Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah the memories.I still have 12 & 16 ga. Herters filler and over powder wads in original boxes that I made my old duck loads with.They were grenades with 30 something grs. of Herco!!

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Herter's boats. A buddy of mine (aged 60) has one that belonged to his granddad. Neat little boat and trailer combo.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some assorted Herters stuff around. 270 winchester brass, loading tools, a recurve glass bow, even a tobacco pipe with Herters on the stem.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot the Wasp Waist Sonics in my 722 222 back in the day.
They shot as well as Sierra softpoints (1958) and killed Woodchucks just fine.
Loaded those 222s on a Herter Press, dies, scale and measure.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I remember getting the Herters catalog when I was a kid. Spent lots of time looking at all the great stuff. I think the only thing I still have from them is a roll of blue muzzle tape. Seems as though every time I used it the deer got scared off.:)

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do have a copy of their "Professional Guide's Manual."

You are absolutely right: if you tried about half of the "tips" in it these days, you'd go directly to jail. They stopped short of actually recommending dynamite, but ... LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Dad, who was born in 1928, had a school friend who lived right on the Cree Crossing of the Milk River. My Dads friend lived real close to the land and was a bonafide gun-nut, shooter, and hunter. Mark told me once that he would buy 1000 .30 cal bullets from Herters at one time. 500 150 gr flat nose for his .30/30s and 500 150 gr spitzers for his .30/06. Along with war surplus powder, his reloading was fairly inexpensive. Marks Mod 70 was a real Montana classic....pre war, .30/06 with a Lyman Alaskan scope on it. The stock was cracked at the wrist and a glob of dried glue still clung to the wrist where he repaired it. Blue worn, some speckles of old rust on some of the metal work, varnish just about all gone. He told me on a couple of occaisions that many mornings he would go down to his boat early in the morning an would wipe the frost off of it before he went out to thin out the local beaver population. A hell of a guy and a hell of a rifle. I wonder how many Herters bullets went down that tube.

C
C
I am researching a silver medal issued by Herter's that has the legend "HERTER'S DUBILL DOLLAR" on it.
Does anybody know anything about this medal?
Does anybody have any idea what "DUBILL" refers to?
Thanks.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They didn't seem to be shy about copying other folk's products.

Don't know whether they ever got in trouble over patent infringement.

Earlier I posted about the theory that they used to make money on the "float" when customers ordered and paid for stuff, and Herter's took their sweet time about delivering. Later there was a law passed that required delivery within a certain time. I do recall that back in the '60s it took them forever to ship stuff.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I have some of their old catalogs. Its fun to look through those. I don't know when they closed shop.

The last catalog I got was 1979. They had one in Mitchell, SD I went to when I was in High School.....paradise to a young hunter/fisherman!

I still have some unopened packages of snelled fishing hooks.

Originally Posted by CaptHenway
I am researching a silver medal issued by Herter's that has the legend "HERTER'S DUBILL DOLLAR" on it.
Does anybody know anything about this medal?
Does anybody have any idea what "DUBILL" refers to?
Thanks.

Welcome to the campfire. That is one item I don't recall.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still have a 1958 catalog and some assorted reloading bits and pieces. Friend still reloads with one of their big ol' heavy presses.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ride in my buddy Herter's duck boat often. It's a '69 Vintage, I believe. Still gets us where we want to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to love reading the Herter's catalog, that man really had a flair for describing his products! I wonder if he believed his own BS. I still have a set of his "Bullcook Receipes" cookbook and his thick reloading manual.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I grew up with Herter's- my grandfather used to order quite a bit out of their catalog. We have two of their boats up in Canada; a 14' Model Alaska and a 16' Yukon. Both do well in the North Channel of Lake Huron. I still collect their stuff when I see it as estate sales and auctions. Cablela's bought out their remaining stock and have rights to the Herter's brand name. I thought I saw some cheap Russian bulk ammo rebadged with the Herter's label on it at the store in Elgin.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a few hundred Herters large rifle primers.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a copy of the Guide Book, my neighbor gave it to me for splitting some wood for him. Nice guy, the neighbor......

I tripped over a set of .30/06 dies awhile back, and used them for my loading. I dunno who made them for him, but they are excellent dies. Beat the heck outa the RCBS dies I already had. I just put the RCBS dies in storage after trying the Herter's.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the early sixties my dad got me some reloading tools from Herters. They're still all set up at his house, and about twice a year he reminds me it's all mine. I won't forget. I think there's a Herter's catalog somewhere in the stuff, too.

My press is the one that surrounds the ram 180-degrees. I can't imagine a stronger press.

I never understood the half horse, half fish critter in their logo.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first press was a second-hand Herter's. I also had some .357 dies that came complete with some of the extra material that had been cut from the threads and created crooked cases.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got a old Herters reloading outfit the other day. Tha scale and trickler have cast iron bases and weigh a ton. The scale has a paddle on the beam that swings in oil to dampen movement. The press is very heavy. I suspect this stuff is from the 1930's??

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Growing up on a rural farm & with little money I read the Herters catalog through & through. In the early 60's, while attending college & just after, I purchased a lot of fishing kits from them. My favorite reading was the Herters catalog, Field & Stream, & Outdoor Life. Field & Stream had an annual fishing contest with citations & award coins. Somewhere I have a bunch of these old citations & coins with the weights of the fish I caught. Many were on lures I made from Herters kits. Another favorite was The Southern Sportsman Guide. This large Sears Roebuck size magazine has all sorts of hunting & fishing stories & advertisements. I still have a copy from the 60's. Might be worth something to a collector. Great old hunting & fishing stories. I was told the owner of Herters died & the daughter tried to run the business. Times were changing with no mail order gun sales & she probably had little management knowledge & interest. They imported a Mauser rifle from Europe that was a great buy.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,544
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.