Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan360
I think you should have at least two rifles with a tad bit of overlap. If one goes down for some reason, you're not out of the hunt.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Concentrate on what is "shootable",Placement,and Bullets...this is more important than caliber and raw horsepower.

I have known people(good friends) who relied on "horespower", and came home broken hearted from the Hunt of a Lifetime,because they put great bullets from howling magnums, into the wrong place.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CRS

Cartridge choice is secondary as there is a whole slew of them that will do the job. As much as we like to argue minutia, it really doesn't matter in the field.

More truth to that statement than most on the 'fire...

I�ve very often contemplated having just two rifles for all big game hunting (let�s say, everything above varmint-class�.deer and pronghorn up through elk and moose here and springbok on up to kudu/gemsbok/zebra in Africa). I�ve often thought, as well, that I�ve come up with the ultimate solution�at least several times. But then I start thinking again and decide I can do better.

I know I�m over-thinking it. There are many rifle/cartridge combinations that can do the jobs required. The minutiae of trying to prove one cartridge is better than another really is ridiculous, but we do it anyway. It�s even more ridiculous in light of recent bullet technology (read: BARNES) that make the old argument against light rounds (penetration) basically moot. I mean, an 85gr TSX shot out of a .243 can now be reliably expected to penetrate an elk to the vitals from almost any angle. That just wasn�t true of .243 bullets 25 years ago, but old habits and beliefs die hard. In fact, I can guarantee this thread will have several comments about �greater bullet weight is a better killer� when in reality, greater bullet construction is probably a far better consideration.

I�m concerned with recoil as I have some old injuries that make it nearly impossible for me to shoot big magnums comfortably. However, even if I didn�t have the injuries, I�ve come to the realization that with today�s bullets, you simply don�t need magnum power to kill the game animals we�re describing.

I believe a two-rifle battery should have a bit of overlap�just enough so one rifle could be a backup for the other if absolutely necessary, but not so much that you�d ever have much trouble determining which rifle would be best for any given job. For example, owning a .280 and a .30-06 would have so much overlap that there would be many instances where both rifles would do the job equally well, hence the owner would tend to reach for his �favorite� rather than considering the actual utility of each rifle. If the same owner had a .257 Bob and 9.3x62, there would be less �using the favorite� and more using each rifle for its intended purpose.

I�m very interested in what two rifle folks here would select. Of course, it depends on where and what each of us hunt, but getting ideas always helps. For a guy like me, I�d think a .25-06 or .270 Win is about perfect for the open country I hunt, and a short action sledgehammer like a stainless/synthetic .338 Federal is great for getting in the coastal rainforests and tiptoeing around for elk and blacktails and such. There is enough separation between the .25-06 and .338 Fed that I doubt I�d ever choose one over the other for the same job, but they could conceivably back each other up in a pinch. The line would blur a bit more with a .270 Win, but I think I�d still have a good two-rifle battery for what I like to do�.without excessive recoil and without excessive overlap.

So, my choices would be a 24" Winchester Model 70 Sporter in .270 Win (with Cerakote) and a 22" Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather re-bored to .338 Federal. The .270 shoots 130gr TSXs at everything and the .338 Fed shoots 185gr TSXs.

What say you all? What are your thoughts on a perfect two-rifle battery for big game?

PS: I�m assuming everyone owns a .223 so I�m not including �varmints� and lighter game or cheap, non-painful practice shooting in this scenario. This is strictly about non-dangerous game animals.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/31/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No big bears or DG in my hunting, just elk and smaller.

7mm RM
300 WM

In that order of preference.

Edited to add:

OK, for the picky, those are cartridges, not rifles.

Ruger M77 or MKII would suit me just fine and in fact that is what my 7mm RM and .300 WM are chambered in, respectfully.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/31/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
375H&H with 270gr TSX and 30.06 with 180 gr TSX

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Akin to picking two pairs of socks.

Ain't happenin',in my house................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
what the heck, I'll just vote for two of the ones I already have:

35 whelen and 6.5 swede

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any rifle you like with decent sights and chambered for any "modern" cartridge from .24 through .30, and another from .27 through .33. By "modern" I only mean post about-1900 smile

Helpful, huh? smile

Seriously, I think the hunter and the technique is more important than the tools...

-R44

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beware the Best Injun,with the Best Arrows.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Best injun do fine with any decent arrow. Poor injun still starve given best arrow ever made.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If limited to only 2 rifles for all my hunting needs from varmints to dangerous game I'll stick with my Win M70 30-06 and Win M70 375 H&H.

But the choice of only '2 rifles for everything' is more of a personal preference than anything else.

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Pre-64 M70s in 270 FW using 130 NP or BBC..and 375 using 250 and 275 BBC..

Last edited by ou76; 01/31/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
257 Wtby 100gr TSX

7.21 Tomahawk 140gr TSX

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Best injun do fine with any decent arrow. Poor injun still starve given best arrow ever made.

Never ain't not been interested in the whole cake and eating it too.

All of which is easily arranged.

Show me a guy with one or two rifles and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about same......................

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Never ain't not been interested in the whole cake and eating it too.

All of which is easily arranged.

Show me a guy with one or two rifles and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about same......................

You would be dead wrong there. Go back to Huntamerica.com and strike up a conversation with a guy named Meyrick who go's by the screen name "Herne" and hails from Dorsett U.K..He will prove your assumptions completely wrong beyond a shadow of doubt.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Kimber Montana .223 run out to AI and a CZ Safari .404 Jeffery

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rest assured,you impress far easier than I and have shot a whole lot less too.

If only for starters..............

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Rest assured,you impress far easier than I and have shot a whole lot less too.

If only for starters..............
You are full of more schitt than a christmas goose. The man owns two centerfire rifles and has killed more big game in a year than you and I likely will in a lifetime. I don't really care to argue the point, so if you have doubts, just do as I said and go strike up a conversation with the man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huntamerica ? That's the new home of Lee24 aka LeeinSC.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell yourself whatever it takes.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is gonna get funny ..... and then sad .... I'll stop reading when we get to sad

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Tell yourself whatever it takes.................
You too dipschitt.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (222Sako, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 3040Krag, 41 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.