Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
:
Them's ain't rifle guns, they is smoothbores grin

Ha Yen,
ET is just being ornery. Imagine that...?? laugh
While it sounds contradictory, style-wise and historically, you could have a "smoothbore rifle". The barrel is not rifled so it is not a true rifle but a 'gun' that has a rifle type stock, has a heavy walled barrel and front and back sights could be correctly termed a "smoothbore" rifle.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look close at mine. Front and rear sights yet is a fowler.

THIS is a rifle grin
[Linked Image]

Love dem Lancasters grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/28/11.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ET,
That is a fine looking RIFLE! Details...?

I have an Isaac Haines from Jim Chambers -- but it is in a cardboard box in the garage - in a million pieces. My dear little wife says that I can't start anymore projects until I get my new shop done and move the mess out of the garage...(sigh)

Thanks for the pics!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought you would have had red plaid kilts and knee socks to go with that outfit!! grin

I told Mrs Flem to look at your pic and she said, "Tell Jim style points for the man purse." laugh

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 01/29/11. Reason: Mrs. Flems' remark

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Woody,
That is his everyday outfit. He saves the colorful stuff as his Sunday-go-to-meeting attire!
...and he has high heels that go with the man purse blush

Johnny $

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 01/29/11.

Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe you're right!!! grin Where's home??

Woody
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rural Madison County. How about you?

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got an acreage south of Plattsmouth up on the bluff overlookin the river...

Woody
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey now, that is a great area! Any eagles out and about?

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not too many now, but back at the tail end of bird migration had several in the trees behind my house..seems they're always back there lookin for easy pickins....

Woody
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yet another fine kit ET. Seems I recognize the "man purse" fowling bag. That's ok...my wife always told her friends "Vic's making another purse". Wadda they know anyway 'bout such important stuff...

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Saw Mrs Flem's comment and couldn't help but bump it along a little.

Too bad Jim isn't here to defend hisself!

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
smooth rifle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThe rifle is a Lancaster,50 cal using an L&R Classic lock. Very quick lock! Done by Brian Turner. SWEEET shooting iron!! Around the muzzle are stamped alternating "x" and "o" 's. I was told that they are the Pennsy Dutch Hunter's good luck hex. As for my "colors" We ain't rquired to wear that revolting hunter orange here so the green/black or red/black check patterns are good to go. Actually quite visible without looking like yer on a quest for a whorehouse. The warbags or shooting pouches historically pre-date any of the [bleep] you guys might wanna buy grin

Added: Cap, I REALLY like YOUR artillery!!!! grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/29/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Added: Cap, I REALLY like YOUR artillery!!!!

Thank you . but the smooth rifle isnt mine . its one i built for a fella over in Kennewick.

Here is my fowling bag for my Hudson valley . Not sure if I showed you folks over hear this or not

[Linked Image]

Last edited by captchee; 01/30/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinCap YOU built it!! You built the Hudson Valley fowler too and they are superlative IMHO. Now dese guys gotta realize that THEY are behind the curve on our warbags grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/30/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
cap, fine work as usual. That smooth rifle is NICE. Is the engraving your work also? I believe I've seen that bag before, pretty sure I have. Over on another Campfire, the one with 'sticks and Mike and LD?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
captchee,

Everything you do is a work of art. Like that smoothie!

I will likely build a Fusil de Chasse from a Pecatonica parts set for my first build. It won't be HC; but then again I'm not so concerned about that. Just want a smoothie for my first so I can do small game and deer until I put a rifle together.

Good work friend!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
thank you all for the kind words .

Yes sharpshooter the engraving is mine ..
I also believe I may have posted the bag over there . It was made by Allan Roberts, specifically for my Hudson Valley . My wife did the bead work on the strap .

Qtip

The Tulle from Dic at Pecatonica can be a very nice piece if done correctly .
I owned and shot one for years .
Then thing to remember though is that just like the ToW assembly , its just provides you with a base .
ToW has a set of plans for the fusil de chase as well . But if you are wanting to do one correctly then they also need to be changed a little. .
As of yet there isn�t anyone that I know of that sells the parts for a true representation .
But with some research you can work through that . The biggest issue is really the lock . But the Davis sells a lock that with some modifications to the pan , works very nicely .
But again it all depends on how accurate of a representation you want to get .

When I built my Tule some years ago , I chose iron hardware over brass . Not based on authenticity, mind you . Frankly that�s just what I wanted . Same goes with the Hudson Valley I posted . To be correct the gage should be much larger . The hardware should also be of brass not Damascus. The Tang is also way to long and thin .
But on that build I was not trying to be HC . I was building what I wanted for myself .

Here are some photos of my Tulle and a short video of me shooting it .
As a note . I found that shooting the tulle required a different hold then with any of my other rifles .
Also notice the recoil in the video seems excessive. The load that day was 80 grains of 3F with a wad and RB � I never really felt to much recoil in the gun .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[video:]http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/TMA/?action=view&current=Charlies_Tullie.mp4[/video]

speaking for myself though . i would have to say that one of the nicest shooting smoothies i have ever built . excluding SXS would have to be this type D Fusil .
Again though this piece is not HC . The customer has his own wants which were to be incorporated.
She was slim ,long and light . From the bench she patterned a 1 hole 3 shot group .

this actually was Freds first flintlock . i took photos of these targets the day i delivered it

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/storm011.jpg[/img]

first 3 shots from the bench 25 yards prior to bending the barrel
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/storm015.jpg[/img]

off hand at 50 and 75 yards after bending the barrel . as you can see he has alittle work to do on finding a load . but at 50 she was in the black . the 75 range is the the uper patern with the red marker dot as the target . at that range she was alittle low . but he was also again using only a 60 grain charge

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/storm016-1.jpg[/img]

one of these days ,im going to take things to the next step and do a fuse lock . i think that would be a kick in the pants laugh

Last edited by captchee; 01/31/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man,that is a really beautiful piece!! grin You do NICE work!!!

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.