree. Body armor is always a help. It may not STOP a 5.56 for instance, if you are only wearing armor rated for stopping .38 Spec. But it may save your life, making the penetration of the rifle round only about half what it would have been. Body Armor underrated for the round coming in may actually stop it if you are far enough away.

I don't think the 10 is the magic that some do. I still say the tactics and thinking is what created the bad situation.

The FEEBS probably didn't even need to be involved anyway. Maybe if the town cops SWAT had done the takedown there would have been less good guy casualties.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by lithian
The account I read said all of the agents had long guns available in their cars, some shotguns and some MP-5's. They also weren't wearing body armor that had been issued to each of them.
They were outsmarted to say the least!
Body armor would have been no help against the rifle absent hard plates, which they likely didn't have.
I have to disagree. Body armor is always a help. It may not STOP a 5.56 for instance, if you are only wearing armor rated for stopping .38 Spec. But it may save your life, making the penetration of the rifle round only about half what it would have been. Body Armor underrated for the round coming in may actually stop it if you are far enough away.

I don't think the 10 is the magic that some do. I still say the tactics and thinking is what created the bad situation.

The FEEBS probably didn't even need to be involved anyway. Maybe if the town cops SWAT had done the takedown there would have been less good guy casualties.

It goes back to jurisdiction regarding bank robberies, it's a Fed. crime. They didn't play well together with local agecies back then. They don't still today, but it's better. Some larger areas have a bank robbery taskforce with local LE assisting the FBI on a fulltime basis. If a BR occurs and local agency responds, FBI is still called and they take over the investigation.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Just a general comment not aimed at anyone specifically. I can't quite get my head around the fascination everyone has with this incident and the need to analyze every second of it, considering the number of police gunfights that occur. The 7 Ps pretty much cover the most important lesson to be learned. With that said, I think long guns in most FBI hands would have made up a lot of the lost ground and ended a lot of the caliber debates.

My fascination with this gunfight is it shows what a determined person can do. Platt faced 8 agents alone for the most part. Killed 2 and wounded 5 others. He should of been taking fire from 8 people at the same time (though 2 agents lost thier gun at start but one did pull a five shot back up). Platt did not care about being shot he continued to try and win the fight.

If Matix had also been involved in the fight they would have killed or critically wounded 8 FBI agents half of which had been trained to be on HRT. If the FBI agents would have the mindset of Platt and Matix this would have been a simple gunfight that had long been forgotten by everyone but the guys that were there.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely. But, we all can get that message without having to argue whether the made for TV movie accurately depicted it and whether a different bullet would have made a difference.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The gun, bullet, caliber argument will be around forever after this fight. Just think what might have happened if the FBI would have adopted the 9mm instead of the 10mm after this fight...grin.

Arguing over a made for TV movie...well you just can't fix some peoples children.. grin

After this fight the FBI did allow personally owned weapons to be carried. After recovering from being shot Agent Mcneill returned to the FBI carrying a sig p226 (or 228) in 9mm. He is supposed to have said that he never wanted to run out of ammo in a fight again.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I owned a 228 for a time and it was a great weapon. It was during the AWB though and extra mags were not easy to come by. I think they cost about $50 apiece at the time, all for a couple of rounds more than the ten rounders. I now have the Smith M&P for my 9 but I have wondered if I would be better armed with the SIG.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I owned a 228 for a time and it was a great weapon. It was during the AWB though and extra mags were not easy to come by. I think they cost about $50 apiece at the time, all for a couple of rounds more than the ten rounders. I now have the Smith M&P for my 9 but I have wondered if I would be better armed with the SIG.
I owned the old SIG P228 myself back in the 1980s and 1990s. My opinion is, although it was an excellent weapon, the S&W is better. No transition from double to single action on the first and second shot. Same trigger pull from first to last, and that's a huge advantage in my book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do know that a 180 grain (1300fps) 10mm bullet out of my Glock model 20 does in fact out penetrates any 9mm Luger round being made and the .45acp 230 grn bullet as well. I ran the tests in wet newspaper 2 years ago.

I am not knocking the .45acp (I carry one!) but I myself like it for more up close and personal situations, not shooting 35 to 50 yards away. The 10mm does a better job penetrating simply put and the FBI would be well served it they were carrying this weapon instead of what they had in the 1980's.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I shoot a 255 grain hard cast that clocks 925 FPS out of my 1911 and it penetrates very well. I guarantee it will leave a mark

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's my experience as well. The smaller 9mm and .357 loads with 110-125 gr. HP's kill very well. But if they have to shoot through much, they have little left to do the killing. The 10mm/180 gr. HP and the .45 ACP/230 loads at 900 plus do much better. Or, you can go to the .44 Magnum which really out shines the smaller rounds. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a reason why Dirty Harry likes the .44mag!!!! grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That's my experience as well. The smaller 9mm and .357 loads with 110-125 gr. HP's kill very well. But if they have to shoot through much, they have little left to do the killing. The 10mm/180 gr. HP and the .45 ACP/230 loads at 900 plus do much better. Or, you can go to the .44 Magnum which really out shines the smaller rounds. E

Exactly

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well there is a price to be paid for any round you carry. I stocked up on the Win whitebox 110 .357's because back in the day, Jan Libourel said they were excellent for home defense if you liked your next-door-neighbor. I love my wife and thus don't want collateral damage. The FBI was in a specific situation where they needed more penetration and didn't have it. They took that one fight and extrapolated the results changing the whole of LE thinking about penetration. IMO, the results were, for a time, less than satisfactory. To wit: Do they currently use the 10mm?

Sometimes you need penetration. Sometimes you want expansion without the bullet exiting, especially in any scenario where there are bystanders.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well there is a price to be paid for any round you carry. I stocked up on the Win whitebox 110 .357's because back in the day, Jan Libourel said they were excellent for home defense if you liked your next-door-neighbor. I love my wife and thus don't want collateral damage. The FBI was in a specific situation where they needed more penetration and didn't have it. They took that one fight and extrapolated the results changing the whole of LE thinking about penetration. IMO, the results were, for a time, less than satisfactory. To wit: Do they currently use the 10mm?

Sometimes you need penetration. Sometimes you want expansion without the bullet exiting, especially in any scenario where there are bystanders.

The FBI found the 10MM to be to much to handle and I heard they down loaded the round to about .45ACP power levels. I think they may use the .40 now but don't know for sure.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Or, you can go to the .44 Magnum which really out shines the smaller rounds. E

Or, you can quit screwin' around and just take care of business, as summarized in a single word:

Shotgun.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

80 percent of all rounds fired by police are misses if memory serves. The over penetration arguement is over done. By standers are more likely to be hit by misses than from over penetration

One always needs enough penetration

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

80 percent of all rounds fired by police are misses if memory serves. The over penetration argument is over done. By standers are more likely to be hit by misses than from over penetration

True on all counts.......I'll take as much penetration as reasonably possible. I'd rather use ball than a weak HP like the Win Silvertip.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
...80 percent of all rounds fired by police are misses if memory serves. The over penetration arguement is over done. By standers are more likely to be hit by misses than from over penetration

This is a very tough one. While you need enough penetration, perforation is downright dangerous. There have been more than one LA cops who were shot by their partners after perforating thier intended target, I believe there was even a death or two. Clearly you have to have enough penetration to reach the vitals, but perforation of the target of the target is not cool.

This is why I tend to favor JHP's for defense, good penetration, but not too much penetration. The needs of a civilian are much different from that of a cop. Rarely does a civilian need to penetrate through a hardened object. The vast majority are front on confrontations with no intermediate barriers. For that, you just don't need a ton of penetration, 12" in calibrated ballistic gelatin is quite adequate. Anything beyond 18" can be a liability.

You have to think about the aftermath of a shooting. If someone other than the intended target is hit by one of your bullets, you'll have to answer to that, and answering will be something that could ruin the rest of your life.

Let's just pray to God this is only an intellectual exercise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK

My fascination with this gunfight is it shows what a determined person can do. Platt faced 8 agents alone for the most part. Killed 2 and wounded 5 others. He should of been taking fire from 8 people at the same time (though 2 agents lost thier gun at start but one did pull a five shot back up). Platt did not care about being shot he continued to try and win the fight.

If Matix had also been involved in the fight they would have killed or critically wounded 8 FBI agents half of which had been trained to be on HRT. If the FBI agents would have the mindset of Platt and Matix this would have been a simple gunfight that had long been forgotten by everyone but the guys that were there.

Dink
Holy crap, I find myself in agreement with DINK! Good assessment sir.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,643
Posts18,512,351
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.