Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

This is why I tend to favor JHP's for defense, good penetration, but not too much penetration.

I agree & carry JHP's but all JHP's are not created equal.

I favor Hydra-shoks & Gold Dots, while foregoing Silvertips, for example.

This is an ongoing test of bullet performance originally begun as a result of the Miami incident.

45 ACP Performance Data

MM

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

You have to think about the aftermath of a shooting. If someone other than the intended target is hit by one of your bullets, you'll have to answer to that, and answering will be something that could ruin the rest of your life.

Let's just pray to God this is only an intellectual exercise.

Yep, good points.

Might be a worthwhile read: After You Shoot

MtnHtr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That's my experience as well. The smaller 9mm and .357 loads with 110-125 gr. HP's kill very well. But if they have to shoot through much, they have little left to do the killing. The 10mm/180 gr. HP and the .45 ACP/230 loads at 900 plus do much better. Or, you can go to the .44 Magnum which really out shines the smaller rounds. E
Well there is a price to be paid for any round you carry. I stocked up on the Win whitebox 110 .357's because back in the day, Jan Libourel said they were excellent for home defense if you liked your next-door-neighbor. I love my wife and thus don't want collateral damage. The FBI was in a specific situation where they needed more penetration and didn't have it. They took that one fight and extrapolated the results changing the whole of LE thinking about penetration. IMO, the results were, for a time, less than satisfactory. To wit: Do they currently use the 10mm?

Sometimes you need penetration. Sometimes you want expansion without the bullet exiting, especially in any scenario where there are bystanders.

80 percent of all rounds fired by police are misses if memory serves. The over penetration arguement is over done. By standers are more likely to be hit by misses than from over penetration

One always needs enough penetration

True as true and right as rain but "enough" is truly enough. While bystanders may not be a concern, penetration to the loss of expansion ain't a good thing. If you're using an expanding bullet, you want it to do that, and that usually means stopping some place, preferably in the vitals. You seldom get both penetration and expansion. If a .40 expands to .60 it usually stops...you get the picture. Anyway, it's not all about bystanders, but some of it is.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

As far as terminal performance is concerned exits are not a bad thing.

Kevin, I'd like to see the percentage of any LA cops that have been wounded after the bullet exited the bad guy from a solid hit. A very low percntage, I'd say

In the Miami FBI shootout there were 140 rounds fired, a high percentage were misses and residences were hit. This fact is in the Adminstrative Report that I posted. There were many innocent bystanders and none were hit. I am sure that by standers are sometimes hit, but this is rare. I will try my best to consider if or not a bystander may get hit or not before I pull the trigger, but my first matter of concern is to survive.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told the FBI carry's .40cal. pistols nowdays, don't really know for sure. Many police departments around me have gone to carrying the .45acp caliber.

I know this much, the 10mm does the job in spades! Now my wife shoots my model 20 Glock in 10mm without any problems, other than more recoil than her .40 cal Glock but nothing she can't handle for a dozen rounds.

So in my eyes, the FBI and other LEO's would be leaps and bounds ahead of the bad guy by carrying the 10mm caliber. The Glocks don't have as much recoil as the Dan Wesson, Smith & Wesson models do. Just my thoughts on the subject and I myself carry every other round as FMJ in both my pistols.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tonk are you saying that you load your pistol one round hollow point, one round FMJ, one round hollow point, etc?

Dink

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What the Miami shootout really showed is bring rifles, shotguns, and fire a lot of penetrating ammo into perps who resist.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This Country has a severe chronic shortage of dead career criminals

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just read the whole thread and I just backs up my choices that I made when I was a working LEO. The minute we were allowed to go to semi-autos I stuck my .38 Super Commander on my belt loaded with Federal Hydra-Shoks, in the car was an M-1 Carbine with both 110 grain ball & JHP rounds plus my 870 loaded with OO buck.

If I knew or even thought there was gonna be shooting I got out with the Carbine, if clearing a building it was the 870.

Today if I was to be active I would only change the handgun, I would carry my .45 Commander with 230 grain Hydrs-Shoks, I would still bring the carbine & 870. And pray every night before bed to NEVER need them!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

As far as terminal performance is concerned exits are not a bad thing.

I will try my best to consider if or not a bystander may get hit or not before I pull the trigger, but my first matter of concern is to survive.

First off, that is not true all the time. If you have a non-expanding bullet, the terminal performance is not hindered and in fact, may be helped by a longer wound channel. The main thing that stops fights though, is hitting vital organs, in which case larger diameter wounds are a big help and we only have so much velocity to use in the creation of a wound channel. To wit: If the bullet expands it travels less far than one which doesn't, given the same velocity. So if a bullet is not expanding, it is not as likely to hit vitals and it is also creating a smaller diameter wound channel. The only value of exiting is a second hole to bleed from and bleeding out is a much less desirable method of stopping a fight than hitting vitals. (ie disruption of the CNS or cardio pulmonary system.) Generally speaking, you have less expansion from deeply penetrating rounds. If penetration is all you seek, FMJ Ball is as good as anything. Regardless of what your views on Marshall are, 45 autos stopping people 9 times out of 10 with Ball Ammo has been thoroughly debunked.

The problem of bullets exiting and hitting unintentional targets is a separate but related concern.

Secondly, if you are only worried about bystanders as sort of a secondary concern, as your post kind of suggests, then you need to re-think. It ain't ethical to throw shots around to save yourself while killing innocents who just happen to be there too. Each shootout is different and there may be other concerns, but this is a general rule and is taught in any CCW class in the country. Also, if you do hit somebody who is not involved in the fracas, you are almost guaranteed to be beaten in the civil suit to follow and you will probably do jail time after you are hit with criminal charges. The rule of the Jungle is to survive, but in civilization laws have been created to protect the innocent. You can't survive at the expense of innocents without consequences.

I will say I think you already know all this, but your post doesn't relate that knowledge.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
If I knew or even thought there was gonna be shooting I got out with the Carbine, if clearing a building it was the 870.

Most of the security gents I worked around (not with) in the Katrina aftermath got out of vehicles with M4's and cleared buildings with pump shotguns, usually 870's. You would have fit right in. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Luckily I don't know what it is like to hit an innocent person by mistake. Thank God for that.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To wit: If the bullet expands it travels less far than one which doesn't, given the same velocity.

Yep, and that statement is a good summary of why the kinetic energy of a bullet really does matter, regardless of who understands that or not.

When kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy, work is done. Work is defined as a force applied over a distance. If the bullet expands, it deccelerates faster, meaning that it imparts more energy on its target at the expense of penetration. And vice versa.

The conversion of kinetic energy demonstrates how expansion and penetration are related.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The problem is that they brought handguns to a long gun fight.

....and as ignorant about their weapons as most cops I know.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DINK yes I do and it works just fine for me!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tonk
DINK yes I do and it works just fine for me!

I am sure it works just fine but I am not sure how it will fly in court for you if you ever have to use your gun. I arrested a guy one night that had a pistol loaded the same way it was made a big deal in court. Now keep in mind the guy was turd and could not legally have any firearm anyway. I don't know how it would go in a self defense shooting.

Dink

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A couple of things here guys.
First of all, if you are defending yourself, under attack, you are not civily or crimminaly repsonsible for any outcome, including your unintentional killing of another. The guy that started the fight is.
I've also noticed that those who worry about other people while trying to engage a BG in a gunfight often don't prevail. That's because it takes all of the concentration you have just to hit the guy and put him down. Trying to "multitask" in a gunfight is a good way to give away the fight.
Now, if you want to argue that you'd feel terrible if you shot somebody by mistake, no matter the circumstances, be my guest. I'd feel terrible if I couldn't get the job done due to poor ammo or gun choice and some innocent died. Or, even worse, me. E

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
First of all, if you are defending yourself, under attack, you are not civily or crimminaly repsonsible for any outcome, including your unintentional killing of another. The guy that started the fight is.
I've also noticed that those who worry about other people while trying to engage a BG in a gunfight often don't prevail. That's because it takes all of the concentration you have just to hit the guy and put him down. Trying to "multitask" in a gunfight is a good way to give away the fight.
Now, if you want to argue that you'd feel terrible if you shot somebody by mistake, no matter the circumstances, be my guest. I'd feel terrible if I couldn't get the job done due to poor ammo or gun choice and some innocent died. Or, even worse, me. E

A post that is spot on, from some one that gets it. Bravo

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kevin, I'd like to see the percentage of any LA cops that have been wounded after the bullet exited the bad guy from a solid hit. A very low percntage, I'd say
I only know of two incidents, one involved the death of the partner. Where the intended target was shot and under what circumstances I really don't know; but honestly I don't have to know. I know enough about ballistics to know what bullets do. If a bullet penetrates 20 or more inches in ballistic gelatin then there's a good chance it will completely perforate a center hit bad guy and still be lethal after leaving the bad guy's body. Considering the fact that were just as likely to be hit by lightning as to find ourselves in a gunfight, the odds are in our favor. Each of us need to decide for ourselves how concerned we need to be about bullets that perforate their intended target. I've come to terms on this subject and so have you; we disagree. No big deal, we're both intelligent gentlemen who have intelligently and even somewhat scientifically considered the topic(you and I have both done a significant amount of bullet testing), and came to slightly different conclusions. I don't know that there is a 100% "right" answer to this one. We choose the ammunition that best suits our situation and needs.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

A post that is spot on, from some one that gets it. Bravo
I tend to agree, but would you feel quite the same way if the gun fight were going on in the upstairs hall of your home with your wife and kids asleep in various rooms? I could imagine a rationale for seeing it exactly the same. Just wondering what your response would be.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.