Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Have any of you'll ever tried any Patagonia clothing and if so how does it rate in comparison to Sitka and Under Armor? thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They seem to be Anti-firearm/Pro-green movement/pro-animal rights. Thats enough for me not to be interested in their product.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
R1 Hoody rocks. Capiline is good stuff.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RUMlover
They seem to be Anti-firearm/Pro-green movement/pro-animal rights...

Got any real proof of that?

Just because they are pro-habitat conservation and "green" in terms of how they run their company, does not mean they are anti-hunting.

Last edited by jim62; 02/05/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They dont sell their goods at stores that sell firearms. Thats pretty good proof to me. I did see where they had released a couple of womens hoodies through cabelas website though.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
nevermind

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like the stuff. I've a Micro Puff (coat and vest), DAS, a couple R4 and misc. long john top & bottoms.

All of it but the long johns have been bought off the web at very good prices.

I'm sure a real backpacking expert could chime in an add more to this if you posted in that forum.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
R1 hoody and Micro Puff gear is good gear.But must admit I'd probably be happy with Cabela's camo crap if I was shooting pigs in Texas.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My son sent back a 20-year-old pair of water-proof pants that he got from my brother ($200 originally), with torn knees from snow-boarding. They sent him a brand new pair of $250 water-proof pants.

That's pretty good follow-through on their guarantee.

Last edited by JeffG; 02/20/11.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I like the stuff. I've a Micro Puff (coat and vest), DAS, a couple R4 and misc. long john top & bottoms.

Have almost all of that stuff too and agree.

If you're looking base layers, it's Patagonia Capilene over Under Armor any day of the week. I no longer own Under Armor anything. That said, the Capilene will still get stinky (problem with any synthetic) - just less so than UA.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
From Patagonia, I�ve purchased Capilene bodywear, Synchilla jackets and outer shells for mountaineering. The most versatile clothing has been the Capilene and Synchilla clothing when used as the inner layers. I like Patagonia�s outerwear for skiing and hiking. However, I believe that its synthetic shells are too noisy for stalking game.

Patagonia has excellent service. I�ve purchased factory seconds at a discount by calling the factory store, providing my size and waiting for a call back when the item is available.

I appreciate Patagonia�s environmentalism if that is the image we are perceiving. Even hunting areas need to be preserved for our children to enjoy.

J
jnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
how do you''ll layer with patagonia and camo? I'm from the south and layering is something we only do with rain gear?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Their stuff is excellent. I have a ton of it and it has never let me down. What other clothing products give you a life time guarantee? Not any I can think of. I have long underwear that is over 20 years old that has seen hard use.

F
F
I have been very impressed with my Dimension softshell. I like their products for the most part because most are much more technical than most hunting brands.

As far as them being anti guns/hunting, I can't attest to that, but they do make products for the military.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a fair amount of Paty wear. I think they put out a pretty outstanding product...and they stand behind it.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by jnoel
how do you''ll layer with patagonia and camo? I'm from the south and layering is something we only do with rain gear?

My first two layers are comprised of Patagonia Capilene underwear and a Patagonia Synchilla jacket. Depending on the weather, the Capilene underwear or long johns can be thin or thick. For skiing, my third layer is a Patagonia shell jacket and powderpants.

For hunting, I prefer a third layer that is quieter than a synthetic shell. My hunting pants are normally a cotton military surplus camo. My outer jacket is either a cotton military surplus camo shirt with an orange vest or a 60/40 orange rainshell that is 60% cotton and 40% polyester.

Since I hunt in Colorado, layering is needed for warmth. In the south, I would be tempted to hunt in simpler but quieter clothing and keep raingear in the backpack.

M
M
I've a variety of Patagonia gear and,
regardless of politics, it is some of the best gear that I own.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't believe Patagonia is anti-hunting. I own a t-shirt of theirs that says "Live Simply" with a deer on it, which I take to mean "eat deer". They could have a different opinion, of course. And I've been in several stores that sold both firearms and Patagonia clothing.

I own many pieces of Patagonia clothing, and they are generally excellent. I have R1s that are 8 years old and still function as well as new, though they look old. I have an R4 that is 6 years old that is tattered but is still the warmest lightweight jacket I have ever worn.

If Patagonia made their clothing in camo, it would be all I wore hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have bought and hunted in Patagonia stuff for years. Originally bought it for skiing. It is outstanding stuff. It is tough as nails, highly functional, and most certainly effective. I have a Puffball pullover that will change your life as a mid-level layer. Their base layer stuff is great.

Regarding the anti-hinting....this might be a tad on the tacky side, but that just makes me want to wear it more, if it is true. I love pictures of a dead animal wearing Patagonia stuff. Makes me want to email a pic to Patagonia. cool

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used to give a friend of mine a hard time for his "yuppie" Patagonia layers/shells. That was back in the 80s before I owned any. Since then I've picked up several pieces for hiking, snowshoeing, skiing,... and they work equally as well for hunting and fishing. My original Synchilla Snap-T has to be 15 years old and while it has some battle scars from campfires it is still going strong, not frayed or holes in the elbows like some other designated hunting clothes I have. I've picked up some stuff in the Alpha Green color from their military production run and use that hunting. It's quality gear that works (at least for me) and now we have companies like Sitka and Kuiu making hunting gear similar to the top mountaineering clothing makers. The fit is much less baggy and it sure beats getting all lathered up and then freezing when you stop.

As far as anti hunting I haven't gotten that impression. Only time I've heard that is reading it on various forums from some members who feel that is their stance. Patagonia certainly isn't anti fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.