Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The big gun shop I was in this week had very few Sierra bullets. They had rows and rows of Hornady and other brands including a large selection of bulk bullets.

When I started out reloading in the 50's Sierra was the talk of the town. I shot them for game, pests and target.

Recently a rifle was not shooting well and drastic changes in loading technique were tried. I saw an old box of Sierras and thought: "Heck I might as well shoot these up, at least Sierras shoot."

Sierra is a good old company that has lost the market. Is there any hope? What should they do? Do they care? Now that lead is under attack I wonder.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One customer, one store, one observation. ???????

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Many stores, many observations, one customer.

Also I don't hear much Sierra chatter on the forums. Its Barnes, Berger, Hornady etc.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I see that too. I always thought that the two groups that made sierra money were varmit and target crowds. I have no idea what the varmit guys shoot, but 20 years ago when I shot some target it was all Sierra and some of those guys went through more bullets than 50 hunters would have in a year. Now days there are a lot of accurate, high BC bullets and though I no longer hang out in those circles I suspect its not all matchking like it once was.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have chatted with a tech at Sierra for years. They just recently got caught up on their inventory.

Still not near enough for a concrete answer IMO !!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sierra is doing just fine. Big game bullets have always been a relatively small part of their market. The biggie for them is target shooting, with varmints second, and there's been a big increase in both markets in recent years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I spoke with my friend Carroll Pilant at SHOT and asked why they had no new products this year. He said, "Because we're already running the production line at maximum capacity with our established bullets. When would we make something new?"

They're shipping them as fast as they can make them. If you don't see them on shelves, it's possibly because people are buying them equally as fast.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Plus, many shooters who use LOTS of bullets (which describes target and varmint shooters) tend to buy in bulk via mail-order. So the bullets they buy don't ever show up in stores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was thinking the same as the OP about Speer bullets. Speers are hard to find in the gun shops and online sources I frequent. Lots of Hornady stuff to be had. I can't find Speer bullets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At SHOT, I ask every manufacturer the same question or two. This year, I was struck by the relative lack of new products, so that's what I asked about. Almost every company gave one or both of two answers: We decided not to risk much R&D money in the current economy OR We are producing at capacity and simply can't make new products without decreasing the supply of high-demand ones.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All good and valid observations above.

A company can indeed maximize profit with an old investment. Its a right answer.

However in my world Sierra seemed big and then when controlled expanding bullets, plastic meplats and partitions came out they ignored them.

They lost me when, it seemed to me, that they did not put the plastic metlats on bullets until after Nosler did.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is nothing better for free enterprise than healthy competition between companies that produce the same goods. Now we have Ballistic Tips, V-Max, and Blitz Kings.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sierra, Speer and Hornady all keep canceling the bullets I like from their production lines. My old school thinking and lives, don't jive with the current trends of other varminters and hunters.

" new and improved" sells... time proven doesn't...

Although the distance game is traditionally taken at hasn't changed... people's thoughts on needing a bullet and caliber that can 'take game at 500 yds' the size of a truck...

or 1000 yd prairie dog capabilities is what too much of the market wants, so that is what is catered to....

I've been by Sierra's plant, Speers, Nosler's and Hornady's..
the one that was focused on expanding their physical size was Hornady....

I always thought it was ironic, that as the number of bullet company's increase and their lines expand as people are supposedly shooting more...that the number of companies making powder has decreased... even tho more and more 'types' of powder are becoming available... almost all distributed by a company that doesn't make powder, just distributes it..Hodgdon.

Myself, I think more folks would buy Sierra Bullets if they were lower in price, but they are always the highest price of generic bullets eg: non premium..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like sierra bullets and want to get some for my 6.8 but haven't yet. Wish I would have. I usually load blitzking in my 22-250 but couldn't get them at the local store so I went for 52gr. a-max. Sucks wish I could have just stayed with the blitzkings but I haven't shot the hornady yet.

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sierra is doing just fine. Big game bullets have always been a relatively small part of their market. The biggie for them is target shooting, with varmints second, and there's been a big increase in both markets in recent years.
spot on i live about 120 miles from ther plant and shoot with some of there techs. i alone will shoot (HP shilhoutte 6.5 142mk) more bullets in a years time than most big game hunters will ever and alot of shilhoutte shooters will do the same thats not even as many people a the bench crowd! alot of this crowd still shoot sierra too.

O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The big gun shop I was in this week had very few Sierra bullets. They had rows and rows of Hornady and other brands including a large selection of bulk bullets.

When I started out reloading in the 50's Sierra was the talk of the town. I shot them for game, pests and target.

Recently a rifle was not shooting well and drastic changes in loading technique were tried. I saw an old box of Sierras and thought: "Heck I might as well shoot these up, at least Sierras shoot."

Sierra is a good old company that has lost the market. Is there any hope? What should they do? Do they care? Now that lead is under attack I wonder.

I'm not thinking they have lost the market. There is a much bigger market now than 12 years or so ago. There are also many more players. It would be interesting to see the real numbers for a comparison. I don't feel the Sierra is as price competative as they once were.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have not bought a Sierra bullet in a store in years and years. They rarely have them in lots of 1K+ and that's how I buy them.
I don't care if they increase capacity or not, as long as they keep their QC where it's at.

Aim for the exit hole.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sierra is a good old company that has lost the market.

I don't think so...

Also I don't hear much Sierra chatter on the forums. Its Barnes, Berger, Hornady etc.

You mean on THIS forum. Guys here tend to get in a rut of following certain trends. One of the trends here is Barnes. That's not everywhere.

Kind of like your one man/one shop observation on bullets, you're basing that on a one forum observation.

Big game bullets have always been a relatively small part of their market. The biggie for them is target shooting, with varmints second,

Very true. I shoot a lot more bullets at paper and groundhogs than I do deer. The vast majority of those shot are MatchKings.

Plus, many shooters who use LOTS of bullets (which describes target and varmint shooters) tend to buy in bulk via mail-order. So the bullets they buy don't ever show up in stores.

Also true. The High Power guys at my club make a bulk buy drop shipped direct from Sierra. We need a minimum $5000 per order. There are "multiple" buys per year....

I have not bought a Sierra bullet in a store in years and years. They rarely have them in lots of 1K+ and that's how I buy them.

See my comment above. Mine usually come in boxes of 500 at a time, and there will be multiples of those in the box that I get. A typical buy for me in that group buy is usually between 2000 and 4000 bullets. Can't remember the last bullets I bought in a store.

I don't care if they increase capacity or not, as long as they keep their QC where it's at.

Big +1 on that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Five years ago I was buying several thousand sierra bullets a year. I have not bought any in at least 3 years, and still have 500-1000 (6.5s) of the sierras sitting in the shop. I started liking bergers and hornady bullets better.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hornady used to have factory rejects available for purchase, and I think they still have. I was never aware of Sierra having factory rejects for sale. It always bothered me hornady had so many reject to sell while the other manufactures did not. It has always seemed to me that Sierra consistently for years have had the most accurate, repeatable bullets available from a large manufacturer.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
All good and valid observations above.

A company can indeed maximize profit with an old investment. Its a right answer.

However in my world Sierra seemed big and then when controlled expanding bullets, plastic meplats and partitions came out they ignored them.

They lost me when, it seemed to me, that they did not put the plastic metlats on bullets until after Nosler did.

Well, did everyone lose you because no mainstream bullet company used resin tips until after Nosler....?

If you talk to anyone that works for Sierra and tell them they have "lost the market", they'd get a good chuckle.
I also think some of those other companies you mention would be searching for a newer (and probably an inferior) source for competition bullet jackets...

I think your idea of success for Sierra is something they have wisely avoided..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lost the market? Nah. I think it was the Obamarama craze, caught everyone by surprise. Here in Montana, primer supplies are finally stabilizing, but the prices still stink.

I still shoot Blitz Kings because in certain of my toys, BKs shoot the best and blow up the best.

As for Hornady's "rejects," I have made two buys of them and they have shot just as well as first-order bullets for me.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

I've used Sierra for over 30 years and still do. One of the reasons I stay with Sierra is they still offer lead tip Spitzer style bullets. I've tried the plastic tip bullets and just haven't found them to be as deadly as the lead tips. I have always counted on the Sierra lead tips to give me one shot kills on varmints, something I can't say about the plastic stuff.

I do shoot plastic tips but I don't prefer them. My least favorite varmint bullet is a hollow point. In my opinion you never know what an hp is going to do so I quit using them a long time ago.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by foogle
Hornady used to have factory rejects available for purchase, and I think they still have. I was never aware of Sierra having factory rejects for sale. It always bothered me hornady had so many reject to sell while the other manufactures did not. It has always seemed to me that Sierra consistently for years have had the most accurate, repeatable bullets available from a large manufacturer.

Sierra has a "seconds" store on the premises, they sell "blems" by the pound there. Some of the .30 caliber bullets I've bought there outshot the boxed bullets handily. They are mighty good bullets, sold at a decent price, too.

As for the OP, I'm still shooting a lot of Sierras every year, although I have a hard time finding them sometimes. The 39gr. BlitzKing in .204" is THE bullet to beat in most .204 rifles, it's the gold standard among the 'regular' bullets. That keeps them in the "hard to find" category a lot of the time. Sierra seems to be doing fine, as far as I can tell.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that the "seconds" from all of the major companies are cosmetic blems.

Aim for the exit hole.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hornadys shoot well for me but they tend to copper foul more than the Sierras.

I buy about equal quantities from each of them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The premise of the thread reminded me of a kid in my school in the early 50s. He once observed the Edsels must be selling like crazy, the local dealer's lot was full of 'em; not quite.

Last edited by boomtube; 02/08/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edsels? Early 50's? Maybe the late 50's? grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Around here the shelves are all green. I still use Sierra and they shoot well. I place them second after Berger. The problem I have is finding Berger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Stupid assumption. Stupid thread.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Edsels? Early 50's? Maybe the late 50's?"

Yeah, you're right. It was so long ago I had forgotten just when it was. I was in high school when my friend made that observation and we both graduated in '59.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sierra has been sending a bunch of bullets to the sand pile since 02.
.338 on down for rifle
.451 on down for pistol

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last I heard, about a year and a half ago, was Sierra was running 3 shifts a day, seven days a week, making one million bullets a day, and still couldn't keep up.
I submit that the reason there were no Sierra bullets on the shelf is due to sales alone; lots of target and varmint shooters here use Sierra bullets.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have plenty of Sierras on the shelves here in Phoenix. I buy in bulk off the net but I do keep an eye on the local stuff just in case.

Greg

GLShooter
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

(Thick head + thin experience) x Stupid assumption = The OP is a [bleep]...

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think they have missed the boat on premiums. Granted you do not need them for all types of hunting but they refuse to get with the times and make a premium bullet.

Some people are looking elsewhere, especially for big game bullets.

Personally I have no use for them.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
this thread is in really bad taste, bashing a really good company....shame on you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look on the bright side, Keith.
More Sierras for US!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
this thread is in really bad taste, bashing a really good company....shame on you!

They are good, nobody denied that. They are just stuck in 1950's technology that is all. The only company stuck there!!!!
Let us not forget they pioneered the jacket core separation concept and nobody does it better! grin They should patent it! Let's face it when you mention jacket core separation Sierra instantly comes to mind!

And it is not bashing them it is constructive criticism. Get with the times guys. Sierra stalk sux!

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tested 16 hunting bullets in my .221 Fireball. The two most accurate bullets of the bunch turned out to be the 40 gr BlitzKing and the 50 gr Blitz Med. Vel.

Both Sierra's.

Who would have guessed?

I think I like Sierra's just fine and think they are a good company.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
you are joking right? the bullet all others are compared to. the us govt loads them. a bulk of the hp shooters load them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roninflag
...... the us govt loads them.......

That is because Sierra was the lowest bidder.
Believe me I KNOW Gov't contract practices. grin

μολὼν λαβέ

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Fotis
I think they have missed the boat on premiums. Granted you do not need them for all types of hunting but they refuse to get with the times and make a premium bullet.

Some people are looking elsewhere, especially for big game bullets.

Personally I have no use for them.

I don't think they're missing any boat.

We "convince" ourselves that we need so-called "premium" bullets to kill deer.

Millions of deer have died for many decades with simple cup and core bullets, long before Barnes (and others), solid copper, plastic tipped, etc stuff was ever even dreamed of.

Sierra recognizes that, and chooses to stay with their bread and butter designs. They do what they do very well.

As noted earlier as well, big game hunters aren't even Sierra's main focus, and the company seems to be doing just fine by leaning towards the target and varmint crowds, while still offering proven stuff to the big game guys as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Savage99,
You don't do much competiton shooting do you? I used to shoot with a guy who shot 1,500 168 MatchKings per month.
He doesn't shoot any more so maybe they have more to go around now.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot an openmind and Sierra is way down on my list of viable candidates. There was a time when they rated much higher in my book,but they're stagnant like few others and I cain't suffer them concessions.

Tough to get giddy about a 168SMK..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tough to get giddy about a 168SMK...

Especially if that's the performance envelope desired, then the Nosler clone can be had for far less by the thousand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be inclined to fling A-Max and groove on their terminal affects to boot.

But if really mad at paper,the 155 Scenar is a tough act to follow..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
whelennut,

While I have retired from active competition it used to be the central focus of my life! And Sierra bullets were #1 with me for centerfire rifle.

I shot smallbore gallery every Thursday night from three or four positions and the Big Bore leagues on weekends. I also competed and ran running deer shoots, bench rest and some pistol.

Sierra bullets were all that I used for the centerfire competition from my 243 and 6mm Rem. International rifles. When I saw that the shelves in a very large gunshop were filled with Hornady bullets and almost no Sierras I started this topic in, what I intended to be, a cooperative tone. I wish Sierra the very best. They helped me win many matches.

In fact I have won many high average awards in more than one league along with setting high score records and perfect scores.

The range where I did much of my shooting, the Blue Trail Range in CT is now closed on the 50 (yes 50) firing points at 200 yds due to an inadequate backstop. I stood there recently and stared down range without my rifle. It was a very sad feeling.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Unfortunately I'm limited to 300 yards most of the time. So for easy 308 playing around I save a C-note on the bulk Nosler.

I shoot the A-Max, just not in the same large quantity.

Didn't you (or maybe Pat) say the 155 Scenar was pretty good on deer?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm limited solely by mood.

Scenars trump SMK's in terminal affects,ugly style................

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The SMK and clone Nosler are just paper, steel, and jug hitters for me.

The C-Note saved goes toward a thousand .224" V-Maxes or Bal Tips. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I savvy................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is that picture I took of the 200 yd range at the Lyman's Blue Trail range.

In the distance you can see the very low hills. They are not high enough these days what with more houses..............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow!??! 200yds.

That's cool.............

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
True its only 200 yds however it still takes an accurate rifle and of course the marksmanship. In fact if your second shot is too perfect it may hit the pin from the spotter on your last shot.

You get a minute a shot for the 25 shot match plus sighters. If they have to patch that hole the spotter pin makes getting shattered it takes away your time.

Anything like that can shake you up.

The rifle I shot last there, the best I used and I won the most with is a Remington 40 in 6mm Rem. International. I shot out the factory barrel and had it rebarrled with a Douglas. It came with the Marksman stock but I got a thumb hole stock for it to match my .22 gallery rifle.

I have the leather coat, slings, cuffs, mat, spotting scope, all of that.

With hundreds shooting, 50 at a time, there was competition!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the 40X 6mm Int. with a test scope.

The matches were fired with irons.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm limited solely by mood.

Scenars trump SMK's in terminal affects,ugly style................

So how is a Scenar better than a SMK, terminallly speaking?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Besides utter and sheer reliability? Or in broad terms?

Feel free to wax as eloquently as you dare in their regard.

I'm much lookin' forward to humor of that magnitude................

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've used the SMK's on mule deer and elk and they all died, but the bullet usually always came apart.

Never used the Scenars and just wondered how they were better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SMK's will zook,pencil or get otherwise squirrely and often. Scenars do not.

I'd much rather 155Scenar in a 30,than 155,68,75 or anything else SMK...upon Critters..............

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Any experience with the 6.5 123 or 139 Scenars?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A more approp. title would have been Sierra has lost the hunting market.

They obviously don't give a schit about the hunting market, which tells me, as JB pointed out, the target and varmint market is all they care about.

Still, losing market share in your business is never a good thing.

Staying stagnant is also not a good thing. I say it will eventually catch up with them.

I could be wrong....I was wrong once I think...

Tony

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WillFish

The 123 rates building a rifle around.

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hicountry
A more approp. title would have been Sierra has lost the hunting market.

They obviously don't give a schit about the hunting market, which tells me, as JB pointed out, the target and varmint market is all they care about.

Still, losing market share in your business is never a good thing.

Staying stagnant is also not a good thing. I say it will eventually catch up with them.

I could be wrong....I was wrong once I think...

Tony

Sierra was tough to whoop for a good while...but them days is long gone.

Hornady has made the most amazing about face in the Industry and is to be commended for same. They've looked forward down the road and Sierra is gawking behind themelves perpetually.

That never don't get costly..............

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

The 123 rates building a rifle around.

Hint................

Think 1 in 10 will stabilize a 123 going around 3200fps?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not craft a 6.5 less than 9".....................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Savage99,
My highpower days are over. Aged 56 and the eyes are not up to it anymore. Iron sights and old men are not a good combo.
We still have a 1000 yd range in our state.
F class is the game for us old farts. Using a scope does seem like cheating though. grin
I just don't see any point in mudslinging. Any shots not in the aiming black can't be blamed on me shooting Sierras IMO.
They are plenty good for deer hunting as far as I'm concerned.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Fotis
I think they have missed the boat on premiums....

I don't think they're missing any boat......

Really? What premiums do they make if some one is shopping for some?

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used the SMK's on mule deer and elk and they all died, but the bullet usually always came apart.

Scenars are just for paper punching and never for game, they have less expansion than fmj's.
I have several gong's made of Hardox500 steel without hardly even a scratch after thousands of rounds fired at them, one has a hole in it that mic's at .338 made by a 250gr Scenar.....zero expansion !!!!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't think that they care if anyone is looking for premiums or not. They don't care because that is not the market they are working to serve.

They are content and successful making what they make. Good for them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

They are content and successful making what they make.

1950's technology c&c bullets. WOW. Ground breaking.
Sure if one can settle for that then They are top notch. The best at it! Not too many things come apart like a gameking! grin

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God invented the 257Wby and 100SGK's for felines atop fenceposts..............(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or prairie dingos........

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Scenars are just for paper punching and never for game, they have less expansion than fmj's.
I have several gong's made of Hardox500 steel without hardly even a scratch after thousands of rounds fired at them, one has a hole in it that mic's at .338 made by a 250gr Scenar.....zero expansion !!!!!!!

Never hunted with 250 Scenars have you? I assure you they expand.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Performance on steel doesn't correlate well with performance on game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Okay, without reading through eight pages...Sierra is one of the most accurate bullets available, and I shoot them, especially the .224 diameter ones. Next, the Sierra Game King soft point and hollow point are more than adequate for deer-sized game at normal velocities, so for my hunting and target needs they are fine.

Nothing wrong with something that works. You tailor the bullet to the job at hand. If you are going after heavier game, get a more expensive premium to gain the penetration, confidence, performance etc. needed. Sierra has lost nothing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good point.
I get my Sierra bullets from a high master who orders big drop shipments. I almost forgot they are sold in stores. grin
I used to get small amounts from Midway until they started charging for shipping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JStor
Okay, without reading through eight pages...Sierra is one of the most accurate bullets available, and I shoot them, especially the .224 diameter ones. Next, the Sierra Game King soft point and hollow point are more than adequate for deer-sized game at normal velocities, so for my hunting and target needs they are fine.

Nothing wrong with something that works. You tailor the bullet to the job at hand. If you are going after heavier game, get a more expensive premium to gain the penetration, confidence, performance etc. needed. Sierra has lost nothing.

I'd say in fairness that the .224" lineup is Sierra's weakest link. Would also state that few things is more zookie than a SGK.

The fair statement is "Sierra has improved nothing". That being said,I hope they turn the corner,becauseCompetition is that which do the Consumer the most favors...................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Never hunted with 250 Scenars have you? I assure you they expand.

rosco1, I would love to hear your hunting experience with these bullet's. I assure you they dont expand.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick,

How could the .224 lineup be considered the weakest link when they work just fine? On paper they give excellent five shot groups or ten shot groups or forty shot groups, and when they hit the varmint the animal is deader than a stump.

("Sierra has improved nothing.") I guess I don't see why they should improve what already works well, just because a number of internet folks start a discussion on it. We have a vast choice of bullets, so if someone deems the Sierra products as unacceptable, there are plenty of premiums with premium prices, plus there are plenty of other manufacturers with the standard cup and core construction...that work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cite a bullet in their lineup,that can hang with a 75A-Max's BC/terminal affects.

You guess,because you gotta guess..................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
80 gr SHPBTMK shoots 2" higher at 600 yards than the 75 AMAX in the 22/244 IMP and will make a varmint VERY dead. Same load, same sight setting both starting out at 3600 fps.

Have yet to try the 90 gr Berger, might actually do better, starting a bit slower.

No guesswork involved, working on second Lilja barrel. Over 3000 rounds downrange.

Your caliber ? Barrel ? Twist ? Experience ? Documented results ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are lying out your ass and couldn't get to 25yds with your crossed eyes...but am digging the humor!..............

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
the two bullets should be very close in deed the sierra 80gr. list bc. is .420 while the 75 a-max is .435 so on paper the a-max should be very slightly flater but real world my not always be so

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Should","might","mebbe","nearly","almost","sorta" isn't too compelling.

The 75A-Max in the flesh,is however.

Pun there too..................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Only the stick would think BC is the only factor that determines trajectory.

Is he still trolling ? All I see is:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Try it, you'll like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only a WindowLicker would surmise that a greater BC at a faster launch speed...wouldn't shoot flatter.

Dig the Jeff-O imitation,talkin' about boolits you've never even seen...let alone shot,as if you had.

Next you'll be feigning "ignore".

Laffin'!...................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is he still trolling ? All I see is:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Try it, you'll like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just letting you have all the slack on the rope,that you THINK you can handle.

In fairness,the only leg you've got to stand upon,is a keen insider's insight to retardation...which is riveting!

Laffin'!...............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Dig the Jeff-O imitation,talkin' about boolits you've never even seen...let alone shot,as if you had.

Had more than a few dis-agreements with you on several topic's and I'm sure I will have more in the future but you nailed this one.............good post laffin' also...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sheesh, where are my waders?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't spook the hole,there's lotsa windows gettin' licked.....................(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I don't think that they care if anyone is looking for premiums or not. They don't care because that is not the market they are working to serve.

They are content and successful making what they make. Good for them.

Sounds about like Remington; and that's not a slight toward either necessarily.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cannot blame them one bit.

As a group, humans tend to dump on successful people or businesses. There's some jealousy in this I think.

Sierra is making money and their production line is running full out. They will change things when sales dictate.

I wish that I was that successful. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage_99: I use lots of Sierra bullets in LOTS of Rifles and calibers - I do not seem to have any problems obtaining what I need.
Indeed about 20 months ago I had to switch all five of my 204 Ruger caliber Varmint Rifles from the Berger bullets TO Sierra's excellent 32 grain BlitzKings - the reason was lack of availabiltiy of the Bergers and the ease of availability of the Sierra's.
I do not use any Sierra bullets for Big Game but for targets and Varmints I use a LOT of them every year.
I have NO idea as to what is going on at the Sierra plant but again I obtain all the Sierra's I need and see them on the store shelves all across the west.
I'll start paying more attention though as I do not want to be caught short.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just to repeat: 2" higher @ 600.

Most real shooters put the bullets on paper to validate what some chart tells them.

As I may be the only shooter here to own a 22/244 IMP who has tested almost every bullet (except VLD Bergers) out to 600, I can only go by what the chronograph and the target says.

Come on down and we'll go up to the range. Appears there are lots of folks in the lower 48 who would like to have you come for visit. I'll kick in $25.00 for the bus fare .... can we get a collection started ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess the ruse of pretending to "Ignore" wore off. Imagine that(pun intended).

Just to repeat,you are a [bleep] clueless idiot,who only shoots her mouth. Be sure to cite the chronograph which enables the 80gr SMK to exit the muzzle faster than a 75A-Max...they'll sell like hotcakes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A real question (forwarded to me by another member as it is worth answering)

Aside from the name calling, why don't you read the original post that said they were both REPEAT BOTH starting out @3600. So .......

I know you:
-don't own the caliber
-have no idea why it exists
-don't know the barrel length or twist
-are just repeating your same moronic pseudo swear words and insults

Facts are facts, supported by targets, witnesses and printed out data. So ........

it's obvious you don't know when not to lay your dick on the anvil when the other guy has the hammer (albeit a small one)

BTW, got two more PMs, your bus fare fund is up to $75.00 ........

"Just to repeat,you are a [bleep] clueless idiot, who only shoots her mouth."
must make your Momma proud!

Last edited by shooter4570; 02/22/11.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just checked my shelf and found 27 boxes of Sierra bullets.
I won't have to buy any for awhile, but that doesn't mean I'm not shooting them. grin
whelennut

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shooter4570
...BTW, got two more PMs, your bus fare fund is up to $75.00...

Thank goodness they were sent as PMs. No point polluting the forum.

Have at it, you guys! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A real question (forwarded to me by another member as it is worth answering)

Aside from the name calling, why don't you read the original post that said they were both REPEAT BOTH starting out @3600. So .......

I know you:
-don't own the caliber
-have no idea why it exists
-don't know the barrel length or twist
-are just repeating your same moronic pseudo swear words and insults

Facts are facts, supported by targets, witnesses and printed out data. So ........

it's obvious you don't know when not to lay your dick on the anvil when the other guy has the hammer (albeit a small one)

BTW, got two more PMs, your bus fare fund is up to $75.00 ........

"Just to repeat,you are a [bleep] clueless idiot, who only shoots her mouth."
must make your Momma proud!

Ahhhhh...the "dreaded" Secret Squirrel Society's untold PM depths. Rankin' right up there with the imaginary "Ignore". I would say in fairness,that the only way to give an SMK a chance,is to start pulling spark plugs on an A-Max.

As to the 22x57AI,it ain't for me,due to COAL and .243" splendors. Though in fairness,I hate my 6x57AI too.

Keep that Imagination rollin',you're on fire.....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
I just checked my shelf and found 27 boxes of Sierra bullets.
I won't have to buy any for awhile, but that doesn't mean I'm not shooting them. grin
whelennut

Quick peek reveals,I've no more than 30 boxes of Sierra,in a given diameter/weight......................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Funny how Sierra's match wins are so much higher than Hornady.

No doubt Sierra has black ops folks working at Hornady undercover to sabotage the bullets.

"2" HIGHER at 600". Note the absence of any factual response to that nor any knowledge of the 22/244 IMP. A consistent pattern noted by several other posters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feel free to cite the rifle that drives 80's at 75 speed?

Use ALL of your Imagination and feel free to PM feverishly to all of The Secret Squirrel Society.

Laffin'!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Besides, gents, BS needs a FERRY ticket. Or he could swim to Prince Rupert.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only Sierra made sumptin' that trumped the 75A-Max.................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you suppose he just cannot read ?

The rifle has been cited
The cartridge has been cited
The velocity has been cited
Even the barrel maker has been cited

He does not own the rifle
He has no gun chambered for the cartridge
He has no experience with either, shooting either bullet

But he is the expert ....... really sad to repeat over and over making a fool of oneself.

A "ferry" ticket ? How appropriate !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My "trouble" is...I actually shoot and not with Imagination.

Give that one a whirl some time!

Laffin'...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a bogus comparison to start a lighter bullet at the same velocity as a heavier bullet to show the heavier bullet is superior. Run em both at max velocity, and then let the results fall where they may.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She don't shoot anything other than Imagination and that poorly too................

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shooter4570
Bryan Litz tested the BC for a number of bullets for his book including the 75 Gr Amax and the 80 Gr SMK and the Sierra ended up with a .425 G1 average over 900+ yards and the Amax ended up with .414 over the same distance. This could explain the difference you are seeing on paper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He must be wrong because Bigstick says so ........ he he he !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sticky can't help not keeping his post count up by britch'n about something.

SMK 77's are high power bullets NOT for hunting - so he's out of luck.

Instead of complaining he should be asking them to make a gameking 77 grain version for his 223.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I stated simple facts,that are still going over your head.

I'll feign my "surprise".................

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
i am will to bet you stick have never shot any 77 or 80 gr. sierra's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You like to lose money and lick windows..................

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
window licker ? LOL if you only really knew but if you say you tried them all guess i lose where do i send my .25$ too? thats about what I think you word is worth

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He is known for having shot every gun, every powder, every case & primer, every caliber, every scope as well as owning the largest horrible collection of rattle cans in the known world. I am amazed you could doubt anything he says.

All you have to do is look at the books he has written and articles he has had published by all the major gun and hunting publications.

Why he even has his own Website (and don't say, that just because NAMBLA has one too that proves nothing!)

In fact, based on his unquestioned expertise, I am switching to Hornadys because I want to shoot lower at long range and who cares that Sierra wins 10 times as many matches ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
window licker ? LOL if you only really knew but if you say you tried them all guess i lose where do i send my .25$ too? thats about what I think you word is worth

Feel free to cite any inaccuracies you THINK I've made. I said(say) simply,that a 75A-Max at like pressure,will outfly the 80SMK at like pressure in the same rifle.

Welcome to reality...might I suggest you give it a whirl,if only for a change?..............

Laffin'.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He is known for having shot every gun, every powder, every case & primer, every caliber, every scope as well as owning the largest horrible collection of rattle cans in the known world. I am amazed you could doubt anything he says.

All you have to do is look at the books he has written and articles he has had published by all the major gun and hunting publications.

Why he even has his own Website (and don't say, that just because NAMBLA has one too that proves nothing!)

In fact, based on his unquestioned expertise, I am switching to Hornadys because I want to shoot lower at long range and who cares that Sierra wins 10 times as many matches ?

The only thing you shoot is Imagination and your mouth.

Not that the melding ain't [bleep] routinely hialrious!.................

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

um now where do i find these publications and books by big stick in the hunting and shooting or comadey and si-fi area ? grin

Last edited by ldholton; 02/25/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Exceedingly good call,to refrain boolits.

Laffin'!.................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You don't because the gross quantity is ZERO.

Now that we have the facts that the 80 Sierra is superior at long range, you'ld think he might shut up. Don't hold your breath.

He's a fixture, rather like crabs in a Milne brothel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fact is,that you are well beyond clueless and a cross-eyed drooling retard.

Which don't hurt the humor none.

You go girl!..................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even on "ignore" he can't STFU.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even in your Imagination,you can't "ignore".

Or shoot,or have a [bleep] clue.

But it is ALL funny!..............

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Stick must still reload with a single stage press to be that grumpy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How does a guy get grumpy,laffin' at do-nothin' retards and their "exploits"?

You [bleep] idiots never don't not crack me up.................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

He gets grumpy living in a [bleep] of bummed-out trailers, 55 gallon drums, and general trash.
He gets grumpy being up to his azz in snow 14 months out of the year and azz deep in mud the rest of the time.
BUT the main, number one reason you get grumpy is being you. How do you handle the shame?

"never don't not crack me up...." Are you a product of the public school system in Alaska? Are you a product of the public school system anywhere? BTW, the correct term is "bullets", not "boolits". It would seem that with all of your alledged experience and knowledge, you would know that.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Them that bitch the most,have done the least. You Do-nothin' dumbphucks crack me up.

Congratulations?

Laffin'!..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

He gets grumpy living in a [bleep] of bummed-out trailers, 55 gallon drums, and general trash.
He gets grumpy being up to his azz in snow 14 months out of the year and azz deep in mud the rest of the time.
BUT the main, number one reason you get grumpy is being you. How do you handle the shame?

"never don't not crack me up...." Are you a product of the public school system in Alaska? Are you a product of the public school system anywhere? BTW, the correct term is "bullets", not "boolits". It would seem that with all of your alledged experience and knowledge, you would know that.

Sweetie..."alledged" was a very nice way to drive your copious stupidity home and do rate special mention,in and of itself.

You go girl!..................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You been around long enough to remember when he posted pictures of himself ?

Happily not in a Speedo !

Let's just say he could be a poster boy for elevator shoes, SlimFast and Rogaine.

What is most entertaining is his ability to never answer a direct question EVER.

Response are ALWAYS either insults or his convoluted attempts to speak English.

Too bad an OP cannot delete troll garbage from his thread ...... the little needle briar thorn (if you get my drift) would have no one to talk to except the guy in the mirror mounted 24" off the floor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take notes and apply same. Your "reality" ain't doing you no favors on the learnin' curve.

Thank me later................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Room Temperature I.Q. continues to manifest itself ..... and that's about 40 F in Milne ! The curve he needs to examine is that of normal distribution. His mental ability is WAY over on the right side "definitely less than others".

Imagine his "reality" comes out of a bottle of Night Train Express. he he he

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell yourself whatcha must,to justify talkin' out your ass,about things you've never seen or done.

Just keep the ball rollin',as it don't get any funnier!................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you noted what a "non-event" you have become on this site ?

Appears that most have figured you out and you're just not getting the attention on which you thrive.

Note you've dropped the quote about being let back on.

Perhaps you have finally figured out that exposure to sunlight it the best cure for a fungus.

So Nobody becomes nobody ......... he he he he.

Dollar to a dime this thread is dead.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your Imagination is taking you places again.

Bless your heart and that lazy eye.................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ROFLMAO!!!! It is a huge laugh when someone like POS accuses someone else of being delusional. You really do need help, Dopey. Maybe Doc or Snow White can hook you up.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As per always,feel free to cite where you think I'm "mistaken" and I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity.....................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're repeating the repeated trite, silly one-liners again. You need some new material. Or are you like one of those dolls with a string hanging out of its back?? When someone gives you a drink of water do you wet your pants and need your diaper changed? Not only are you mistaken, you are a mistake. An excellent argument for birth control.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You know better than to cite anything other than your insecurities and practice your whine,which happens to be a very good one.

I'm simply a fast twist .224 Fan and am steeped in the wares commensurate,due to their performance.

You go girl!...............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Personally, I really like Sierra bullets. I try more and more new bullets every year, but I always go back to Sierra's. I think demand has a lot to do with availability. As a whole, they shoot as good or better than anything out there. Just watch the availability of 120 gr Prohunters in .264. - once stock comes in it doesn't last long.....people buy em as soon as they can get their hands on em.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of the bullets for sale in the largest reloading gunshop in my area (CT). Its where I got the idea that Sierra was not as popular as I perceived them when I started out handloading.

[Linked Image]

As you can see Hornady dominates the bullets for sale with very few of the Sierra green boxes there. There are even far more Barnes bullets for sale!

Sierra is the bullet that I shot in most of my centerfire matches. They did very well. I trusted them.

I shot my first few deer with Sierras and by far the most chucks and crows with Sierras. They are super accurate.

I just wanted to say that I noted that they don't seem to have the volume there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy sierras when ever I can find the weights I shoot in 264wm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, THAT explains it! You're in Connecticut! You have LIBERALS there!

Just kidding.

I am however impressed...can you actually walk up to that wall or is it behind a counter by some liberal law?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

You can walk up to it and select what you want. On the lower right a 5# jug of RL 17 was about $125 and a pound there is about $25. No savings for the jug!

No Federal 210M's there. frown [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 Bucks A Pound! Wow, taxes and rent must be high there. Or the Mafia needs their cut?

Still, that's a very nice display. Don't you wish it was all yours for free?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well, 2-3 shots to check the zero and another to kill an elk,and one to kill a deer, once a year,100 Sierras last me a long time.Maybe that is why there are so many Hornadys.It just takes more bullets to get the job done. Ya think!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could be right. The Sierra 100 gr HP does a nasty thing on deer with 72gr H4831 pushing it from my 264wm and its a tack driver.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Went to BP in town last week to get some bullets and they just recieved a shipment, I went back last nite for some more and sierra bullets was wiped out in all calibers but plenty of Hornady,Barnes,Nosler.

Predator Unlimited
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sierra is still my #1 choice. Their #1400 Matchkings are the most accurate in my 22-250 and .222 Rem. Mag. Also the cheapest at $79.99 per 500.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,839
Posts18,478,119
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.