Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Any experience with the 6.5 123 or 139 Scenars?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A more approp. title would have been Sierra has lost the hunting market.

They obviously don't give a schit about the hunting market, which tells me, as JB pointed out, the target and varmint market is all they care about.

Still, losing market share in your business is never a good thing.

Staying stagnant is also not a good thing. I say it will eventually catch up with them.

I could be wrong....I was wrong once I think...

Tony

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WillFish

The 123 rates building a rifle around.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hicountry
A more approp. title would have been Sierra has lost the hunting market.

They obviously don't give a schit about the hunting market, which tells me, as JB pointed out, the target and varmint market is all they care about.

Still, losing market share in your business is never a good thing.

Staying stagnant is also not a good thing. I say it will eventually catch up with them.

I could be wrong....I was wrong once I think...

Tony

Sierra was tough to whoop for a good while...but them days is long gone.

Hornady has made the most amazing about face in the Industry and is to be commended for same. They've looked forward down the road and Sierra is gawking behind themelves perpetually.

That never don't get costly..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The 123 rates building a rifle around.

Hint................

Think 1 in 10 will stabilize a 123 going around 3200fps?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not craft a 6.5 less than 9".....................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Savage99,
My highpower days are over. Aged 56 and the eyes are not up to it anymore. Iron sights and old men are not a good combo.
We still have a 1000 yd range in our state.
F class is the game for us old farts. Using a scope does seem like cheating though. grin
I just don't see any point in mudslinging. Any shots not in the aiming black can't be blamed on me shooting Sierras IMO.
They are plenty good for deer hunting as far as I'm concerned.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Fotis
I think they have missed the boat on premiums....

I don't think they're missing any boat......

Really? What premiums do they make if some one is shopping for some?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used the SMK's on mule deer and elk and they all died, but the bullet usually always came apart.

Never used the Scenars and just wondered how they were better.

Scenars are just for paper punching and never for game, they have less expansion than fmj's.
I have several gong's made of Hardox500 steel without hardly even a scratch after thousands of rounds fired at them, one has a hole in it that mic's at .338 made by a 250gr Scenar.....zero expansion !!!!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't think that they care if anyone is looking for premiums or not. They don't care because that is not the market they are working to serve.

They are content and successful making what they make. Good for them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

They are content and successful making what they make.

1950's technology c&c bullets. WOW. Ground breaking.
Sure if one can settle for that then They are top notch. The best at it! Not too many things come apart like a gameking! grin

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God invented the 257Wby and 100SGK's for felines atop fenceposts..............(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or prairie dingos........

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I've used the SMK's on mule deer and elk and they all died, but the bullet usually always came apart.

Scenars are just for paper punching and never for game, they have less expansion than fmj's.
I have several gong's made of Hardox500 steel without hardly even a scratch after thousands of rounds fired at them, one has a hole in it that mic's at .338 made by a 250gr Scenar.....zero expansion !!!!!!!

Never hunted with 250 Scenars have you? I assure you they expand.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Performance on steel doesn't correlate well with performance on game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Okay, without reading through eight pages...Sierra is one of the most accurate bullets available, and I shoot them, especially the .224 diameter ones. Next, the Sierra Game King soft point and hollow point are more than adequate for deer-sized game at normal velocities, so for my hunting and target needs they are fine.

Nothing wrong with something that works. You tailor the bullet to the job at hand. If you are going after heavier game, get a more expensive premium to gain the penetration, confidence, performance etc. needed. Sierra has lost nothing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good point.
I get my Sierra bullets from a high master who orders big drop shipments. I almost forgot they are sold in stores. grin
I used to get small amounts from Midway until they started charging for shipping.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JStor
Okay, without reading through eight pages...Sierra is one of the most accurate bullets available, and I shoot them, especially the .224 diameter ones. Next, the Sierra Game King soft point and hollow point are more than adequate for deer-sized game at normal velocities, so for my hunting and target needs they are fine.

Nothing wrong with something that works. You tailor the bullet to the job at hand. If you are going after heavier game, get a more expensive premium to gain the penetration, confidence, performance etc. needed. Sierra has lost nothing.

I'd say in fairness that the .224" lineup is Sierra's weakest link. Would also state that few things is more zookie than a SGK.

The fair statement is "Sierra has improved nothing". That being said,I hope they turn the corner,becauseCompetition is that which do the Consumer the most favors...................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Never hunted with 250 Scenars have you? I assure you they expand.

rosco1, I would love to hear your hunting experience with these bullet's. I assure you they dont expand.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick,

How could the .224 lineup be considered the weakest link when they work just fine? On paper they give excellent five shot groups or ten shot groups or forty shot groups, and when they hit the varmint the animal is deader than a stump.

("Sierra has improved nothing.") I guess I don't see why they should improve what already works well, just because a number of internet folks start a discussion on it. We have a vast choice of bullets, so if someone deems the Sierra products as unacceptable, there are plenty of premiums with premium prices, plus there are plenty of other manufacturers with the standard cup and core construction...that work.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

743 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.