Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one of these, with the original motor, which is Tecumseh. These machines were built to be rebuilt, so any horizontal shaft motor ought to line right up, or the flat mounting plate will allow for easy bolt pattern modification.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a number of tecumseh's over the years and I've NEVER had one with a decent carb. It was a constant fight to keep them adjusted. The engines lasted a long time, though, because you couldn't keep them running long enough to wear them out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I can find a Honda engine I'll do that in a heartbeat. I need to get my hands on the tiller and take some measurements.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffG
I have one of these, with the original motor, which is Tecumseh. These machines were built to be rebuilt, so any horizontal shaft motor ought to line right up, or the flat mounting plate will allow for easy bolt pattern modification.

Troy Horse does NOT have a "Flat Plate" mount. The engines have to have a Timing Cover Bolt pattern and "hub"

Can one (a flat plate Mount) be fitted, ...Yes, of course.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You're very welcome Cross. Glad I could help.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mike762
Mickey,
What exactly is wrong with the motor? You can still get rebuild kits for most motors, and it might be a good way to go.

Another option is a Chang Fa Chinese clone of a diesel Yanmar. You can pick up those for around $500 in the crate, and it should bolt right up. Better gph and longevity over gas, and is worth considering.

Never knew that option existed. If I could put a diesel on it that would be neat. I use off road diesel for my tractor. smile

No idea what is wrong with the engine. Have not seen the tiller yet. He's going to try to locate it for me.

Thanks to all of you. This is a great place to find help from a world of friends. As Ralph Kramden would tell Alice, "You're the greatest!"

Last edited by MColeman; 01/31/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcp
I've got two Troy-Bilts with Tecumseh engines and carb problems.

Anyone converted to propane as a solution?

Bruce

I dunno, but this sure would be worth checking out, wouldn't it ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FVA
I don't think TB ever built their own engine. There should be a bolt on replacement available, perhaps from more than one maker even.
Seems they usually have a Briggs or Kohler in the old models, Hondas on some of the later models.

This is correct.

It's probably a Briggs, although possibly a Tecumseh, in which case you may have a problem since Tecumseh is out of business now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"As far as mounting holes go you can make your own if they do not line up."

UH, excuse me ....?

GTC

So you never heard of weld and drill.half the chit I do on my Big Tractors is modified some way or it would not run.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1978 7HP Troy-Bilt Horse model has the original Kohler K161T. It starts and runs perfect, and yours could again too with a modest amount of TLC, provided you don't need too many of the expensive parts, like the crank, block, rod, etc. Ebay has a pretty fair selection usually

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is a site I like to visit. Lots of good info and suggestions related to small engines. Good luck getting it going.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/index.php

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hello Mickey,

Once the unit is "located" and you have a chance to see it, pull off the model, spec., and serial number. They will be located on the rewind/starter/fan housing...either stamped into the metal or on a tag. The most likely spot will be on the housing by the spark plug or just on one side or the other at 90 degrees to the plug. These will offer crank diameter, mounting height, starter information and more when matched.

PM me these and I will find the correct replacement Briggs and Honda engine's model and or part number for you. If I can come up with something without that I'll PM you...all of course if you like.

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a TB "Bronco" (found out why they named it that) a while back for $20. Took it over to the local Lawn mower repair shop. They checked it out and $80 later I was bronc bustin the back yard. They rebuilt the carb and stuck a few other new dodads on it. When you get it you might get the carb checked out before you go spending a lot of $$$$ getting a new engine. If the engine still turns it might be ok.

Good luck.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Micky, I have a 6HP with Tecumseh engine and the modern gasoline with ethanol is a killer on small engines. If you have a riding mower, just look at the fuel filter and it will be brown after no time. B&S makes a good additive to fight this. Anyway, you can get a replacement from small engine warehouse or from northern hydraulics. My T-B with the Tecumseh is a pain. One day runs fine, next day I have to fiddle with the carb. It's a 74 model and I rebuilt the carb and it ran fine until I had the engine overhauled and the guy put his magic touch on the carb. I still have the T-B but I bought a Cub Cadet (not as rugged as the T-B) a couple of years ago but at least it has a Honda engine. I hope you get it fixed. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This one should bolt right on. Supposedly you can till 20 acres in about 5 minutes.

[Linked Image]

Ah yes the Binford 7000 S version of the Troy-Bilt.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you need parts, try here: www.jackssmallengines.com

I do small engine repair and order all of my parts from them. They are anywhere from 10-30% cheaper than a lot of places. Ship fast, and decent to deal with.

They also have an excellent parts look-up on the website.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by burner
If you need parts, try here: www.jackssmallengines.com

I do small engine repair and order all of my parts from them. They are anywhere from 10-30% cheaper than a lot of places. Ship fast, and decent to deal with.

They also have an excellent parts look-up on the website.

Thanks, Burner. I'll bookmark their site.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by bcp
I've got two Troy-Bilts with Tecumseh engines and carb problems.

Anyone converted to propane as a solution?

Bruce

I dunno, but this sure would be worth checking out, wouldn't it ?

GTC

I'd hate to run a tiller with a 100 gallon propane tank on it. Too heavy. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, but a bank of 2-3 of those little Bernzomatic style tanks could be recharged off of ones larger tank.
I'd note that they are fitting up some smaller garden implements for the stuff so......?

I do think it's an interesting idea.

Like Model70man I'm having that same "on again , off again" B.S. with my Techumseh engine / carb.

GTC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.