Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm down to those two. It's not a cost issue, I've got enough "on account" at the gun shop from consignments to cover either.

I'm plenty familiar with S&W revolvers. My ol' 629 was no fun to shoot so I don't think the 329PD is going to be any better.

However, I don't know much about the Taurus guns, nothing firsthand. How well do the ports and the rubber grips handle recoil? How accurate are they in general? How much louder are they?

I know the S&W is a hair lighter, but maybe not enough to offset the ammo weight difference. Depends on how much I carry I guess. I have an idea the Taurus 5-shot cylinder might make it more concealable than the bulkier S&W 6 shot cylinder. Pretty sure the S&W will have a better trigger. I don't like the S&W fiber optic sights, those would have to be replaced.

What other factors am I overlooking?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What about the S&W M-357 in 41 mag? It is the same material as the M-329

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are used to S&W quality I think you will be disappointed in the Taurus. I have a Taurus .38 that I carry when bowhunting and backpacking, but it is now where near the quality, fit, finish, accuracy, everthing but price of my S&W. I plan to trade it for a S&W M-60 someday.
Did you ever try your 629 w/ 8gr of unique and 240gr lead slugs. That is fun.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What do you mean by "packing revolver"? Concealed carry round town, or is this for while backpacking out in the boonies?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ruger Alaskan?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have the Taurus. in .41. It is ported and is loud. But it is wonderfully accurate with everything I have run through it and the trigger is great. Better than Dr. Ken Howell said it would be. Can't imagine the Smith will be any better. I did replace the Taurus 'ribber' grips with a set of Hogue's. Much better in my opinion.

I have several Taurus pistols and have been well pleased with them all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally would go the Smith & Wesson route! I am sure it is of better quality than the Taurus you mentioned. Now a .44 or 41 mag caliber is NOT a CCW type of a tool and carrying one for 8 hours can be a hassel with the weight and barrel length.

Now even a 4 inch barrel in those mags is going to cause you a lot of muzzle blast and muzzle jump. I suggest if you want power in a "carry pistol" to check out the Glock in a 10mm caliber = 750-lbs energy and easy to shoot with much less recoil period.

You can also go the .357 mag route and shoot .38+P ammo for CCW use and mag ammo for the woods. All this in a 3 inch revolver carry pistol, Hogue rubber grips make it easy to shoot.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Find you a Smith 4 inch Model 19 or 66 357 MAG and you will have about the best you can buy for your needs.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think your resale would be better on the S&W.

I also note that there is now a 325 model, in .45 ACP. That's probably a much easier round to handle in that revolver than the .44 mag. I'd have to shoot mid-range loads in the 329, I am afraid.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tonk
I personally would go the Smith & Wesson route! I am sure it is of better quality than the Taurus you mentioned. Now a .44 or 41 mag caliber is NOT a CCW type of a tool and carrying one for 8 hours can be a hassel with the weight and barrel length.

Now even a 4 inch barrel in those mags is going to cause you a lot of muzzle blast and muzzle jump. I suggest if you want power in a "carry pistol" to check out the Glock in a 10mm caliber = 750-lbs energy and easy to shoot with much less recoil period.

You can also go the .357 mag route and shoot .38+P ammo for CCW use and mag ammo for the woods. All this in a 3 inch revolver carry pistol, Hogue rubber grips make it easy to shoot.

If one has a problem with a S&W 41 mag I seriously doubt that 10mm is going to solved the recoil muzzle blast delima. I find the 41 mag a pleasure to shoot and a hell of a lot more gun than a 357 mag

FPE is a rather poor way to rate terminal performance or to rate lethality

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a S&W 329PD and think that is might be the best 44 Special that I've ever owned. The recoil is a little rough with firewalled 44 Mag loads, but the grips for the S&W 500 really tame the recoil. Did I say that the 329PD is an awesome 44 Special revolver?

I do carry an inexpensive Rossi 720 more than I carry the S&W 329PD, but only because I am prone to lose things and I'm shooting snake shot far more often than I'm shooting ball ammo. If I lived in bear/couger/drugdealer country, I'd carry the S&W 329PD with heavy 44 Special or light 44 Magnum load with a bullet in the 240 to 300 grain range.

I have seen used 4" stainless Taurus Trackers in 41 and 44 Mag in excellent condition around Omaha for $300+/- within the past 60 days and did seriously think about buying the 44, but then decided "why bother?".

JEff

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If your 629 was "no fun to shoot," either of those guns would be much worse with full power ammo.
Do you really need that much power ? I'd seriously consider a .45 Auto Rim, or a .44 Special in that weight range. Even a .357.
I've owned and shot the .44 Mag quite a bit since 1967. I still have and shoot my old 4 inch 29. Frankly, my 24 oz., M60 Smith .357 is harder on me than my old 29. Weight makes a huge difference here.
From my own experiences, a decent 250 gr. 44-45 caliber bullet at 950-1000 fps will do great things against alot of threats.
Or you could buy the one you like and load it down. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I wanted an S&W for personal defense in the back country and Grizzlies weren't a problem I'd go with a 625 from the performance center.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Jeff says, the 329PD sucks with mags, but is about the perfect .44 Special. Don't underestimate the Taurus. Overall it's not as nice as the S&W, but don't be surprised if it's more accurate; that's one department where Taurus thrives.

That's really a tough call, because both are very nice guns. The S&W has the internal lock, which has caused problems on very light guns with heavy recoil. Taurus has had no such problems, so if I were in a place where I would have to trust my life on one of those two guns, I think I'd trust my life to the Taurus before the S&W. Hey, Taurus also makes a large frame ultralight .44 to compete with the 329 PD. The blued one's are ugly, but the stainless one's look pretty good. Just ditch the grips for something less hideous and you're GTG.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The current gun in this niche is a short Super Blackhawk. I want to lose some weight without losing noticeable punch.

Tom

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
If I wanted an S&W for personal defense in the back country and Grizzlies weren't a problem I'd go with a 625 from the performance center.

Black bears and livestock. Our bears aren't very big but a nitwit lit into one a couple years ago with a 1911 and got his ass chewed most seriously. So ... no. Some years back we had a bull that got a little ... pushy. Dad plugged him. Our neighbor's scale read a c-hair over 2600 pounds. Try taking that on with a .45 ACP. I'd a LOT rather have a rifle, but where I run into the livestock, I'm already packin' a varmint rifle and I just can't pack 2 rifles at once.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Do you really need that much power ?

Actually, need more, but there's nothing "bigger" that doesn't go way up in weight.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The current gun in this niche is a short Super Blackhawk. I want to lose some weight without losing noticeable punch.

Tom

I think your question really boils down to how much you want to spend. The Smith will run you at least twice as much dinero. I personally think the Taurus is better looking too. YMMV on that score. They are both fine weapons by all accounts. I am not looking to get rid of my Mountain Gun.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use to carry a long barrel 629 but now carry a 329. The recoil is impressive but not excessive. I doubt I would notice it if something big and toothy was coming my way. It is a joy to carry and goes with me almost everywhere I go outdoors.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a 329 also and am in your shoes when it comes to livestock and Bears. I have yet to use it on either but it would not surprise me in the least to use it on either within the next year. The 329 is a sure joy to carry!! You will probably not shoot it a ton with full powerhouse loads but is more than managable with 44 special loads. I am not a Taurus fan at all but have looked at the 41 mag a lot! If I could find a 357PD in 41 mag that was not crazy in the price dept I would buy it too. The scandium frame is nice when it is time to carry!!

Rick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 48 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.