Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rman
A 15 yard penalty in a Superbowl for a dirty hit would be beyond stupid.

R.

Maybe to us it's stupid, but if you can knock the star RB or QB out of the game with a concusion, it greatly ups your odds of winning the game.

Camp is where you make it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the NFL is serious about preventing cheap shots, they need to take a lesson from soccer. The 1st time, the player gets a yellow card. The 2d time, he gets a red card and is out of the game. HE CAN NOT BE REPLACED AND THE TEAM PLAYS SHORT THE REMAINDER OF THE GAME. In some leagues, the player also has to sit out the next game.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Really, that's pretty bushleague if they do have that pool.

If the players pitched in money ahead of time with the anticipation of making dirty hits and incurring fines, that would constitute a pool.

But chipping in afterwards to help a teammate who got fined, which again, is what it sounds like the quote suggests, just doesn't seem quite as nefarious.

But, as I said before, if you are looking for a reason to get all up in arms, you can pretend it says whatever you want.

Last edited by RufusG; 02/03/11. Reason: clarificiation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If the NFL is serious about preventing cheap shots, they need to take a lesson from soccer. The 1st time, the player gets a yellow card. The 2d time, he gets a red card and is out of the game. HE CAN NOT BE REPLACED AND THE TEAM PLAYS SHORT THE REMAINDER OF THE GAME. In some leagues, the player also has to sit out the next game.

There are two reasons that is a terrible idea.

The first is that the level of acceptable violence is so completely different in the two sports, that there is a lot more subjectivity involved in identifying a cheap shot in football than in soccer.

The second, and probably more crucial reason is that football is a more tactically evolved sport, as opposed to guys running around in shorts, and the game would basically be over at the point it becomes 11 on 10, whereas in soccer, this is not necessarily the case.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor the player I heard on the radio saying he would hug the opposing player and put them on a pillow when he tackles? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RufusG

The first is that the level of acceptable violence is so completely different in the two sports, that there is a lot more subjectivity involved in identifying a cheap shot in football than in soccer.

The second, and probably more crucial reason is that football is a more tactically evolved sport, as opposed to guys running around in shorts, and the game would basically be over at the point it becomes 11 on 10, whereas in soccer, this is not necessarily the case.

I said "if the NFL is serious". Fines aren't getting the job done and this would. Whether the fans like it or not appears to be irrelevant to the NFL.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TexasRick
This thread reeks with the odor of used kotex.....what a bunch of wimps. IT'S FOOTBALL.....it's suppose to hurt when you play a contact sport!!

Do you cheer when a player gets carted off the field on an emergency stretcher in a neckbrace too?

There's HUGE difference between hard hitting and dirty hitting.

Going full bore and planting your shoudler right into the chest of the oncoming ball carrier and taking him right off his feet (a 'de-cleater' we called it) is hard hitting football. I'm all for it.

Going full bore torpedoing your head directly at the head of the oncoming player is not football. That's head hunting.

They outlawed chop blocks for a reason too....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/03/11.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by skywalker
I don't think there is a single player today who could have played in the 60's-70's.........

Today's QB's would shyt themselves back then, but many of today's defensive players would have scared the hell out of offenses back then.

Today's players are faster, stronger and hit a lot harder than those of yesteryear, only the WR's and QB's have become coddled.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I think football is tactically a far cry from soccer; and the reason for yellow/red card is that soccer players have no protective gear. There is more finesse used/required.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The reason for yellow/red cards in soccer is because if the players were REAL men.....they'd be playing football in the first place.

Soccer is a communist plot to lure our athletes away from real sports.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lol TR

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I said "if the NFL is serious". Fines aren't getting the job done and this would. Whether the fans like it or not appears to be irrelevant to the NFL.

The NFL is only serious about covering their ass and making sure someone else gets blamed if something goes wrong. So they make a stink and fine players. As long as football players have their heads attached in relative proximity to their shoulders, there will be helmet to helmet contact, there is simply no way to prevent it, and anyone who thinks there is is just not thinking clearly. One of the hits Harrison got fined for this year he went in low. After Harrison was committed, the runner bent way over. Voila! Helmet to helmet. WTF was Harrison supposed to do? Ask the runner where he was going to put his head? The NFL is making bazillions off violence, and wants to pretend its someone else's fault when it all goes wrong.

Last edited by RufusG; 02/03/11. Reason: spellin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I seriously doubt that the Steelers will be the only ones doing any hitting on Sunday. Clay Mathews has been doing that from the first minute of game 1 when he face-planted Kevin Kolb. I think he left the field with half of it in his helmet.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One of the hits Harrison got fined for this year he went in low. After Harrison was committed, the runner bent way over. Oila! Helmet to helmet. WTF was Harrison supposed to do? Ask the runner where he was going to put his head?

Excuse me for bothering you, but I see you do have the ball. Would it be a bother if I were to impede your forward progress a bit? Be a good man and keep your chin up. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Is Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor the player I heard on the radio saying he would hug the opposing player and put them on a pillow when he tackles? smile

That was Rodney Harrison, the guy who's been fined quite a bit this year.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Quit hating. I hear a lot of horseshit on the internet but I sure as hell don't go around repeating it as gospel.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There have been a host of techniques that have been banned from football over the years. All designed to increase players chances of staying healthy.

Early players didn't wear helmets, or pads either. The facemask must have ended toughness in the sport as well (kinda like baseball players adopting a glove). Sure as ice freezes, you'll get a chirping chorus of voices "couldn't have played twenty-years ago", or "pusifying the sport".

Yeah, right.

So, bring it Mr. Pillow-Man, or Harry Son (or whatever his name is). My answer, 32-Power (grin).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Boy is the room full of no nothing couch coaches. How many of you have run full speed and hit somebody? High school---college ? I played football from age 10 -20 and trust me, helmet to helmet collisions are UNAVOIDABLE!! The penalty used to be called SPEARING---leading with your helmet. Now its some call by some jerk watching slow motion and handing out fines for a great hit. I hope Harrison and the Steelers destroy the Packers. Just for the satisfaction of you haters.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Helmet-to-helmet is only a penalty against defenseless recievers, or QB's - so yeah, there's plenty of no-nothing to go around.

I hope the Packers run the 32-power (that'll be 'bout 650# of blocker, and a tick over 500# of back), right at Mr. Pillow.

Oh, that scheme is from Edgar Bennett, current backs coach, and long time back for the Pack, so I think he's nearly qualified.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
google mike webster

here

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.